DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Three new, dead batteries...

Donnie Frank

Reactions
Hey doods!

I searched the forum for "dead batteries" and found several threads that didn't pertain to my situation. I did find ONE similar thread, but it was never resolved:

My situation....

I have a friend with a NOS Mavic Pro. His company purchased it a while ago, but never even registered it. He has THREE batteries and all three are dead, dead, dead. I have a very hard time believing that THREE batteries are all factory defects.

The symptoms...

They do nothing. No lights. They don't charge. Nothing.

Because I refuse to believe that we have THREE factory defects here, I'm going to entertain the possibility that MAYBE there is some other issue. I checked out battery "hibernation," but those symptoms don't match my symptoms.

1587590528357.png

I'm going to keep searching and trying different things. My hopes are that someone has a solution for this.

D

do you know how long they have been stored before you tried to charge them after a long time at a very low charge they can become unable to take on a charge

It’s probably not a defect. Old batteries will die off without proper care.
I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy opens the battery(cuts a hole in the front)and revives it. Not pretty when it’s done.
The serial number on the battery will tell you how ancient it really is.

Reactions: jmorales71
Is that the charger that came with the kit Donnie, or yours ?
You are trying to revive these for your friend, they're not yours ?
I would prefer to try any waking up of possibly sleeping batteries with the original DJI charger, but if that's all you have . . .

Batteries certainly fail completely in long storage, you say "His company purchased it a while ago", and before that, a Mavic Pro could have been in storage in a warehouse or store for quite some time, maybe years altogether.
Though you'd hope retailers / warehouse people rotate stock outwards and inwards.

I've read posts about waking batteries up in hibernation mode, if you can't find more of these with a few different search terms, and a solution is not obvious in trying to wake them up, then it may be new batteries are going to be needed.
Of course as it sounds like it is now well past the 6 months battery warranty period, there will likely be no recourse under DJI warranty etc.

I did a search here using > mavic pro battery dead wake up . . .

Not a lot different to the thread you posted a link to though, but maybe try the connector contact clean ?
Use the right spray type solution for electronics.

Reactions: Flycaster
do you know how long they have been stored before you tried to charge them after a long time at a very low charge they can become unable to take on a charge

I'm going to say over a year old. Still, hard to imagine that THREE batteries could COMPLETELY die from non-use. Hell...I have LiPo batteries that are FAR older than that that still take a charge and/or show some voltage. So, for the moment, I'm going to dismiss that they're "just old."

D

Is that the charger that came with the kit Donnie, or yours ?

It's my charger. I tried my OEM charger, too.

You are trying to revive these for your friend,

Yes.

they're not yours ?

Correct.

I would prefer to try any waking up of possibly sleeping batteries with the original DJI charger, but if that's all you have . . .

I tried the original DJI charger first. I like the charger in the photo because it shows green lights when a battery is either charged or disconnected. So, in the eyes of the charger, there aren't even batteries connected. So the "open circuit" is part of my troubleshooting information.

Batteries certainly fail completely in long storage, you say "His company purchased it a while ago", and before that, a Mavic Pro could have been in storage in a warehouse or store for quite some time, maybe years altogether.
Though you'd hope retailers / warehouse people rotate stock outwards and inwards.

I just got off the phone with my buddy. According to him, the last they worked on the Mavic was Sept. of 2018. So they probably purchased it in August or July. So the batteries are nearly 2 years old.

I've read posts about waking batteries up in hibernation mode,

These aren't in hibernation. According to all the information I found, hibernation displays a red LED.

if you can't find more of these with a few different search terms, and a solution is not obvious in trying to wake them up, then it may be new batteries are going to be needed.

Perhaps.

Of course as it sounds like it is now well past the 6 months battery warranty period, there will likely be no recourse under DJI warranty etc.

Correct. I wasn't counting on DJI for ANYTHING. I never do.

I did a search here using > mavic pro battery dead wake up . . .

Not a lot different to the thread you posted a link to though, but maybe try the connector contact clean ?

Use the right spray type solution for electronics.

I could buy one...maybe two batteries having dirty contacts. But three? Hell...I have a couple dozen DJI batteries and not one has ever had a dirty contact issue once. So I kind of doubt that that's it. And I tested my batteries on his Mavic and it fired right up. So it's not the Mavic contacts, either.

D

Well, have you put a volt meter on them to see what kind of voltage they are showing? And you could also check resistence since you said it is showing as an open circuit...

That would be the first step for me in trying to figure out what is going on with them.

Reactions: Gindra
It's my charger. I tried my OEM charger, too.

Yes.

Correct.

I tried the original DJI charger first. I like the charger in the photo because it shows green lights when a battery is either charged or disconnected. So, in the eyes of the charger, there aren't even batteries connected. So the "open circuit" is part of my troubleshooting information.

I just got off the phone with my buddy. According to him, the last they worked on the Mavic was Sept. of 2018. So they probably purchased it in August or July. So the batteries are nearly 2 years old.

These aren't in hibernation. According to all the information I found, hibernation displays a red LED.

Perhaps.

Correct. I wasn't counting on DJI for ANYTHING. I never do.

I could buy one...maybe two batteries having dirty contacts. But three? Hell...I have a couple dozen DJI batteries and not one has ever had a dirty contact issue once. So I kind of doubt that that's it. And I tested my batteries on his Mavic and it fired right up. So it's not the Mavic contacts, either.

If 3 batteries were in the same conditions, and one could become a little corroded on contacts, then it is possible it could happen with others.
Was just a suggestion . . . good luck with it, if it comes down to 3 new batteries, the company can make it a tax deduction I expect.

Along these lines, I just bought 3 new batteries for my MM & three for the MPP. I had planned to just leave them in the box and activate them some time in the future after I had some time on each of the three I already have for each AC. Now I'm wondering if I should activate them and store at 30 - 60%. Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, have you put a volt meter on them to see what kind of voltage they are showing? And you could also check resistence since you said it is showing as an open circuit...

That would be the first step for me in trying to figure out what is going on with them.

My buddy said he metered the first battery and got 1 volt. I'm presently at my GF's house without a meter. I'll put it on my list to grab my meter. Now to find the pinout...

1587672056905.png

Okay...good to go. I'll keep you guys in the loop regarding voltage and resistance.

D

Reactions: Amorotor and Gindra
Along these lines, I just bought 3 new batteries for my MM & three for the MPP. I had planned to just leave them in the box and activate them some time in the future after I had some time on each of the three I already have for each AC. Now I'm wondering if I should activate them and store at 30 - 60%. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd just introduce them to the flights now.
Rotate through with the originals, it'll give you the best battery life overall.

It's very likely your warranty for 6 months will be from time of purchase, so no real point in not actually using them, it will be better in the long run.
The night before, just charge only the ones you need for a trip out flying, do this in order, batteries numbered etc.

If you just want to store them, should be ok left around 50%, but anything from say 25% to 50% should be fine too.
But I wouldn't leave them for 2 years without attention, they do apparently lose charge very very slowly over 1 - 2 years or so, how these batteries can end up DOA from new.

If low charge now, maybe charge them up fully now, and then let the MPP batteries self discharge . . . usually 10 days default, but can change that down to even 2 days in settings, fitted to the aircraft powered up etc.

The mini batteries you will have to discharge yourself to 50%, does it have a usb adapter to charge a phone etc ?
If not, you might have to fly it down, or stop charging when the 3rd light starts flashing (if they have the usual indicator lights ?).

Check them now pushing the battery button once, what reading do they show ?
If 2 to 2-1/2 bars solid / flashing, then they are fine for now.
If lower, like 1 bar flashing, maybe do just get them to 50% or so to store.

If leaving longer term and maintaining at the desired say 30 - 50% SOC, then just store them in a cool dry environment, and check the level every couple of months.
Remember the lipo rare occurrence of self destruction, and the very aggressive fire they can produce though, wouldn't store them in the hom unless in a very suitable contained situation.

I finally got around to metering these batteries. Definitely not an easy task with those itty bitty slots.

My findings:

Battery A:
Volts = 0 millivolts
Resistance = 65,000 ohms

Battery B:
Volts = 76 millivolts
Resistance = 64,000 ohms

Battery C:
Volts = 42 millivolts
Resistance = 62,000 ohms

Figuring out how to meter these beotches was the hardest part.

DSC05305.JPG

DSC05308.JPG

Resistance across the needles was 1 Ohm, so they work as a good conductor for these tests.

Any ideas?

D

I finally got around to metering these batteries. Definitely not an easy task with those itty bitty slots.

My findings:

Battery A:
Volts = 0 millivolts
Resistance = 65,000 ohms

Battery B:
Volts = 76 millivolts
Resistance = 64,000 ohms

Battery C:
Volts = 42 millivolts
Resistance = 62,000 ohms

Figuring out how to meter these beotches was the hardest part.

View attachment 99689

View attachment 99690

Resistance across the needles was 1 Ohm, so they work as a good conductor for these tests.

Any ideas?

D
Did you eve find a fix?

You sure better or they will be garbage, like all 3 of mine! This is ridiculous on new never used batteries!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980