DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about returning MPP

My Nvidia Shield had nothing but issues until I set it back an OS level to Marshmallow, and since then it's been bulletproof.

I do totally agree it's idiotic I needed to do that, and I still hold a grudge against DJI accordingly. But it let me get on with things and start flying, which i enjoy immensely. It's an option to consider trying out if you feel like putting any more work into things.

Also, I would wager your issues are largely between your device and the app, not the Mavic itself. Just something to think about if you were considering returning the Mavic but buying a Phantom or something else DJI.
i have heard and read lots of issues with newest androids, i fly myself marshmallow 6.0.1 too and no problems (Sony Xperia Z3). Hopefully theres some solution on this, or just have to wait updates...

The android issue seems to be shield related and was fixed with a later update.

Ive used it on v6 with no issues, v7 with no issues and v8 with no issues.

Currently have 2 devices on Nougat and 1 on Orea and all work perfectly with it.

But back to the original post, you cant really make any conclusions without trying it on a reset, base install tablet and a known good quality USB cable.

Reactions: jonitus
Besides the gimbal freak out issue which i think can be solve by replacing the ribbon cable(it's a thread about this) DJI app doesn't play friendly with Android OS(which there are plenty threads about)! You better off getting an ipad which will solve about 95% of your problems besides the occasional gimbal freaking out(plenty of threads about this). To think about it, I have not had a gimbal freak out since I left Android!!!
Weird... I've only flown Android on 5 different phones. Never had issues. But then again I stay away from upgrades

I put every upgrade on as soon as its released and never had an issue (ok, they broke maps in 4.1.10 admittedly but thats it).

The Android "issue" is a DJI problem, has been around since GO4 was initially released, and frankly, probably will never get much better.

The "issue" is poor programming and attention to the Android run-time model. The app looks very much like primary development occurs on iOS, then the new version is ported over to Android.

Those out there with iOS and Android app development experience will know what I'm talking about. The run-time models are different in many completely incompatible ways, so code written for iOS has to be hacked/kludged around to make it function in the Android environment.

Litchi, which appears to follow the opposite development model (Android native, iOS port) pops up now and then around here with the exact same complaints, just the actors reversed. It's far more rare, because I think Litchi has much more talented software engineers on their team, but it does happen now and then nonetheless.

Conclusion: If you want to use an Android device, consider switching to Litchi for your primary flight application. Its what I use, and I actually prefer the GUI better than GO4 anyway.

You gain some really useful capabilities like autonomous mission planning and execution, but lose some of the "toy" features like Quick Shots, which will be implemented at some point in a future release of Litchi anyway, if you really need it.

Of all the accessories I've purchased for my MP, Litchi has been the most valuable.

I cant see why i'd want to switch to an extra cost programme with lower features when the one provided for free works just fine. I looked at Litchi and cant see anything it does which i'll use that i cant do on Go4.

Im fairly convinced the android and crapple dev teams dont talk to each other (hence non even rollout of features, simple software functions missing etc) but ultimately Go4 works without any real issues on the vast majority of android devices. There seem to be some issues, especially with Samsung devices but given how badly Samsung mangle the android OS and kernel thats not a real shock.

I too had all kinds of connections issues when using the Samsung 6 phone, blackouts as soon as I got in the air, so much of a lag that I could watch my flight after I'd landed!
Issues seem to be mainly between your device & the mavic, for me, switching to a 7" tablet (Acer) solved all these issues & I;m in the air in minutes now. Also, I do tend to use Litchi, a lot more now, the ability to set up waypoints at home is worth the 20 bucks for Litchi.

I cant see why i'd want to switch to an extra cost programme with lower features when the one provided for free works just fine. I looked at Litchi and cant see anything it does which i'll use that i cant do on Go4.
Then use GO4.

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why you made that post at all. I was offering advice to people that are having problems with GO4 on Android. Clearly you're not in that group, so what does your post add to the discussion that informs anyone of anything? For my own part, I'm not particularly interested in what app people are using that works for them. I'm interested in helping those that are having problems.

As far as features, there are features Litchi has that GO4 doesn't, and vice-versa. For people that find Fixed Wing mode and Quick Shots of significant value to their use of the Mavic, GO4 is the best solution for them, and they should be seriously considering an iOS device to run it on.

For people that consider these features amusing novelties and don't really care about them at all, it's likely they also are of the "type" that find autonomous waypoint missions to be very useful and valuable something they can't do with GO4.

Here's something those who've never tried litchi don't really have a good grasp of: If you use your Mavic to capture video, Litchi provides cinematic capabilites in terms of aircraft and camera control that GO4 can't do at all, and are very hard for the most experienced remote camera pilots to produce manually by themselves.

If you're seriously into shooting video and creating amazing shots, you HAVE to use Litchi (or Autopilot, Drone Harmony, etc.). I can produce incredible cinematic shots of points of interest with Litchi that none of you could capture manually with GO4.

Reactions: Former Member
Then use GO4.

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why you made that post at all. I was offering advice to people that are having problems with GO4 on Android. Clearly you're not in that group, so what does your post add to the discussion that informs anyone of anything?

Other than the parts suggesting to reset the tablet and to try a different cable because despite the doomongers on here, it does work and should work. A useful suggestion rather than "pay more money and use a different program that also might not work if its the cable or tablet install at fault".

As far as features, there are features Litchi has that GO4 doesn't, and vice-versa. For people that find Fixed Wing mode and Quick Shots of significant value to their use of the Mavic, GO4 is the best solution for them, and they should be seriously considering an iOS device to run it on.

Why should they be considering switching platforms when it works perfectly on their existing one? It simply makes no sense at all.

For people that consider these features amusing novelties and don't really care about them at all, it's likely they also are of the "type" that find autonomous waypoint missions to be very useful and valuable something they can't do with GO4.

You do realise you aren't forced to use those modes? They're not actually mandatory. I occasionally use POI and course lock and thats it. At no time have i been forced to use any of the other amusing novelty modes.

If you're seriously into shooting video and creating amazing shots, you HAVE to use Litchi (or Autopilot, Drone Harmony, etc.). I can produce incredible cinematic shots of points of interest with Litchi that none of you could capture manually with GO4.

Yet many many many more people capture exactly what they want both amateur and professional level without having to use litchi. I wonder if these people are aware they're doing it all wrong.

The problems you are having are not normal. You can screw around with cables and different tablets but I think that will not solve the issues. You should swap it out while you can.

Reactions: Pipes101
Before blaming the drone you have to rule out all the local issues hence a clean install tablet and a verified good quality USB cable (using the bottom not side connector).

My Nexus 7 2nd gen is completely blank less the app for DJI. I've had it for awhile, but never used. It sat in my dresser for a year. Now I found a need for it so it's totally clean. Hard reset to factory.
Multiple USB cables for the side and bottom of the controller.

Yuneec. One update in a year. Works every-single-time. Replaced my P4P+ and MAV with a 520 - no more issues, no more angst, no more anxiety, no worries about which version of the app I'm using on which device. DJI is dead to me - to many other options now. I just want something that works.

Yuneec. One update in a year. Works every-single-time. Replaced my P4P+ and MAV with a 520 - no more issues, no more angst, no more anxiety, no worries about which version of the app I'm using on which device. DJI is dead to me - to many other options now. I just want something that works.

I hope Yuneecs new CEO Jiang Hao can get things turned around for them. As of June 2017, they were still having trouble paying their suppliers, which in turn leads to diminished unit output. This happened despite a $60 million investment by Intel in August 2015. Where did the $60 million go? Maybe to pay its' outstanding suppliers. Obviously didnt help.

Felt the same way. Had to switch to ipad. Now no problems at all. Not fair but true.
I have constant disconnects on my I-Pad mini4. unplug the cable at either controller or the mini and it reconnects! It's either a bad cheap USB port or a firmware problem. I've tried many cables so I know its not that. DJI by know is aware of this problem. I wish they would fix it!

I'm so frustrated it's not even funny. I received my Mavic 9/28 and called them right away when the controller didn't work. Bought it direct from DJI thinking it would be best. Just received a notification my exchange was approved on Friday the 20th and now it's Tuesday the 24th and I still have no shipping notification. One month is not acceptable service, it's absolutely horrible, DJI should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm so frustrated it's not even funny. I received my Mavic 9/28 and called them right away when the controller didn't work. Bought it direct from DJI thinking it would be best. Just received a notification my exchange was approved on Friday the 20th and now it's Tuesday the 24th and I still have no shipping notification. One month is not acceptable service, it's absolutely horrible, DJI should be ashamed of themselves.
That's pretty shocking. After spending that amount and receiving a DOA product they should really pull out the stops to make things right.
You have more patience than me, I'd be going crazy wanting to fly it.

That's pretty shocking. After spending that amount and receiving a DOA product they should really pull out the stops to make things right.
You have more patience than me, I'd be going crazy wanting to fly it.
I've been flying it with my Iphone, not a lot of distance or height but I've logged around 20+ flights already. Only thing that kept me sane.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB