DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To label or not to label

Yup, certainly put a 'if found please ring' contact number. On y Spark I used a labelling machine. Another trick is to put a text file on your SD card with your contact details.

My Mini just arrived. Before I take it out and fly it I'm thinking I should put my name and phone number on it. What are the pros and cons of doing this? I'm thinking there are more pros than cons, but I would like more experienced pilots opinions. Thanks...

Also, I know that with the weight of the Mini I don't have to register it. With that being said, are you registering your Mini?

There our so many cool things that you our going to want to have with , lights, wet suits, skins , landing gear , just makes sense that you would register your drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

That's so edge case it's bordering on tinfoil hattery.
I think you’d report the theft to the police? Once they have a report, no problem at all to prove you weren’t flying at the time an offence occurred.

That's so edge case it's bordering on tinfoil hattery.
It is a real possibility and only one example. Another example is that you are flying and the drone gets away from you for whatever reason and goes where it should not be. If the drone is registered, you may now very well need to pay a fine. What is reason for registering when you don't need to?

I think you’d report the theft to the police? Once they have a report, no problem at all to prove you weren’t flying at the time an offence occurred.
No problem at all? You are going to report the theft of an $800 drone? Time to drive to the local station. Time to complete the report. Then time on the phone explaining the left. That is if it all goes smoothly. This is just one example. What are the benefits to registering when you don't need to?

It is a real possibility and only one example. Another example is that you are flying and the drone gets away from you for whatever reason and goes where it should not be. If the drone is registered, you may now very well need to pay a fine. What is reason for registering when you don't need to?
Nobody is talking about registering, we're talking about labelling your drone so you can get it back if you lose it. Iif the drone gets away from you and you've been reckless then perhaps you should cough up the fine, if it was due to some technical problem then I suspect you'll be just fine.

Reactions: FireballXL5
Hmm, if anyone intended to stop operations at an airport I'd think the first thing they would do is to steal a drone ...
I got the threads confused, as mentioned above. There was another thread in which someone said they would register their drone even if it did not need to be registered.

But to your point, you don't even need to steal one. Either don't put anything on the drone, put a phoney registration number or the FAA has made it _very_ easy to get someone's registration number. You only need to be close to someone's drone to now read it.

I believe the whole idea behind what DJI has done is create a flying camera that meets the goal of non registration and capture an entirely new crowd of owners that it didn’t have prior to it’s release.

I'm sure you're right. I'm one of that crowd!

What is the difference? I thought you registered the drone, and that in turn registered you. Or are you talking about the 107 cert?
Currently part 107 pilots register each drone, and get a different FAA number for each, while those registered as hobbyists get a single FAA number that is assigned to the pilot and usable on all drones they own.

Currently part 107 pilots register each drone, and get a different FAA number for each, while those registered as hobbyists get a single FAA number that is assigned to the pilot and usable on all drones they own.

Thanks, Thomas. For some reason I thought as a hobbyist it was the drone that had to be registered, and not the pilot. It does make since to register the pilot vs. the drone for the hobbyist.

If you have your registration number on your drone as you should, adding your ID is only sensible. It can be traced via the reg but a lot of people have no idea how, so having your ID on both the SD card (plain old JPEG file) and physically printed on a card in the battery compartment is good insurance for potential return ( a monetary reward note helps too).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147