DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Things You Do NOT Get With The Crystalsky......

I don't have anything against the CS, I really thought about the 7.8 which made more sense. Mostly because my Samsung Tab S2 has less than a 400 nit brightness index. When I called AdventureX to order, they told me that the 7.8 was "clumsy" so I'm sticking with my phone.

I have both the S8+ and Crystalsky, the S8+ at maximum brightness is not 1000nits all the time, it needs to be in auto brightness mode. At this maximum brightness the S8+ chews thru the battery.
Because it's an auto mode, it will depend on the ambient light and the phone will respond to these levels by increasing the brightness up to 1000nits.

This section from display mate explains it , maximum brightness is 610nits in normal mode and this can be set by the user.

Galaxy S8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Screen Brightness and Performance in High Ambient Lighting
Mobile displays are often used under relatively bright ambient lighting, which washes out the image color saturation and contrast, reducing picture quality and making it harder to view or read the screen. To be usable in high ambient light a display needs a dual combination of high Screen Brightness and low Screen Reflectance – the Galaxy S8 has both. This is extremely important for screen readability, picture quality, and color accuracy in ambient light.

The Galaxy S8 is 5 to 10 percent Brighter than the Galaxy S7, and up to 19% Brighter in High Ambient Light with Automatic Brightness. For most image content the Galaxy S8 provides over 460 cd/m2 (Luminance, which is a measure of Brightness sometimes called nits), comparable or higher than most LCD displays in this size class. The measured Brightness on the Home screen is even higher at over 525 nits. When the display Brightness is set Manually with the slider, it can be adjusted to reach a maximum screen Brightness of up to 610 nits, which is impressive. See the Screen Brightnesssection for the measurements and details.

Even Higher Automatic Peak Brightness
On the Galaxy S8 the Maximum Screen Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidNDC
I have both the S8+ and Crystalsky, the S8+ at maximum brightness is not 1000nits all the time, it needs to be in auto brightness mode. At this maximum brightness the S8+ chews thru the battery.
Because it's an auto mode, it will depend on the ambient light and the phone will respond to these levels by increasing the brightness up to 1000nits.

This section from display mate explains it , maximum brightness is 610nits in normal mode and this can be set by the user.

Galaxy S8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Screen Brightness and Performance in High Ambient Lighting
Mobile displays are often used under relatively bright ambient lighting, which washes out the image color saturation and contrast, reducing picture quality and making it harder to view or read the screen. To be usable in high ambient light a display needs a dual combination of high Screen Brightness and low Screen Reflectance – the Galaxy S8 has both. This is extremely important for screen readability, picture quality, and color accuracy in ambient light.

The Galaxy S8 is 5 to 10 percent Brighter than the Galaxy S7, and up to 19% Brighter in High Ambient Light with Automatic Brightness. For most image content the Galaxy S8 provides over 460 cd/m2 (Luminance, which is a measure of Brightness sometimes called nits), comparable or higher than most LCD displays in this size class. The measured Brightness on the Home screen is even higher at over 525 nits. When the display Brightness is set Manually with the slider, it can be adjusted to reach a maximum screen Brightness of up to 610 nits, which is impressive. See the Screen Brightnesssection for the measurements and details.

Even Higher Automatic Peak Brightness
On the Galaxy S8 the Maximum Screen Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed

Yes I have both as well and I can honestly report that the battery on the S8+ lasts longer than 1 1\2 hours which is how long the three batteries I have for my Mavic last and that I've never been unable to see my S8+ display in any conditions. I guess if I go out and buy a dozen Mavic batteries, I'll need a display that lasts over 4 hours on a single charge. Until then it's a non issue. BTW just for the record, I've seen tests where the S8+ lasted over 6 hours with the screen on maximum brightness. Not to mention that it'll recharge in under 2 hours. I guess I don't quite understand the scenario where you require your display to last more than 2 hours, let's say. However, if you do and your phone is running low, you can charge it in your car, carry a power bank, etc. Can you do that with the CS? Sure, if you buy yet another car charger from DJI or a power inverter but not from a charger you probably have in your car already.

I get the argument here and from where it stems. I spent about $700 on a 5.5 display and the needed accessories. I understand why you desperately need to justify this expenditure to yourself. It seems crazy on the surface from a logical standpoint.

The S8+ fits right into the controller using everything that already comes with the Mavic.

The S8+ is as bright as the display of the 5.5 CS (or very close)

The S8+ has a bigger display.

The S8+ can run all of the 3rd party apps lots of guys like to fly with.

The S8+ can perform all of the Quick Shot and Panorama modes the DJI Mavic offers.

The S8+ is waterproof.

The S8+ is thin and light.

The S8+ has built in access to mobile data.

The S8+ is exactly the type of device the Mavic was designed to use as a display.

