DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for learning FPV drone.

jot

Reactions
Hello Mavic Community,

I have just ordered the DJI FPV Drone (not to be confused with the new one that just came out.) and would like some tips or advice on this new toy I have just ordered. I have used it on the DJI Virtual Flight App, and was overwhelmed when I put it into manual mode, and the controls for manual mode are so unnatural for me, is there any way I could ease in with it?

We have a FPV forum also. It has a section just on those you
Might want to join also.

Hello Mavic Community,

I have just ordered the DJI FPV Drone (not to be confused with the new one that just came out.) and would like some tips or advice on this new toy I have just ordered. I have used it on the DJI Virtual Flight App, and was overwhelmed when I put it into manual mode, and the controls for manual mode are so unnatural for me, is there any way I could ease in with it?
I've had my DJI FPV for several months now, and I just love it! I'm in the process of writing a little guide for transitioning to Manual mode on the FPV.

What's your level of experience, if any, with other DJI drones, maybe a Mini or a Mavic? I'm writing my guide based on proficiency with the Mini-2, or comparable experience, but that's not strictly necessary to learn to fly Manual on the FPV.

The key to flying in Manual mode on the FPV is to develop a planned, incremental training plan for yourself. If you've got a lot of sim time you're way ahead of the game. I switched to Manual mode successfully with zero sim time.

In Normal mode, the FPV is pretty much a big, fat, fast Mini-2. It's pretty much the same in Sport mode, but almost double the speed, which is not something that you want to jump into immediately. Everything moves a lot fast in Sport mode, including the consequences of your mistakes, but there's nothing that's fundamentally new about it.

You should treat Manual mode, however, as a completely different aircraft, even though it's in the same hardware body. If I could only give one piece of advice for transitioning to Manual mode, it would be:

Honor thy Escape Button, and keep it Holy.

If you punch out back to Normal mode immediately upon seeing anything that you don't understand, or don't like, you won't go far wrong. When you first start your transition to Manual mode, you should expect the time you spend in Manual mode to be a small number seconds, initially a single digit number of seconds. Knowing where the Escape Button is, and being prepared and practiced to use it, makes all the difference.

As dirkclod suggests, port this thread over to the FPV Forum, and I'll be happy to offer more suggestions that you might find useful.

Welcome to the ranks of the true Drone Eagles...FPV pilots!

:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan