DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total loss of control - started gaining altitude and ended up going 14000ft+ the wrong direction

They might offer a discount if they are feeling generous, but this was entirely pilot error and there is no ambiguity at all in those data. Pitch was maxed out at 25° during RTH as the aircraft attempted to return, but it was still being blown backwards at an average of 5.5 m/s.

View attachment 92815

Switching to sport and flying back manually would have accessed 35° pitch, and might have worked, but the OP didn't try that.
Thank you for replying mate, i appreciate it

I'll try emailing them and see what they say.

I was confused why RTH wasnt coming towards me but i guess if the wind was pushing it that far back / fighting against it then fair enough - I just didnt see why it gained so much altitude, which probably didnt help the situation when fighting against the wind to come back.

it needs an input from the controller to climb or it will climb in RTH, even if in ATTI mode the wind would not have made it gain any significant altitude,and why did it keep going up some strange things going on there

There's nothing strange there - all the climb was commanded by throttle as shown in the first graph in post #15.

Lesson learnt I guess.

Expensive but hopefully that mistake won't be made again.

Take a look at General > Notifications and then hit the link for the HD Player. It shows the flight altitude changes matched the inputs on the left stick. I'm new at this, so I'm not sure if it is possible the data in the log is corrupted, but it matches just about perfect. Once the drone was that high up, the wind was taking it.

You'll also note the orientation of the drone. It was pointed back home and getting pushed back in winds of 43 to 50 MPH.

In my novice opinion, you should have manually descended as soon as possible and manually fly it home in Sport mode in that type of wind.

This link to show this information will not be active more than a few days.

Does it show in the logs where I was holding the throttle down to descent the drone?

I had it held down for quite a while. It was going sideways and increasing altitude whilst I was trying to descent the drone.

Take a look at General > Notifications and then hit the link for the HD Player. It shows the flight altitude changes matched the inputs on the left stick. I'm new at this, so I'm not sure if it is possible the data in the log is corrupted, but it matches just about perfect. Once the drone was that high up, the wind was taking it.

I think it's much easier to visualize in the graphs above - but that's correct - they match. The log data are good - it's very easy to distinguish spurious data.
You'll also note the orientation of the drone. It was pointed back home and getting pushed back in winds of 43 to 50 MPH.

In my novice opinion, you should have manually descended as soon as possible and manually fly it home in Sport mode in that type of wind.

That's exactly the correct procedure in this situation.
This link to show this information will not be active more than a few days.

I posted the same in post #8 with a permanent link, so no problem.

Reactions: BJR981S
@bigboots Here are your Throttle inputs. All are up throttle except for two very brief downs. The aircraft responded appropriately.

1580574141597.png

Reactions: slup and bigboots
Does it show in the logs where I was holding the throttle down to descent the drone?

I had it held down for quite a while. It was going sideways and increasing altitude whilst I was trying to descent the drone.

As you can see in the graph - there are three brief periods of down throttle (black trace). Two are only around one second each. The longest, at 225 seconds, was 7 seconds long, and you can see that it does reduce the aircraft altitude (red trace) by 21 meters, before you went back to up throttle.

Climb.png

As you can see in the graph - there are three brief periods of down throttle (black trace). Two are only around one second each. The longest, at 225 seconds, was 7 seconds long, and you can see that it does reduce the aircraft altitude (red trace) by 21 meters, before you went back to up throttle.

View attachment 92818
there's no way I would ascent when the drone was flying higher when it was out of control mate.

I had descent on for a while (even tho on my phone screen it says the altitude was continuously increasing)

View attachment 92818
when it was going further away, no way would I try to increase the altitude even more

when it was going further away, no way would I try to increase the altitude even more
As another point of reference. The .dat log matches the .txt log. I find it more than highly unlikely that this data is incorrect.

1580574813685.png

Reactions: Thomas B
there's no way I would ascent when the drone was flying higher when it was out of control mate.

I had descent on for a while (even tho on my phone screen it says the altitude was continuously increasing)

I'm sure that you would not have done that intentionally. Unfortunately it is easy to become disorientated on the sticks when things are going wrong, and these forums are replete with accounts of flights where that happened. If it turned out that the RC throttle only works (or mostly only works) in the positive (up) direction then that would be the first time I've seen that failure mode. If you can find another MP to pair that controller to then it should be easy to test though.

As another point of reference. The .dat log matches the .txt log. I find it more than highly unlikely that this data is incorrect.

View attachment 92819

The failure would be the RC stick position output, not the logged data, which are obviously correct.

It's just one of them thing i suppose. I will have to test flight next one in the house. just hope i can get a discount from dji.

The failure would be the RC stick position output, not the logged data, which are obviously correct.
Now come to think of it every time i put the controller in the dji mavic bag that came with it.the sticks were always pressed and very tight as they did not fit.????

Now come to think of it every time i put the controller in the dji mavic bag that came with it.the sticks were always pressed and very tight as they did not fit.????

Have you encountered what seemed like anomalous stick response on previous flights?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock