DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is spam/scam right?

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is spam/scam right? Only thing that makes me wonder is I did send a Mavic 3 back a month ago to amazon.

It is very odd to me and a coincidence but I don't feel like I want to reach out to anyone... DJI should be able to take care of this lol I got my money back from Amazon.

thoughts?
1650934271077.png

It's a very 'connected coincidence' for sure, and possible perhaps, but would mean Amazons simply repackaged your returned drone and resold it ?
Very concerning to think Amazon might have such business practices.

Often spammers target random retailers like Amazon, particular large banks etc, regarding a 'recent purchase' or 'loan application' etc, and get a small % of hits from people that have had such a dealing and aren't vigilant (phishing scams).

So if you hover the mouse cursor over any of the links in the email (don't click them), does any little pop up appear and show that they match the text info ?
Also the address in the email, is it munged to reflect it's come from some random email address a spammer might have harvested ?

I really haven't seen anything like this on this forum or the DJI forum before, and don't think DJI would have any problems rectifying this themselves.
Certainly if I was the supposed 2nd owner of the aircraft, I would simply return it to Amazon as not as described, not new, nor fit for purpose.

Tread carefully, or maybe best to simply just ignore . . . it is NOT your issue.

It's a very 'connected coincidence' for sure, and possible perhaps, but would mean Amazons simply repackaged your returned drone and resold it ?
Very concerning to think Amazon might have such business practices.

Often spammers target random retailers like Amazon, particular large banks etc, regarding a 'recent purchase' or 'loan application' etc, and get a small % of hits from people that have had such a dealing and aren't vigilant (phishing scams).

So if you hover the mouse cursor over any of the links in the email (don't click them), does any little pop up appear and show that they match the text info ?
Also the address in the email, is it munged to reflect it's come from some random email address a spammer might have harvested ?

I really haven't seen anything like this on this forum or the DJI forum before, and don't think DJI would have any problems rectifying this themselves.
Certainly if I was the supposed 2nd owner of the aircraft, I would simply return it to Amazon as not as described, not new, nor fit for purpose.

Tread carefully, or maybe best to simply just ignore . . . it is NOT your issue.
Yah, like I said I got my money back, I am not taking this any further on my end.
Let them/amazon and DJI deal with it.
Just weird and wanted to make sure this was not something common place.

If its real, I would be annoyed as the second buyer lol.

If you bound the drone to your account and then returned that drone to Amazon for something like a "I don't like it" reason without undoing the binding and Amazon subsequently sold/sent that drone to someone as a "returned drone" purchase then, the new owner will be unable to use the drone because the binding is still active.

There was a thread here or on the DJI forum where such a 2nd buyer had received a bound drone.
I recollect "contacting DJI to see if they could contact the original owner and check if the drone had been returned and, if so, ask if the original owner would undo the binding", was one of the suggested solutions.

If you look in the profile -> device management sections of the fly app and if the drone is still bound to your account, you will likely see the drone listed in the "bound" section.
If you did return such a drone you should undo the binding. It is not necessary for the drone to be present.
I bound a mini 2, to test the binding/unbinding process, and was able to unbind it with the drone switched off. I assume that when the app next has www access it lets DJI 'know' that the drone is no longer bound.
I do not have a second DJI account with which to test things from a second buyer's perspective.

You have nothing to lose by unbinding a returned for "I don't like it" etc. reasons. I do not see any risk, what risk could there be?
I WOULD NOT send anyone your login details etc., they DO NOT need them, you can undo the binding with the drone xyz miles away from you.
You need not even reply to the email though I would have thought they (DJI) might have quoted the drone's serial number as an indication of authenticity.

In fact I think you should unbind it if it still shows as bound in your device management.
It should have been done in the first place, if you didn't undo the binding you sent a lemon back to Amazon.

Various comments in the thread I mentioned said Amazon are incurring significant loss because of bound drones being returned bound. If that is correct then one option for Amazon is to remove drones from their very generous returns policy.

Last edited:
This is spam/scam right? Only thing that makes me wonder is I did send a Mavic 3 back a month ago to amazon.

It is very odd to me and a coincidence but I don't feel like I want to reach out to anyone... DJI should be able to take care of this lol I got my money back from Amazon.

thoughts?
View attachment 147349
Hard to imagine how a scammer would know that this applied to you, and easy enough to check the full email headers to see where it came from.

If you bound the drone to your account and then returned the drone to Amazon for something like a "I don't like it" reason with out undoing the binding and Amazon subsequently sold/sent that drone to someone as a "returned drone" purchase then the new owner will be unable to use the drone because the binding is still active.

There was a thread here or on the DJI forum where such a 2nd buyer had received a bound drone.
I recollect contacting DJI to see if they could contact the original owner and check if the drone had been returned and if so ask if the original owner would undo the binding, was one of the suggested solutions.

If you look in the profile -> device management sections of the fly app and if it is still bound to your account you will likely see the drone listed in the "bound" section.
If you did return such a drone you should undo the binding. It is not necessary for the drone to be present.
I bound a mini 2, to test binding, and was able to unbind it with the drone switched off. I assume the app lets DJI 'know' that the drone is no longer bound when the app next has www access. I do not have a second DJI account with which to test things from a second buyer's perspective.

You have nothing to lose by unbinding a returned for "I don't like it" etc. reasons. I do not see any risk, was risk could there be.
I WOULD NOT send anyone your login details etc., they DO NOT need them, you can undo the binding with the drone xyz miles away form you. You need not even reply to the email though I would have thought they (DJI) might have quoted the drone's serial number as an indication of authenticity.
In fact I think you should unbind it if it still shows as bound in your device management.
It should have been done in the first place, if you didn't undo the binding you sent a lemon back to Amazon.

Various comments in the thread I mentioned said Amazon are incurring significant loss because of bound drones being returned, if that is correct then one option for Amazon is to remove drones from their very generous returns policy,
i went in on the fly app and removed from my account so that's about all im doing lol.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
@Faster is correct. No harm to you by unbinding the drone from your account, which you've done. As a show of good faith, you can always forward that email to DJI support and let them know you received the email and that you've unbound the drone from your account. You can then wash your hands of the matter and let them handle it from there. I'd agree that I wouldn't reply to the email or the other user, let DJI support handle it, if it's indeed valid.

I ran into these issues when I bought my MA2 second hand, had to reach back out to the seller and ask that they unbind the drone from their account, which they did. I was then able to bind it to my account. Amazon should really be proactive about this and include it as part of the return instructions, if it's not already.

Reactions: Capt KO and Faster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams