DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Please send this serious warning to as many places as possible.
If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
Take a look at this video.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
Their response has been this.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

Please pass this warning to as many as you can.

Im squeamish around android phones in many cases but I could believe that using Ok Google OR Hey Siri while flying a drone isn't a good idea, I've never tried it but as you demonstrated the assistant interferes with the controller somehow as its contacting the server

Yes, you started the same thread two months ago: Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2
Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2: Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2

Not sure why we need a repeat. Disabling or just not using a personal assistant is easy enough to do.

Mr Salty you are correct. My intent is to get DJI to warn people, so far they refuse to do so.
If you experienced what I did I am sure you would do the same. Very very scary. Someone is going to get hurt.
I would not feel good if someone did get hurt and I did not do my best to warn people.
What I did not say today or in the past is that two days ago I tried to fly a Mavic 2 with my phone and did not initiate Google Assistant (GA) and the aircraft went ballistic. Spirlied rapidly to 200 meters. Took me ten minutes to get it down by restarting my Samsung Galaxy 9+ and RTH.
GA was obviously active in the background. So if you use GA on your Android device and don't even initiate it, it is still a hazard.
Can you see why I am concerned Mr Salty?

Did you ever post the flight logs people were asking for in your other thread?

Reactions: Johnmcl7
ac0j my maths are not too hot but at 1.38 Kg * potential 70 Kilometers/hour (P4P) is some force. You might be ok acOj but I am not going to try it.
A totally out of control Phantom or Mavic surly would inflict massive injuries to someone's head. It could easily blind someone.
So 1.4 kg * 70Kl/h mmmmmm
I know this is unlikely because when its out of control it has always spiriled up rapidly. The point is acOj its very dangerous.

This issue could be just my phone and it may not ever happen to anyone else. I don't know because I have not heard of anyone else having this problem. DJI seem to think it is not just my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandaloo
ac0j my maths are not too hot but at 1.38 Kg * potential 70 Kilometers/hour (P4P) is some force. You might be ok acOj but I am not going to try it.
A totally out of control Phantom or Mavic surly would inflict massive injuries to someone's head. It could easily blind someone.
So 1.4 kg * 70Kl/h mmmmmm
I know this is unlikely because when its out of control it has always spiriled up rapidly. The point is acOj its very dangerous.

This issue could be just my phone and it may not ever happen to anyone else. I don't know because I have not heard of anyone else having this problem. DJI seem to think it is not just my phone.
That chances are very slim . That is all I am saying. MOST of us couldnt drop a drone at high speed on top of a persons head if we tried. The chances of it happening at random is easily 1000 times less likely. Even less than that if we are following the rules and NOT FLYING OVER PEOPLE. Crying wolf is not acceptable with this in mind.

All I will say is you were not there, it scared the hell out of me and I don't scare easily. I agree there is a slight chance of someone getting hurt but an out of control +1Kg at speed is not a good thing my friend.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Fun facts, getting hit straight in the forehead by the following objects:

Baseball maximum impact energy / sq cm is 3.9 Joules
Tennis ball maximum impact energy / sq cm is 3.1 Joules
Mavic in Sport Mode maximum impact energy / sq cm is 2.29 Joules

Maybe wearing a baseball helmet when flying will cut down the risk somewhat. I prefer the Braves.

People actually use these assistant things in the real world ?!

Surely *IF* the problem is real cant you just pull out the USB from the device ? That should stop any potential app induced control issues.
Or plan B - power off the RC controller triggering an RTH.

Im not sure i believe this issue since (i) android is the biggest OS by a mile and (ii) pretty much all those users have GA running in the background and (iii) none seem to have this issue.

I might test this later if it stops raining for long enough.

ac0j, why would you not use a google search via voice and flying? Absolutely nothing irresponsible about that. Except that now you know it will send your aircraft on a mad uncontrollable flight path.
Go on acOj what is irresponsible about using a Virtual Assistant? If I had not pointed out the danger?

Last edited:
I am not sure GA is a problem,however,i can see that a mavic or phantom hitting a person in the head is not so much about the actual force,or speed but more likely the very real danger is those spinning props,and they can cut and injure.there was a case of a toddler who lost an eye because of this,although this was by irresponsible flying,and nothing to with GA or DJI.

[B]ac0j[/B] why would you not use a google search via voice and flying? Absolutely nothing irresponsible about that. Except that now you know it will send your aircraft on a mad uncontrollable flight path.
Go on acOj what is irresponsible about using a Virtual Assistant? If I had not pointed out the danger?
If you want to surf the internet, land the drone and do it. Multi tasking while in control of (according to you) a DANGEROUS aircraft is an irresponsible act. It is not the phone or the aircraft that is creating the danger, it is YOUR irresponsible actions. Argue all you want, but i am right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan