DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

]
Not sticking up for the OP as he obviously panicked and was not in control but with the correct training a HUD must be the best way of receiving valuable information because... wait for it... Fighter Pilots! If they can fly at supersonic speeds without crashing I’m sure we can manage the confines of sport mode haha
Fighter pilots get a LOT more training and flight time than the average sUAV pilot.

Reactions: DRM001
Agreed but that wasn’t the point I was trying to make. [emoji854]
It, you can’t separate that out. There’s no way you or I could walk onto a flight line, hop into a fighter plane, and not kill ourself. So, trying to put a sUAV pilot on the same level as a Navy fighter pilot is ridiculous.

It, you can’t separate that out. There’s no way you or I could walk onto a flight line, hop into a fighter plane, and not kill ourself. So, trying to put a sUAV pilot on the same level as a Navy fighter pilot is ridiculous.

That was EXACTLY my point. The OP (judging by the video) had little to no idea how to not only use his phone but also the drone then proceeded to blame the equipment.

A poor carpenter blames his tools I think is how the saying goes. Having used both the GA and Siri while flying as well as taking calls, streaming to Facebook and getting all sorts of prompts from new email to games telling me to come back while flying I’ve not once blamed this on a crash. In fact the only time I have crashed was pilot (used in the loosest possible term) error when I hit a stray branch while flying low and fast.

This whole thread is just laughable to be honest but as I said, morbid curiosity keeps me from in subscribing as I love the nonsense [emoji23]

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeDimwit and Simmo
That was EXACTLY my point. The OP (judging by the video) had little to no idea how to not only use his phone but also the drone then proceeded to blame the equipment.

A poor carpenter blames his tools I think is how the saying goes. Having used both the GA and Siri while flying as well as taking calls, streaming to Facebook and getting all sorts of prompts from new email to games telling me to come back while flying I’ve not once blamed this on a crash. In fact the only time I have crashed was pilot (used in the loosest possible term) error when I hit a stray branch while flying low and fast.

This whole threat is just laughable to be honest but as I said, morbid curiosity keeps me from in subscribing as I love the nonsense [emoji23]
Yeah, I look at car wrecks on the highway too.

From the latest copy of the new recreational rules, goggles can now be used if you have a VO. I have just read the first pages, so it wont surprise me if they say it isnt legal later in the pages though...

From the latest copy of the new recreational rules, goggles can now be used if you have a VO. I have just read the first pages, so it wont surprise me if they say it isnt legal later in the pages though...
And what does it’s at about glasses?

I wouldnt believe everything you read online.

Android makes up 80% of the mobile device market and most of us are flying without issue and have been for years on countless devices.
A tiny number of devices (usually Samsung) have some issues (because they're a long way from true android in terms of altered OS) but thats about it.

This entire thread is junk - using an assistant in no way affects the app or drone control.

Samsung devices are usually pretty reliable with dji software assuming they meet the specs although their popularity means there will appear to be more issues. Samsung are most certainly not a long way from true android, they've had their spats with Google and attempted to break away with their own Tizen operating systems but their handsets still use stock 'true' android. They have their own launcher and other mostly cosmetic changes but they've never forked Android for their main handsets and they've mostly stopped trying to duplicate the Google software.

Only if the heads up was playing a movie and showing your social media pages as you were driving.
I cannot relate to using the goggles because I am not going to spend that kind of money on something of no use to me. Mostly just curious how the FAA will eventually rule on them. Pretty sure a commercial pilot would not be allowed to use them.

You know I like your style but on this I feel like you are being obtuse on purpose. The Moverio glasses are not goggles. They don't obstruct your view in any way, at least not any worse than sun glasses. They have a heads up display in one lens, I believe, leaving the other eye completely clear.

I also disagree that your eyes can't see two things at once. Optometrists will prescribe two different contacts, one for near sighted and one for far sighted to avoid bifocals. Your brain will incorporate the two images and use the best view for each situation.

In any case, I agree you shouldn't do anything but focus on operating your drone when flying, that's full on STUPID but I disagree that the Moverios break VLOS restrictions.

Not sticking up for the OP as he obviously panicked and was not in control but with the correct training a HUD must be the best way of receiving valuable information because... wait for it... Fighter Pilots! If they can fly at supersonic speeds without crashing I’m sure we can manage the confines of sport mode haha
I’m wondering about the controls I have on the screen of my CS... camera adjustments especially.

I’m wondering about the controls I have on the screen of my CS... camera adjustments especially.

Yup it’s ok to not focus on your drone but only when you are using DJI’s app.. Only 3rd party apps will make you crash - especially anything stock to your phone like Siri or GA[emoji1][emoji23]

Last edited:
You know I like your style but on this I feel like you are being obtuse on purpose. The Moverio glasses are not goggles. They don't obstruct your view in any way, at least not any worse than sun glasses. They have a heads up display in one lens, I believe, leaving the other eye completely clear.

I also disagree that your eyes can't see two things at once. Optometrists will prescribe two different contacts, one for near sighted and one for far sighted to avoid bifocals. Your brain will incorporate the two images and use the best view for each situation.

In any case, I agree you shouldn't do anything but focus on operating your drone when flying, that's full on STUPID but I disagree that the Moverios break VLOS restrictions.
Lon, I enjoy your take on things as well. Have two 27" displays on my desk just inches apart, When I am looking at one, I can not make out any detail on the other. Try this experiment;
Look at a full size laptop or Desktop screen on this very webpage, focus on text in the center of the screen and try to read the text at the bottom of your screen with peripheral vision. You will see it isn't very reliable.
"Line of sight" means just that, NOT peripheral margins of sight.

Edit to add; Make no difference now as the new hobby laws allow for use of goggles with a VO. from what I have read..

I intentionally use “airplane mode” when flying in order to limit distractions. On one of my first flights I accidentally enabled screen rotation lock instead of Airplane mode. Of course, I didn't realize this until after the flight. I was surprised when random text message alerts popped up. I attempted to swipe away the message, but my clumsy attempt to close the message caused my phone to open the message instead. To add to my aggravation, the Mavic controller mount partially blocks my “home” buttom, making it a bit of a chore to get back into the DJI Go4 app.

Lesson learned, I’m much more careful assuring I’m in Airplane mode now.

Lon, I enjoy your take on things as well. Have two 27" displays on my desk just inches apart, When I am looking at one, I can not make out any detail on the other. Try this experiment;
Look at a full size laptop or Desktop screen on this very webpage, focus on text in the center of the screen and try to read the text at the bottom of your screen with peripheral vision. You will see it isn't very reliable.
"Line of sight" means just that, NOT peripheral margins of sight.

Edit to add; Make no difference now as the new hobby laws allow for use of goggles with a VO. from what I have read..
That analogy fails- simply because you don’t need to look away from the drone to see the display. Certainly not to the same extent you do to look at your tablet/phone.

If your intent is to have a genuine discussion about the legalities here you need to keep the actual provision in mind. You can see the drone at all times with unaided vision. That’s it.

That analogy fails- simply because you don’t need to look away from the drone to see the display. Certainly not to the same extent you do to look at your tablet/phone.

If your intent is to have a genuine discussion about the legalities here you need to keep the actual provision in mind. You can see the drone at all times with unaided vision. That’s it.
I hope you guys are correct. That said, until the FAA actually makes a public statement about them, I’d hate to be the person they decide to make a test case out of.

The only problem with Airplane Mode is, if the app you’re using relies on cellular or GPS on your device, turning this mode on disables all antennas including Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi and Cellular.

This can cause problems, sometimes. But if everything’s up to date and happy before you enable Airplane Mode, some folks swear by it.

I like the connectivity, so Do Not Disturb works better for me.
You are right in that it turns off cellular and BT but it doesn't turn off GPS. The GPS and flight of the craft works PERFECTLY in Airplane Mode. I've been doing it for 3 mos with no issues whatsoever. Even the RTH is spot on in Airplane mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid