DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Buy or Not To Buy...?

FastOldGuy

Reactions
After several weeks reading here and I'm still undecided. I know "most" forums are filled with Gloom and Doom (since people come here looking for answers). When I made my mind up to buy/build the P2 W/GoPro I had No Second thoughts. Instantly ordered the bird and needed parts. I still have it. The Mavic I like Better for several reasons (it comes assembled, Smaller, it's Cheaper, 4k, longer flight time and cheaper batteries)! I'm also undecided what to do with my P2. (What will a nice P2 with everything but the GoPro sell for?)

Do you regret buying your Mavic? And there has to be lots if owners who have not had problems.

I don't regret it, i have two. yes here the forum is full of problems but it is true they are the ones that need answers and post.

So far maybe i count myself lucky in having very little problems with both mine (so far).

dji defo have some quality control issues and maybe customer service too. Some find it a bit too much with all the new upgrades etc and i think many do not realise the attention sometimes a Mavic needs. (constant tweaking and flight tests after updates to make sure its all going ok among others).

i think recently we have been overlooked a little in the lead up to the new Spark coming out but hopefully we will not soon be forgotten.

it is a lot of money for something that may not be truly up to the standard everyone hoped it would be.

For me though it has pretty much surpassed my expectations of it. i am confident now to fly it (over 100 flights clocked) in most situations inc distance etc.

always though there is that little thing in the back of my brain when flying that expects something may go wrong.

So far nothing has for me it has done what it says, it fly's takes ok photo's in the right circumstances, takes good video again in the right circumstances. is portable to go anywhere and can be in the air fairly quickly. short sport mode bursts can be great fun too.

i have no regrets and a lot of fun with some adrenaline moments thrown in. It is all a steep learning curve.

for me its been worth every penny.

No regrets (apart from the three months wait between ordering and getting it!). For P2 prices, check on ebay and see what they're going for.

No regrets here FastOldGuy. I've had my Mavic since January and no problems what so ever. The Mavic is just right for me. I owned a P2 before I bought my Mavic and while I enjoyed the P2 for several years, the Mavic is so much better.

Completely satisfied!
Buy from a place with a decent return policy. Just in case quality control missed something, which you can figure out in a few days (camera issues mostly)
Coming from a P2 , you will be amazed!
Mavic has fun child like quality (Bebop 2)
And semi pro quality (not quite P4 pro but close enough for most)

I knew there Had to be satisfied Mavic Owners.

Just looked quickly on eBay... Looking at P2 prices, it might be a dust collector in my pile of 35mm Nikon's and other electronic (worthless) toys. I'd rather keep the GoPro (or buy a New One) which makes the P2 worth less. I'm guessing about $400 With the GoPro.

IMO DJI is going after different set of people with the Spark. I wonder how many will still spend $500 for a toy? (But... Any of the DJI quads could sill be considered toys.)

Just found the Poll on the Mavic which would have answered my Question.

Last edited:
I knew there Had to be satisfied Mavic Owners.

Just looked quickly on eBay... Looking at P2 prices, it might be a dust collector in my pile of 35mm Nikon's and other electronic (worthless) toys. I'd rather keep the GoPro (or buy a New One) which makes the P2 worth less. I'm guessing about $400 With the GoPro.

IMO DJI is going after different set of people with the Spark. I wonder how many will still spend $500 for a toy? (But... Any of the DJI quads could sill be considered toys.)

Just found the Poll on the Mavic which would have answered my Question.

What country are you in? Is it a P2 or P2+? What model Go Pro? Either way, depending on where you sell it Craigslist, eBay, PP or MP, youre going to get around $200 - $250 for a Vision, and $275 - $325 for a +. Taking off the Go Pro will not make the P2 worthless. They still sell, and people use their own cameras.

There are alot of satisfied Mavic owners. Check out this poll, Im not sure if its the one you found:

Poll: Are you happy with your Mavic?

and this one:

Poll: Are you going to buy a Spark?

BTW, I consider anything what you cant make money with is a toy. If you can shoot and make money with the Spark, which is entirely possible, then I dont consider it a toy. If you buy a Matrice, and never use it commercially, it's an expensive toy.

After several weeks reading here and I'm still undecided. I know "most" forums are filled with Gloom and Doom (since people come here looking for answers). When I made my mind up to buy/build the P2 W/GoPro I had No Second thoughts. Instantly ordered the bird and needed parts. I still have it. The Mavic I like Better for several reasons (it comes assembled, Smaller, it's Cheaper, 4k, longer flight time and cheaper batteries)! I'm also undecided what to do with my P2. (What will a nice P2 with everything but the GoPro sell for?)

Do you regret buying your Mavic? And there has to be lots if owners who have not had problems.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase of my Mavic. I've never had a problem but I also use a ipad Mini 4 which seems like a more stable platform then Android. I have a Phantom 3 Standard that I'm giving away to a neighborhood kid since I never use it after buying the Mavic which is probably the same thing you'll do with your P2. I see a lot of posts regarding the price of the Mavic. If you really think about it then its cheap. If I get 100 flights out of my Mavic then its $10 a flight, 200 flights then its cost $5, etc. What other activity is so cheap & provides so much fun? I guess the biggest reason for not buying one is if its hard for an individual to find a place to fly.

I have been telling people that if they even have a SLIGHT interest in buying one to just do it. This is one of the few "toys" that I've bought where I've been completely satisfied. And in this case, my expectations have been exceeded.

That Mavic Pro is an awesome drone.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase of my Mavic. I've never had a problem but I also use a ipad Mini 4 which seems like a more stable platform then Android. I have a Phantom 3 Standard that I'm giving away to a neighborhood kid since I never use it after buying the Mavic which is probably the same thing you'll do with your P2. I see a lot of posts regarding the price of the Mavic. If you really think about it then its cheap. If I get 100 flights out of my Mavic then its $10 a flight, 200 flights then its cost $5, etc. What other activity is so cheap & provides so much fun? I guess the biggest reason for not buying one is if its hard for an individual to find a place to fly.

You hit on one of my minor concerns, I Don't want to have to buy an iPad mini for the Mavic & I have an Android phones.

My Son is 25 but doesn't have much interest in the Phantom. (He'd rather collect the rest of my Guitars or motorcycles.) I like you idea of giving the P2 away all my neighbors are Older than I am. I see the Mavic as a tool, You Could make money with it but probably won't.

Reading through the Poll, I can't see the results without Voting. Someone mentioned 87% were happy. I'll make a decision by Tuesday morning.

No regrets. I've had it for months. No problems. I haven't flown as much as most with the same time of ownership. Take your time and learn the menu settings in DJI GO app to get the most out of your craft.

If you really think about it then its cheap. If I get 100 flights out of my Mavic then its $10 a flight, 200 flights then its cost $5, etc.

It's actually alot lower than that if you take into account residual value, or what you can sell it for when youre done with it.

New price $999.00
Selling it after a year or 100 flights -$500.00
Real cost $499.00
Cost per flight - 100 flights $4.99
Cost per minute - 20 minute flight $0.28

Where else can you have so much fun for 28››¢ a minute

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members