I like my CS monitor and the DJI mounting setup, for a host of reasons, but to imagine that it is $700 better than the Samsung S8+ is basically ridiculous. Luckily, I don't care about Quick Shots or Panoramas but again, luckily, I have a spare controller that I've programmed as a second on my Mavic that I can use with my S8+ if I do want to use them.

Sweet set up bra! Looks like you must have a long range,What’s your antenna?

Oh maybe you control is just upside down, looked like a mod for long range. I also made my own custom pelican case , you could drop it 30 ft, very safe child inside! Lol

I actually was thinking about getting a CS and the advanced charging Hub to complete my mavic Pro Platinum set. ( Mount and P4 charger)

From the looks of it it seems like it's going to be about 600 plus dollars just to complete this. OUCH!

Oh maybe you control is just upside down, looked like a mod for long range. I also made my own custom pelican case , you could drop it 30 ft, very safe child inside! Lol

Truth! I take my Mavic with me to construction sites and my Lowepro back pack is nice but I didn't have the confidence I have with this case.

I actually was thinking about getting a CS and the advanced charging Hub to complete my mavic Pro Platinum set. ( Mount and P4 charger)

From the looks of it it seems like it's going to be about 600 plus dollars just to complete this. OUCH!

Yep! That'll just cover it... Like I said, I like the thing but it's not THAT great. Oh yeah, don't bother running out and buying a high end 128g micro SD card for it since it doesn't do much of anything. Ask me how I know...

You get 2 batteries with the 7.85" HB version.

Imo the 5.5" is just too small, the 7.85" is perfect, I reckon it's also better value for money and I wouldn't be without mine, I think it's worth its hefty price tag.

Got 2 batteries with mine as well. Ordered the Phantom 4 AC mains charger from Amazon.

Yep! That'll just cover it... Like I said, I like the thing but it's not THAT great. Oh yeah, don't bother running out and buying a high end 128g micro SD card for it since it doesn't do much of anything. Ask me how I know...
I thought 128gb works. I got the SanDisk extreme pro 64gb. I didnt want to spend 60-80 for 128 and put all in one basket. Think at 4k 64 is about 1.5 to 2 hours of footage. I don't see myself going more than 1 hour capturing and flying. At least I haven't done that yet.

I thought 128gb works. I got the SanDisk extreme pro 64gb. I didnt want to spend 60-80 for 128 and put all in one basket. Think at 4k 64 is about 1.5 to 2 hours of footage. I don't see myself going more than 1 hour capturing and flying. At least I haven't done that yet.

Nah what I mean is that the SD card slots don't do anything as far as expanding the CS monitor memory. You can't save to them (as far as I can tell). You can't transfer internal memory to them (again as far as I can tell). You can't even transfer edits to them and I really, really tried!

What you can do is pop in your Mavic SD card in one slot and a blank into the other and transfer that data... Yay... Or onto any USB storage device. Again yay...

If anyone can tell me otherwise, I'm all ears.

Nah what I mean is that the SD card slots don't do anything as far as expanding the CS monitor memory. You can't save to them (as far as I can tell). You can't transfer internal memory to them (again as far as I can tell). You can't even transfer edits to them and I really, really tried!

What you can do is pop in your Mavic SD card in one slot and a blank into the other and transfer that data... Yay... Or onto any USB storage device. Again yay...

You can copy/move files to SD cards in the CS I do it all the time.

Not my video. ..

You can copy/move files to SD cards in the CS I do it all the time.

Not my video. ..

GTFO!!! Ugh, if I have one complaint with DJI, it can be murder to learn all the methods of doing things! Thanks. Yeesh. I know I'm not the only one that thought this.

Can you also change where you save data on the first place? I may as well look as stupid as possible today.

GTFO!!! Ugh, if I have one complaint with DJI, it can be murder to learn all the methods of doing things! Thanks. Yeesh. I know I'm not the only one that thought this.

Can you also change where you save data on the first place? I may as well look as stupid as possible today.

Unfortunately still no option to select/change the default storage or instalation locations but we live in hope that the DJI gods see sense and put this into an update soon :)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Unfortunately still no option to select/change the default storage or instalation locations but we live in hope that the DJI gods see sense and put this into an update soon :)

Whew, okay so I'm not completely stupid! Oh and my big problem isn't moving cache to a card, it's transferring edited video using d trans. I knew there was something. It keeps dropping wifi and ignoring my video but it does move pictures. Weird.

Reactions: The Ghost

I've had no problems moving files around. The built in explorer really sucks so I used a different app to do it.

I've had no problems moving files around. The built in explorer really sucks so I used a different app to do it.

Yes I was not thinking clearly. There problem is Dtrans and edited videos. I'm having trouble wirelessly transferring to my phone.

I have same problem with dtrans as it will copy a picture or sound of a video but no video. Fails every time. Hope this dtrans gets fixed soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21