DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total loss of control - started gaining altitude and ended up going 14000ft+ the wrong direction

There was a similar thread recently, in which the RC itself was to blame: it was sending spurious commands.

A new RC seems to have solved the problem:

After reading this entire thread I would like to validate the following hypothesis.

I fly racing drones. To get maximum foreword speed you have full forward tilt and push up the throttle.

As the OP is quite adamant that he did not keep using throttle upwards during this problem, I need to ask the following question.

Do the logs show only the throttle input as provided by the RC or does it include any throttle correction required to move forward to counteract a very, very strong wind?

I would assume that the request to RTH would have had the drone at its max tilt angle and would still be blown backwards. The drone would need to up the throttle at max tilt to make some headway.

Is it possible that this is what was recorded in the logs?

Unfortunately this incident is completely an operator error. I'm just trying to understand the two apposing pieces of information from the operator and the logs.

If I get wind warnings, the first thing I check is the drone angle to keep it level, then if excessive, I fly home. (not RTH) and land.

Cheers

Hi everyone :)

Took my drone for a little fly today and after using for a few minutes of just hovering but at a higher altitude. I tried returning to home the drone and it started flying towards the sea and started gaining altitude in the process. I tried using the RTH feature however that wasnt doing anything and was just flying the wrong direction (away from us). I then tried manually to fly it towards us however it still continued flying away and gaining altitude. The drone got to around 14K feet distance from us and was just hovering above the sea and still wouldn't come back to us even when in RTH mode. The battery warning came up and tried returning to home but still didnt even come towards us. I will attach logs so you can take a look. Any help would be appreciated.

It then went into the sea at around 15% battery life and now its gone :(
Kind regards
It was going back Home, China!

I'm late to the party. But I agree with everyone who thinks that it is the sticks calibration that is the problem. I had a 300C remote with the same problem. Having to recalibrate constantly the left stick because it was, without input, either forcing the Drone to go up, or down so hard it wouldn't take off. Now it's in the parts box. Sorry again for your loss and hope you're back in the air soon.

Reactions: friocapital
Hi everyone :)

Took my drone for a little fly today and after using for a few minutes of just hovering but at a higher altitude. I tried returning to home the drone and it started flying towards the sea and started gaining altitude in the process. I tried using the RTH feature however that wasnt doing anything and was just flying the wrong direction (away from us). I then tried manually to fly it towards us however it still continued flying away and gaining altitude. The drone got to around 14K feet distance from us and was just hovering above the sea and still wouldn't come back to us even when in RTH mode. The battery warning came up and tried returning to home but still didnt even come towards us. I will attach logs so you can take a look. Any help would be appreciated.

It then went into the sea at around 15% battery life and now its gone :(
Kind regards
I suspect some type of RF interference overpowered your communication with the aircraft.

No - you must have been confused. You repeatedly applied throttle during this event. And each time you did it cancelled RTH, and then you re-enabled it. All the ascent, including your initial takeoff and climb, corresponds exactly with the recorded throttle inputs (black trace):

View attachment 92810

To add to that - throttle was the only input that you applied when it started to blow away - you made no attempt at all to fly it back other than repeatedly engaging RTH and some very brief elevator inputs around 300 seconds.

View attachment 92811

View attachment 92812
Maybe he got left and right sticks mixed up in a panic...atlrast that's what it seems like

Reactions: lenzwizard
I’m new here. This kind of makes me laugh thinking about how many angry customers at DJI must have demanded new ****, saying they weren’t at fault at all. Only for DJI to look at the log and sit calmly until this angry person exhausts all their oxygen so they can say “you did this”

As the OP is quite adamant that he did not keep using throttle upwards during this problem, I need to ask the following question.

Do the logs show only the throttle input as provided by the RC or does it include any throttle correction required to move forward to counteract a very, very strong wind?
I would assume that the request to RTH would have had the drone at its max tilt angle and would still be blown backwards. The drone would need to up the throttle at max tilt to make some headway.
Is it possible that this is what was recorded in the logs?
But I agree with everyone who thinks that it is the sticks calibration that is the problem.
The recorded flight data tells a different story from what the OP has.
It clearly shows that the drone would hold altitude with the left stick centred, descend with the stick pulled down and climb when it was pushed forward.
The big problem was that the OP push the left stick forward quite a lot but didn't pull it down very much.

During the whole flight (>14 mins), the only effort to bring the drone down out of the wind was for just 7 seconds.
That resulted in losing 70 ft altitude, but he immediately went back to pushing the left stick forward again, climbing even higher, eventually reaching 900 ft.
I suspect some type of RF interference overpowered your communication with the aircraft.
Interference at worst will just swamp the control signal (which will trigger RTH).
It will not take control of the drone and send it higher.
The recorded flight data clearly shows that there were matching joystick control inputs for every move the drone made.

Just going by all the comments from all sides - - if the pilot was in fact, not throttling up - sounds like the controller may be bad since throttle was being recorded and cancelling the RTH.

Just going by all the comments from all sides - - if the pilot was in fact, not throttling up - sounds like the controller may be bad since throttle was being recorded and cancelling the RTH.
There's no indication that there was any problem with the controller at all and no suggestion that the controller somehow cancelled RTH.

I’m new here. This kind of makes me laugh thinking about how many angry customers at DJI must have demanded new ****, saying they weren’t at fault at all. Only for DJI to look at the log and sit calmly until this angry person exhausts all their oxygen so they can say “you did this”

I just sent my Mavic 2 in to DJI - -
Told them in the explanation...
I screwed up - forgot I was in sport - flew the drone into the tree and the drone then looked like a Plinko game as it tumbled down, hitting each and every branch and tumbling around.
BTW - I put new props on and flew it right away - - - - the only damage was the front leg/antenna was bent/cracked.
>> I bet DJI flipped out that someone actually admitted their own screw up

Reactions: Bekanne and Drgnfli
There's no indication that there was any problem with the controller at all and no suggestion that the controller somehow cancelled RTH.
I don't read code - was just going with what was said in the thread
Doesn't a throttle command, cancel out RTH ??

I don't read code - was just going with what was said in the thread
What's been posted in the thread is a mix of guesses from people that haven't looked at the data.
And other comments based on what is actually in the recorded flight data.
Not surprisingly, some of the guesses are quite different from what the data shows.
Doesn't a throttle command, cancel out RTH ??
No it doesn't.
You can use the throttle during RTH and it will just change your altitude but the RTH continues.

Question: do the logs show actual stick control used (left up/down) or only the function assigned?
I ask because if only the function applied is shown, then there could be an issue with stick assignment. I mean it is assumed left stick up meant throttle up. Perhaps that wasn't the current assignment. If instead right/left stick assignments were reversed, or left up/down were reversed, one could get confused on what they are commanding. They think they are applying throttle down with left stick down, but really it is applying throttle up or move forward/backward.

RC calibration: that could explain commands sent with no actual stick pressure, but that only biases the command from zero. You can counter that. IOW if stick neutral sends 10% up, pushing down all the way would still give you at least 90% throttle down.

Assuming throttle stick did become useless and not sending proper command. Command to land to get lower altitude and cancel when low enough to get out of high wind. Then use right stick only to bring her back. In case of orientation confusion map should show if you're heading closer back or not using thrust and bank.
Use yaw only if map shows stick use matches command.

Max Height setting could be used to prevent going too high even autonomously, though I don't know if you can have the change take effect mid-flight, particularly if you've already gone above the new limit.

Of course these ideas are easy to say after the fact. Much like answering game show questions in the comfort of your home vs being on the show.

The plus side was that signal was not lost the entire time, so there always was a chance a solution could be found, but sad that a solution could not be thought of in time.

Question: do the logs show actual stick control used (left up/down) or only the function assigned?
I ask because if only the function applied is shown, then there could be an issue with stick assignment. I mean it is assumed left stick up meant throttle up. Perhaps that wasn't the current assignment. If instead right/left stick assignments were reversed, or left up/down were reversed, one could get confused on what they are commanding. They think they are applying throttle down with left stick down, but really it is applying throttle up or move forward/backward.

RC calibration: that could explain commands sent with no actual stick pressure, but that only biases the command from zero. You can counter that. IOW if stick neutral sends 10% up, pushing down all the way would still give you at least 90% throttle down.

Assuming throttle stick did become useless and not sending proper command. Command to land to get lower altitude and cancel when low enough to get out of high wind. Then use right stick only to bring her back. In case of orientation confusion map should show if you're heading closer back or not using thrust and bank.
Use yaw only if map shows stick use matches command.

Max Height setting could be used to prevent going too high even autonomously, though I don't know if you can have the change take effect mid-flight, particularly if you've already gone above the new limit.

Of course these ideas are easy to say after the fact. Much like answering game show questions in the comfort of your home vs being on the show.

The plus side was that signal was not lost the entire time, so there always was a chance a solution could be found, but sad that a solution could not be thought of in time.
If you looked at the data rather than submitting guesses, you would have saved yourself some typing.
The recorded flight data clearly shows that the drone would hold altitude with the left stick centred, descend with it pulled down and climb when it was pushed forward.
That's how we can tell that what's labelled Throttle in the data is really the throttle.

Reactions: Brandaloo
I do not understand why newbies at this hobby think they can fly in winds over 20 mph with impunity. You are pushing your luck with an expensive toy! Must be nice to be rich! I've dared nature with my MP once when I was a newbie & the 22 mph wind almost blew my Mavy into the neighbor's tree. I had to quickly switch to Sport mode to bring it back to safety & I consider myself very, very lucky that day! I had no warnings, I had good GPS sats & a "green" takeoff but flying above my yards trees was almost a disaster. I now have the apps "Dark Sky" & "UAV Forecast" set @ 15MPH & I get "RED" indications & texts before I even think about flying. You will have enough crashes flying your drone without pushing your luck with high winds too!
Sorry you lost your drone but remember what I've said... Chill when it is windy!...

Reactions: Bekanne
@bigboots Did you try DJI's suggestion to check calibration?

When I see these threads (and I have had some incredible luck in similar situations), I think about a killing the power and deploying a parachute. BB may have still ended up in water, but we may just land in the tops of trees, or at least more safely.

When I see these threads (and I have had some incredible luck in similar situations), I think about a killing the power and deploying a parachute. BB may have still ended up in water, but we may just land in the tops of trees, or at least more safely.
When the probb;em is that the drone is fighting a wind stronger than teh drone can fly against, the obvious solution is to bring the drone down out of that wind.
Abandoning a parachute-equipped drone to the wind is not going to help, particularly when it's so easy to pull down on the left stick and solve the problem.
Post #49 explains clearly what the problem was and how it could have been solved very simply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph