DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Theory explaining how Mavic could drop down from skies... Your thoughts, please...

I wish there was a law that would put those idiots behind bars for the rest of there lives :mad:
Come on, for a moment I thought I came to a teenager forum where they discuss things vital to the identity of being a teenager [emoji1]

I don't know how you reached irresponsible drivers and flyers again.

Reactions: BudWalker
Thank you. Your entire post is most helpful.
I wish to add. When you witness crashes on YouTube and the like, 99.999999% of the time you hear these guys complaining and saying how DJI Mavic Pro is so bad.

HOWEVER! !!!! Go back and watch their videos they post. What's the obvious problem??? These absolute idiots are completely disabling all the safety measures on the drone. They deserve every loss and every crash. There was a video on YouTube and no, now I can't find it again to show you. But this guy goes through this tutorial on how to make your drone faster and fly higher if you follow his suggestions. How do you think these irresponsible jackasses fly at 4500 meters? It's so impressive huh? What happens when that drone flies straight into an commercial airline engine? It's feasible. What aircraft could handle a catistofic event like that? How funny would it be to watch 300 plus souls parish cause you want to look cool on YouTube? You belong in jail for life for attempted premeditated murder. PERIOD! You purposely removed the altitude restriction, you agreed you were follow all FAA guidelines and you, with intent, placed lives in harms way. Absolutely crystal clear you set out to hurt people and jeopardize their lives in your neglectful actions.

It's *** holes like that that give us responsible pilots bad names and reputations.

Here is what happens to a commercial airline engine when an 5.5 lb bird is ingested into the engine

Mavic Pro weight
  • Weight: 743 g or 1.6 pounds
  • average seagull weight 4.2 pounds
  • Aircraft windshield by PPG = Bird-impact resistant Tested to impact by 2-pound bird at 190 knots
  • Rolls Royce BRR 710 Engine will continue to operate after ingesting a 12 lb frozen turkey ingestion

Reactions: stratos
OK. Now smash it into a pitot or static port and see if it survives or blocks.

Here is what happens to a commercial airline engine when an 5.5 lb bird is ingested into the engine

Mavic Pro weight
  • Weight: 743 g or 1.6 pounds
  • average seagull weight 4.2 pounds
  • Aircraft windshield by PPG = Bird-impact resistant Tested to impact by 2-pound bird at 190 knots
  • Rolls Royce BRR 710 Engine will continue to operate after ingesting a 12 lb frozen turkey ingestion

Yes, that is correct big bird pose a higher threat to other aircraft than drones. In some airport they even have some hawks and eagles trained so no other birds fly around the area.

Reactions: Chadnovz
Dual redundancy 2 static ports + 2 pitot tubes ;)

OK so when those get damaged replacement and repair is absolutely free and there is no downtime, delay, rebooking or any financial cost at all?

A drone is unlikely to bring down an aircraft. It does however have potential to cause damage which will require repairs and financial cost if it hits one.

Why not go throw rocks at cars? Its unlikely to cause one to crash but is likely to cause damage but thats not a problem clearly.

Does anyone understand the flight altitude of an airliner? Even a small Cessna averages about 5500 feet in normal flight. By the time a jet reaches the 5 mile mark from take off it is well outside the altitude that a Mavic will ever reach. I personally do not go that high, but saying people should go to jail for life is simply ridiculous.

Reactions: Chadnovz
OK so when those get damaged replacement and repair is absolutely free and there is no downtime, delay, rebooking or any financial cost at all?

A drone is unlikely to bring down an aircraft. It does however have potential to cause damage which will require repairs and financial cost if it hits one.

Why not go throw rocks at cars? Its unlikely to cause one to crash but is likely to cause damage but thats not a problem clearly.

You are correct in saying that drones could cause a potential financial burden on an aircraft operator but air carriers have insurance that usually covers things like, lightning strike damage, hail damage, bird strikes, FOD ( Foreign Object Damage)

I think that the FAA has done an excellent job in the past and will continue to provide excellent guidance and regulation in the future, we can all help by educating ourselves and others as to the safe operation of UAS systems, the FAA has all of the information ready and available for everyone to educate themselves and it's all free, I recommend to everyone who flies anything in the sky regardless of manned or unmanned aircraft to make it a point to dedicate as much time and effort to learn and operate your aircraft within those guidelines so we can all continue to enjoy this new technology

OK. Now smash it into a pitot or static port and see if it survives or blocks.
Static ports are on the side of planes and can't be struck. Pitot tubes are redundant. A Mavic taking down an airliner is going to be nearly impossible. Even a "flock" of Mavics will probably be less dangerous than a flock of geese. Yes the 4,500 guys should get in trouble, but it's a big sky up there. If I were flying my light plane in the 4,500' region, and I knew drones WERE allowed there, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. Too much of a long shot to hit one. Of course if I did I'd be pissed...LOL

Reactions: stratos
This thread is the biggest bunch of half baked conjecture for "causes" of a "problem" that doesn't even sound like it's a problem. Am I missing something? THIS forum would be a prime place for Mavics falling out of the sky to be reported. Where are they? Sorry to be negative, but this thread deserves it.

Reactions: Kilrah
Another part of 107 says that in Class G airspace the ceiling is 4500 feet AGL, this would mean that a UAS pilot could legally operate in Class G airspace from 0 ft to 4500 ft AGL, of course, we would then have to revert back to the "Keep the aircraft in sight" rule... It's easy, follow guidelines, operate safely and no one can complain.

I like the sudden updraft theory and also wonder about bird attacks from below looking like a landing.
Regarding how Mavic knows it has landed I've observed it often seems to land and then lift the back up again for a moment - perhaps confirming it has landed with a tilt detection.

Reactions: Alex ROV
That also occurred to me.
Therefore, I marked a line with a lightening color on the battery. If the battery is not clipped in well, you still see the marking color indicating the danger.
Like a chambered round indicator. I like.

I follow many forums and I'm simply not aware of Mavics dropping out of the sky. And I think the few that do are user error with only a few, rare, isolated exceptions. It's just not an issue worthy of so much speculation and posting.

You are correct in saying that drones could cause a potential financial burden on an aircraft operator but air carriers have insurance that usually covers things like, lightning strike damage, hail damage, bird strikes, FOD ( Foreign Object Damage)

I think that the FAA has done an excellent job in the past and will continue to provide excellent guidance and regulation in the future, we can all help by educating ourselves and others as to the safe operation of UAS systems, the FAA has all of the information ready and available for everyone to educate themselves and it's all free, I recommend to everyone who flies anything in the sky regardless of manned or unmanned aircraft to make it a point to dedicate as much time and effort to learn and operate your aircraft within those guidelines so we can all continue to enjoy this new technology
The Airman Information Manual (AIM) is a must read. It gets into the regulations, and also recommended procedures, and goes into all the different types of airspace. I fly light planes, but if I just flew UAVs, I'd still read this. It's good because it reviews rules in context, vs raw Federal Aviation Regulations, which is pretty dry reading, with vast amounts of non-applicable info. Of course if you're down at photographing a house altitudes, AND have visual contact with the quad, it would seem to me you could be a mile away from JFK International, and not be problem or be noticed. I think familiarity with the details of the FARs would be most applicable for illegal activity, with the aircraft out of sight. 50' over my back yard? And I'm supposed to call the tower which is 4 1/2 miles away?! They'll be nice, and will very uninterested.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman