DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today's possible winner of the stupid question contest.Compass

offtheback

Reactions
If I receive a compass magnetic interference error while drone is on ground before takeoff and it disappears just after takeoff(10' altitude or so) is it ok to fly?I've done it before and all was fine.As I type this I am thinking that upon takeoff the drone moved away from the interference.Was I just lucky?

If I receive a compass magnetic interference error while drone is on ground before takeoff and it disappears just after takeoff(10' altitude or so) is it ok to fly?I've done it before and all was fine.As I type this I am thinking that upon takeoff the drone moved away from the interference.Was I just lucky?
its because of some metal such as rebar thats in the ground or some metal close by such as a car or metal shed ,if it happens again just move the drone a few feet away,and it should clear the warning

No, Once that compass is hammered you want to shut down and restart from a different Position.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Snow and Land on Water.

Offtheback, It's a common thing people are doing, I see it frequently. If you're clear of the error once you're up in the air, you're good to go, they think. And they're often right. I've done it before as well, but that was when I was younger and more eager.

As a rule these days, I choose to relocate. On more than one occasion (though rare), I could not find a good alternative, so I packed it up and walked away.

Because you're taking a chance. You don't know the interference will clear once you're airborne. If you get a flyaway after ignoring an error message, you may have just bought a new drone. All pre-flight checklists include checking for things like satellite counts and free of magnetic / transmission-interference errors.

But that's just me. I can't afford to replace my rig.

Chris

I concur with both ways above. I have a glass table (some metal structure below that) I will do a quick launch from my patio if the "need" arises to. I know my compass cal is good. I get a compass error on launch, I only have it there long enough to launch (So about 45 seconds) I then am up over the rail to the back yard at about 10 foot. I reset home point, switch over to Sensors tab and check all is in green and then fly normally. Never had a issue in about 50 flights doing this.

However when at all possible on any unknown area move it best you can to clear the warning. If you must launch from that area, NEVER calibrate in that area to clear warning as this is what will induce 90% of faults and issues. Climb up to 10 foot and check that all systems are now a go as outlined above, shouldn't have a problem doing either way I describe following the guide lines outlined. YMMV :)

@offtheback no question is stupid, we all had to start somewhere and this forum is where to come to get your questions answered ,even at my age, i learn something new every day the stupid question is the one not asked

I was thinking this was a software bug. I routinely see the compass interference when hand launching. No metal in sight (no watch either). I used to calibrate every time in that spot and all was good. Recently I just launch and it goes green. I land right away in my hand and check compass, all is good. I think there's something more happening here. M2P with SC

Bob

Reactions: offtheback
I don’t think it is wise to takeoff with a compass error showing. If you choose to take this risk I would strongly suggest you check to make sure that the actual aircraft orientation matches the directional indicator on the map. This will ensure the IMU is not getting bad data which could cause erratic flight.

Yes, thanks. I do make sure the heading is correct during every takeoff.

Does anyone think repeated compass errors without magnetic materials nearby could signal an impending hardware failure?

I also don't believe there are such things as stupid questions.

Bob

Does anyone think repeated compass errors without magnetic materials nearby could signal an impending hardware failure?
Perhaps. But I'd be cautious in assuming there is no magnetic material nearby. Soil can contain natural magnetic minerals or buried metal objects. If you have a compass error before takeoff, try lifting the drone to shoulder height. Does the error clear itself? If the app recommends doing a compass calibration, do so!

I like how this user figured it out.

Reactions: Cyberagent
I like how this user figured it out.

Ummmm I feel ripped off, My M2Z has a plastic case..I have never heard of a metal case on ANY DJI aircraft and if it was metal it certainly wouldn't be conducive to any magnetic force...that was just silly. :oops: Not picking on the guy but "log chains" and drones....who thinks that is a good idea? :p

Last edited:
Yes, thanks. I do make sure the heading is correct during every takeoff.

I also don't believe there are such things as stupid questions.

Bob
I disagree sir.Stupid questions exist?

Reactions: A.O.
@offtheback no question is stupid, we all had to start somewhere and this forum is where to come to get your questions answered ,even at my age, i learn something new every day the stupid question is the one not asked
Great comment. I hate seeing honest questions ridiculed on social media. People should help not put others down if they ask for advice. Same principle applies from early school days. The best teachers are mentors, not muttonheads! ????

I enjoyed the discussion and the question that brought up the discussion. If I get a magnetic interference in a place that I am considering flying from I simply go to another place. Sometimes only a few feet will make a difference.

I had this happen everywhere I tried to fly on a 40 acre piece of property. I call it magnet mountain! Flight went well but I kept it close at hand

To the original question, there’s an old adage amongst pilots that “you won’t live long enough to learn from your mistakes”. I think that could be transferred to the world of drones to say, “your drone won’t live long enough to learn from your mistakes”. If you want to avoid a crash, be overly cautious. A few years ago I launched my Inspire, threaded it through some trees and then all hell broke loose. Compass errors, GPS errors, ATTI mode all along with strong winds. It recovered but then the errors occurred again. I was very lucky to get the Inspire home in one piece. I later learned that there was a huge metal sewage tank buried right below the place I had calibrated the compass and launched the drone. I always check the compass and IMU status in Advanced settings before launch now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf