DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is why you don't fly your drone near an airport

The problem is the majority of people, including a lot in this forum, do not consider their drone an aircraft nor do they consider themselves or anyone else who flies a drone a pilot. They just see it as a toy and don't take safety seriously.

The problem is the majority of people, including a lot in this forum, do not consider their drone an aircraft nor do they consider themselves or anyone else who flies a drone a pilot. They just see it as a toy and don't take safety seriously.
That's true and was really considered a toy until drone with long range came to play. Now this is serious business. Our Mavic Pro have a range of 7km. This is why we need to register and let the airport know if we are flying close to it.

Knowing commercial pilots and their penchant for timeliness and safety, Im sure there was some pretty angry language coming from the cockpits.

Does anyone know what an airports policy is for "clearing" airports to land again after a drone sighting? My policy would be to send up a few military attack helicopters to detect and neutralize the threatening drone. A gattling gun would do the trick nicely.

Graphics in that video are amazing.

One person having fun with their 'toy', ends up causing major disruption and delays for everyone else. That one incident would have cost a few hundred thousand or maybe more; in wasted jet fuel, loss work hours, important meetings missed, critical family events, etc. With planes diverted, it would have been even more inconvenient when passengers then having to find alternate transportation to get to where they need to be. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was a passenger in one of those planes.

Drones shouldn’t fly near airports, period.
But. They are still just toys, and do not require a pilots license to fly. Some drone pilots feel as though they are flying 747’s and factor in way to much fear of doom and gloom. The fact is there has been NO drone encounters that have cost more than scratches, bumps, and dents.
Fly as you wish because if anything bad happens, it is 100% on you individually. Any future regulation will only affect the people flying where they shouldn’t

That’s a VERY broad brush you’re using to paint that picture!

Drones shouldn’t fly near airports, period.
But. They are still just toys, and do not require a pilots license to fly.
If it was up to me, after witnessing several years of shear stupidity and almost hitting a drone over Lafayette CO, I would license EVERYONE and require a 2 year flight review just like is done with manned aircraft.

Reactions: Air Or
I am glad it’s not up to pilots to decide the hobbyists fate.
Maybe we could classify drones as “experimental” then drone pilots would have to meet all the requirements that the ultralight pilots do?

No license will correct the stupidity. It just hurts those who aren’t stupid. The crazies will remain license or not.

I am glad it’s not up to pilots to decide the hobbyists fate.
Well the way things are going this will become a reality.
Maybe we could classify drones as “experimental” then drone pilots would have to meet all the requirements that the ultralight pilots do?
An "Experimental" registration is a mode of aircraft configuration and operation and has nothing to do with pilot certification
No license will correct the stupidity. It just hurts those who aren’t stupid. The crazies will remain license or not.
And I could agree with that but then again 91 years ago many felt the same way when the Federal government required anyone flying an airplane to be licensed. It hasn't entirely filtered the crazies, just mitigated their influence.

@FLYBOYJ remember that we have support from the academy of model aeronautics organization (AMA). They are like the NRA but for the RC airplanes / drones / helicopters. They represent us in Washington DC. If one of these politicians try to restrict the hobby. We can complain to AMA and they will fight for our freedom.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
@FLYBOYJ remember that we have support from the academy of model aeronautics organization (AMA). They are like the NRA but for the RC airplanes / drones / helicopters. They represent us in Washington DC. If one of these politicians try to restrict the hobby. We can complain to AMA and they will fight for our freedom.

I'm well aware of the AMA's clout, I'm even a member, however if you have idiots continue to endanger the NAS, the AMA will have little influence on restrictions and an anti-aviation sensationalism driven news media isn't going to help. Its quite obvious that drones and drone pilots do not have a good reputation with the general public as well as the media these days, the measure of the AMA's ultimate influence will only be as good as the support of a congressman's or senator's constituency.

IMO a lot of this mess could be easily cleaned up if a 400' ceiling limit and BVLOS requirements be added to section 336 and then flowed into Title 14 Part 101.41 so its "black and white." I also think penalties for blatant violations should be increased and even jail time added in some cases, ex. - like the Las Vegas incident.

I'm still in favor of hobbyist licensing. Its one thing to fly your RC aircraft at an RC field under controlled conditions like many AMA members have done for years with no issues to the NAS, its another thing where you have an "aircraft" (and yes, the FAA considers your "toy" drone an aircraft under FAR 1) that could easily penetrate controlled airspace almost unrestricted and can be launched from almost anywhere.

(stepping off soapbox)

Remember you heard it here: IMHO at some point, sUAV's are going to be required to be ADS-B equipped, and that will kill the hobbyist/107 due to cost, size, battery drain, etc.

Either that or DJI is going to feed the FAA centers all our locations in real time, but that will not solve the issue of sUAV's in airspace that is not controlled by a center or a tower.

ADS-B is soon to be required on planes that do not currently have it, and not currently required to have it installed.

If you think General Aviation is dying ( since 2008 it has become a shadow of itself, the days of the Part 61 pilot are numbered) wait until you toss a mandate of a 5000 dollar piece of avionics at a guy that is flying an ancient plane or an Experimental.... I am already seeing planes sitting on the sides of runways, parked for years due to the cost of annuals and overhauls.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
If you think General Aviation is dying ( since 2008 it has become a shadow of itself, the days of the Part 61 pilot are numbered) wait until you toss a mandate of a 5000 dollar piece of avionics at a guy that is flying an ancient plane or an Experimental.... I am already seeing planes sitting on the sides of runways, parked for years due to the cost of annuals and overhauls.

I have said numerous times on here that the days of the Pilot in the aircraft is numbered. Planes are already semi autonomous, and one day they will be completely autonomous. You are right about general aviation as well, it is going to be so cost prohibitive at some point that there won't be many Part 61s out there.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I have said numerous times on here that the days of the Pilot in the aircraft is numbered. Planes are already semi autonomous, and one day they will be completely autonomous. You are right about general aviation as well, it is going to be so cost prohibitive at some point that there won't be many Part 61s out there.

This is really nothing new. private aircraft have been cost prohibitive since the first one was made. Fuel cost, tie down/hangar cost, annuals, repairs, equipment updates. GA aircraft are made for people with money that they dont know what to do with and occasionally like to fly. I have owned, bought and sold many aircraft over the years, and most of my customers were well-to-do and were not using the planes to make money. They bought them, occasionally flew them, and mostly took them as a tax write-off. Most of them also had pother expensive toys such as lake houses, yachts, (and mistresses).

wait until you toss a mandate of a 5000 dollar piece of avionics at a guy that is flying an ancient plane or an Experimental

Many of them will fly outside of controlled airspace and not be required to have any upgrades. The same was said when A/C were required to have transponders to fly into controlled airspace. Those that chose to fly there got the transponders, even though those were expensive at the time.

ADS-B is soon to be required on planes that do not currently have it, and not currently required to have it installed.

Are you referring to commercial aviation or general aviation? Theres no way that a private aircraft owner is going to fork out any money so he can detect a drone. He would sooner invest in weather radar or a better radio set. FAA has a habit of not applying the same stringent requirements to GA as they do to commercial, and commercial aviation has such a stronger lobby than the AOPA, .so airliners will put the onus on the FAA to detect drones.

DJI is not going to let the FAA put them out of business. They are a $10 billion dollar company and will have a skull session with the FAA before the FAA tries anything to ground them. DJI is smart by locking you out of class airspace already, and if they have to put a transponder in their drones, they will. But after selling a few million drones, and no cataclysmic tragedies, the FAA has plenty of time to work with DJI on what they can provide in terms of keeping drones out of airspace and/or identifying drones to commercial aviation and flight following..

ADS-B will only be required for flight in controlled airspace or within the 30 mile Mode-C circle around major Int airports - same places a transponder is now required. The vast majority of NAS under 18,000 feet is uncontrolled.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan