DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total loss of control - started gaining altitude and ended up going 14000ft+ the wrong direction

From my experience with windy conditions, trying to get it to come home or manually has not worked. Fortunately I was over land, and made a forced landing blocks away. Conditions were to windy to return to home. I learned a very important lesson about flying in strong wind conditions. Still have my MP, and now don't fly if winds are over 10 miles per hour. epically high over 100 feet.

Reactions: Bekanne
I don't think that is quite right. OP is asking if it is at all possible that the RC sticks failed to recenter, thereby making the AC to continue climbing after he let go of the sticks. These would still show in the logs and the logs would show that the AC did what it was commanded, as it does in this case.
Yup. I see your point. I would assume the sticks could fail to recenter due to a calibration or spring issue.

But there were also down inputs into the left stick resulting in an immediate descent and when those inputs stopped - per the logs - the drone went into hover. Then input back up = ascend again. I did not see any full down movements to stop an ascent, just stopped when the stick came back to neutral.

I'm new at this, so I could be totally wrong.

If the OP got confused during the initial panic of the drone being blown away, and reversed the sticks, that might account for all of this. The drone was facing home, and if instead of applying full DOWN (left) stick to descend, he was full DOWN on the right stick, that would just make the drone back up and fly away from him faster. And then trying to make the drone come FORWARD (toward him) by applying full UP on the left stick instead of right, that would account for the climb.

If the OP got confused during the initial panic of the drone being blown away, and reversed the sticks, that might account for all of this. The drone was facing home, and if instead of applying full DOWN (left) stick to descend, he was full DOWN on the right stick, that would just make the drone back up and fly away from him faster. And then trying to make the drone come FORWARD (toward him) by applying full UP on the left stick instead of right, that would account for the climb.
From the logs we have, he rarely touched the right stick.

So the controller must be faulty? on rth i did not touch any sticks. Nor did it respond to any direction. but was fine when taking off etc. and i cannot also understand why it kept going up on it's own and flying off i tried to get it back down but kept going over 400ft then 800ft. and rth should drop it to 50 mtr anyway and i tried to cancel rth and control it a few time but nothing just kept going.

You should have just killed the motors.

Reactions: friocapital
Hi everyone :)

Took my drone for a little fly today and after using for a few minutes of just hovering but at a higher altitude. I tried returning to home the drone and it started flying towards the sea and started gaining altitude in the process. I tried using the RTH feature however that wasnt doing anything and was just flying the wrong direction (away from us). I then tried manually to fly it towards us however it still continued flying away and gaining altitude. The drone got to around 14K feet distance from us and was just hovering above the sea and still wouldn't come back to us even when in RTH mode. The battery warning came up and tried returning to home but still didnt even come towards us. I will attach logs so you can take a look. Any help would be appreciated.

It then went into the sea at around 15% battery life and now its gone :(
Kind regards

So sorry to hear of this. Your flight logs are one for the record books. A normal Mavic Pro is pretty much hard coded to never ascend to those heights. I have flown up to ~600m, and I don't like it. Thin air & the jetstream really forces drones to work harder than designed.

Did you use a diffrent mobile? A different USB cable? Litchi in FPV mode, vs. Go 4? After 8 years, I've had many drones vanish for a while, but I haven't lost one yet. There must be some variable.

So sorry to hear of this. Your flight logs are one for the record books. A normal Mavic Pro is pretty much hard coded to never ascend to those heights. I have flown up to ~600m, and I don't like it. Thin air & the jetstream really forces drones to work harder than designed.

Did you use a diffrent mobile? A different USB cable? Litchi in FPV mode, vs. Go 4? After 8 years, I've had many drones vanish for a while, but I haven't lost one yet. There must be some variable.

It only ascended to 280 m.

I have flown up to ~600m, and I don't like it. Thin air & the jetstream really forces drones to work harder than designed.
Perhaps you meant 6000 metres ?
From the specs:
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level16404 feet (5000 m)
At 600 metres the air is barely any thinner than at sea level.

From the specs:
Roger that

That was distance, not height.

Roger that, post titles can be deceving,....my handwritten log book lists a P3 std's altitude @ 2900m AGL, Fairfax VA, 2013.17deg C. Long before DC NFZ's

From the specs:

I was still wrong.....blasted mile/km/knot conversion. Read below....2900m, or ~10,000 feet AGL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905