DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Things You Do NOT Get With The Crystalsky......

I've often wondered what Chinese people think of us in general while they work on assembly lines. However this must be puzzling to them as well. They work for months, maybe years designing and engineering the most compact and feature rich drone in history only to have us constantly add stuff to it to make it less portable! Hahaha! Those must be interesting meetings between the engineers and marketing.

"So you know those $1000 monitors you designed for the Inspire and Mattrice? Well it seems that people want to use them with the Mavic and the Spark."

"Say what? But the smallest monitor is larger and heavier than the controller and also about the size of the drone!" "Have you any idea how much time it took to get everything in that little purse of a bag?"

"Hey these crazy westerners want to use the CS monitors with the Mavic and Spark so make a mount pronto!"

"Okay we're on it, comrade!"

I just share some pictures of my project to show the possibilitie to use a CrystalSky 7.85" monitor on Mavic Pro RC... I bought this monitor (more thank $1000 CAD) for my Inspire 1 and I love his screen size and the brightness. I create this mount to use my monitor with both bird. I fly my drones 90% on backyard (1/4 mile x 1 mile)... and when I'm going elsewhere, I have enough place in my car to carry my Inspire 1, my Mavic Pro... and my mount :). I understand your point of view and I agree with you ... each has his own needs and finds the solutions that suit him Thumbswayup

And not to be bringing it up again, but the worst is the lack of support in getting an update to the outdated GO4 app! Why bother with new features when they are not available to us? If it was something like geofencing, it would be done today.

20171028_143606.jpg 20171028_135022.jpg I just wanted to share my setting... the possibility of using a CS 7.85 " with a Mavic Pro or Spark ... nothing more!

I just share some pictures of my project to show the possibilitie to use a CrystalSky 7.85" monitor on Mavic Pro RC... I bought this monitor (more thank $1000 CAD) for my Inspire 1 and I love his screen size and the brightness. I create this mount to use my monitor with both bird. I fly my drones 90% on backyard (1/4 mile x 1 mile)... and when I'm going elsewhere, I have enough place in my car to carry my Inspire 1, my Mavic Pro... and my mount :). I understand your point of view and I agree with you ... each has his own needs and finds the solutions that suit him Thumbswayup

Oh of course, and I'm not putting you down at all. In fact, since you have an Inspire, you are the target consumer. You spent over $2,000 or more for your drone and your drone was designed to use a tablet in the first place so it makes a lot more sense!

I find the whole Mavic/Crystal Sky thing hilarious because we recently had a long discussion with guys that were angry their $30, four year old phones weren't working very well with the newest versions of the app. Now here there's anger that the $1000+ monitor isn't optimized for the $1000 or $500 drones in the company's lineup.

View attachment 24003 View attachment 24002 I just wanted to share my setting... the possibility of using a CS 7.85 " with a Mavic Pro or Spark ... nothing more!

Hey I said that it looks really good! I was just making a joke about the Chinese company's that make our products and what they must think of us! I'm not just talking about drones but all of the garbage they make for us everyday! I mean think about the absolutely worthless, waste of money junk they watch go down assembly lines... It boggles the mind what this controlled, communist, utilitarian culture must think about us every day. They must think we're nuts!

And not to be bringing it up again, but the worst is the lack of support in getting an update to the outdated GO4 app! Why bother with new features when they are not available to us? If it was something like geofencing, it would be done today.

Hey, one in a thousand use Crystal Sky with the Mavic, the other 999 use an android or iPhone. I'm really surprised that people are willing to drop that kind of cash on a monitor that does nothing but fly drones, for drones that cost as much or less than the monitor itself. I'm guessing that it took DJI by surprise as well. Although, I do agree with the idea that they need to understand their consumer base better. They are constantly caught "off guard" with how much money we're willing to part with for our toys! On the other hand, having owned the Solo, I've seen what happens when a company over estimates their consumer base and how much they're willing to spend, so... Maybe DJI is right keep the volume of their products down.

Last edited:
Hey, one in a thousand use Crystal Sky with the Mavic, the other 999 use an android or iPhone. I'm really surprised that people are willing to drop that kind of cash on a monitor that does nothing but fly drones, for drones that cost as much or less than the monitor itself. I'm guessing that it took DJI by surprise as well. Although, I do agree with the idea that they need to understand their consumer base better. They are constantly caught "off guard" with how much money we're willing to part with for our toys! On the other hand, having owned the Solo, I've seen what happens when a company over estimates their consumer base and how much they're willing to spend, so... Maybe DJI is right keep the volume of their products down.
I just needed something that I could reliably see in the sunlight. I also ordered my P4P without + so that I can use it between the two.

When I bought my first drone (3 years ago), I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab ($ 550 CAD)... since 6 months I use the CS and it is really better on sunny days. I know that there are not only advantages but despite the price, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

I just needed something that I could reliably see in the sunlight. I also ordered my P4P without + so that I can use it between the two.

Well, I think that the P4P was on their list of target products. Remind me, does the P4P use quick shots? I'm not sure but I don't think so. In any case, any one can spend their money however they want. It just seems strange to buy a monitor that costs 2/3 as much as the drone, that isn't any brighter than the phone in your pocket and that can't be used for anything else when you're not flying.

When I bought my first drone (3 years ago), I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab ($ 550 CAD)... since 6 months I use the CS and it is really better on sunny days. I know that there are not only advantages but despite the price, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

To each his own for sure!

I'm in the CS 5.5 + Mavic camp, not because I wanted to spend the money or carry another device, I just didn't have anything else that was bright enough or reliable enough to use how I wanted.

I started with an iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 5S, but they were difficult to see outdoors and it often had issues with CPU overload messages and choppy video. My current phone is a 6S Plus which works better, but still sometimes has the CPU overload messages and I'd rather not use my daily phone as the drone device.

Then I picked up a couple 2013 Nexus 7 tablets off ebay, with and without cellular, as I'd heard they were brighter than the iPad Mini. They would work well occasionally but just as often would have issues where the video would freeze or exhibit severe artifacts. Those issues persisted even after a clean install, rooting, and overclocking the CPU and GPU.

Any other new device I could have gotten that would have been close in brightness would have cost as much or more than the CS, wouldn't have nearly as good battery life, and may or may not work well with DJI Go. So I went with the CS, and while I don't like the extra bulk or having to have another charger, it does at least work much better than the other devices I've used.

I'm in the CS 5.5 + Mavic camp, not because I wanted to spend the money or carry another device, I just didn't have anything else that was bright enough or reliable enough to use how I wanted.

I started with an iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 5S, but they were difficult to see outdoors and it often had issues with CPU overload messages and choppy video. My current phone is a 6S Plus which works better, but still sometimes has the CPU overload messages and I'd rather not use my daily phone as the drone device.

Then I picked up a couple 2013 Nexus 7 tablets off ebay, with and without cellular, as I'd heard they were brighter than the iPad Mini. They would work well occasionally but just as often would have issues where the video would freeze or exhibit severe artifacts. Those issues persisted even after a clean install, rooting, and overclocking the CPU and GPU.

Any other new device I could have gotten that would have been close in brightness would have cost as much or more than the CS, wouldn't have nearly as good battery life, and may or may not work well with DJI Go. So I went with the CS, and while I don't like the extra bulk or having to have another charger, it does at least work much better than the other devices I've used.

Geez! I can see your point! I take it for granted that my S8+ works as well as it does, I guess.

With regards to the lack of a charger for the CS batteries. the reasoning, IMHO, was that the price range of the monitors essentially put them in the professional use range where, I suspect, most pro users will already have either a Phantom of an Inspire both of which come complete with a charger.

With regards to the lack of a charger for the CS batteries. the reasoning, IMHO, was that the price range of the monitors essentially put them in the professional use range where, I suspect, most pro users will already have either a Phantom of an Inspire both of which come complete with a charger.

That's fine and I get it, but I wish it had charging over USB-C as an option, even if it took significantly longer. At least then I could charge via an external battery pack, or let it charge overnight in a hotel.

You only need to carry one charger mate?

Or do you mean a different charger? You're not carrying two chargers are you?

I don't have a single charger that can charge both the Mavic and CS, and I'm not aware that one exists yet. So on a longer trip, I need to carry another charger and the dock for the CS. If the CS could charge over USB, then that would work well enough for me, and I wouldn't need to carry the CS charger and dock.

Ah right, I see...

What I did was to buy a 100w Phantom 4 charger and an 'advanced' Mavic charging hub.

So the P4 charger connects to the Mavic Advanced Hub (it will NOT connect to the standard one). You also then have the added advantage of being able to charge batteries simultaneously, which the Mavic charger can't do (it does them one at a time). You then connect a USB cable from the CS hub, in to your controller to charge that too.

You're then only carrying one charger Thumbswayup

You can then sell the old Mavic charger and standard hub on eBay ;)

Reactions: OneMoreRobot
Ah right, I see...

What I did was to buy a 100w Phantom 4 charger and an 'advanced' Mavic charging hub.

So the P4 charger connects to the Mavic Advanced Hub (it will NOT connect to the standard one). You also then have the added advantage of being able to charge batteries simultaneously, which the Mavic charger can't do (it does them one at a time). You then connect a USB cable from the CS hub, in to your controller to charge that too.

You're then only carrying one charger Thumbswayup

You can then sell the old Mavic charger and standard hub on eBay ;)

We've already covered this. Some people just want to be angry. I'd almost buy the P4P charger and advanced hub just to get the faster charging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3