DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tripod Mode petition

What was tripod mode? FWIW, it seems to me that those of us who have just arrived are happier with our birds than those who have been here awhile. IMO, my M3 seems like one of the better equipment purchases of my lifetime.

You don't miss it if you never had it to begin with :) That doesn't mean it's not a valid option/mode none-the-less to some people.

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac
What was tripod mode? FWIW, it seems to me that those of us who have just arrived are happier with our birds than those who have been here awhile. IMO, my M3 seems like one of the better equipment purchases of my lifetime.
Tripod Mode

Tripod Mode is an extremely versatile intelligent flight mode available on the DJI Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, and Phantom 4 Advanced. ... By giving you more control of your drone, Tripod Mode makes it easy to record smooth footage and cinematic shots for a variety of projects and applications.

Its more precise and used when you want finesse - Autel offers this with "Precision Flight Mode" Giving you a slider for "Horizontal Speed", "Vertical Speed" and "Rotational (Yaw) Speed" - it's not something I use a lot, but like the OTHER Autel mode "Dual Stability" - it has it's use cases. Precision is really good for close in flying/recording, where you want OA turned off and want that close, but smooth footage. Dual Stability is not speed restrictive at all, but brakes very (very) gently, and accelerates very slowly, taking something like 6x the time to accelerate from stop to full speed. The braking can catch you off guard. I tried it in a semi-open area, from full tilt normal (22 MPH) I let go of the right stick and the drone flew another 60-70 feet or possibly more. The point is, offering fine tuning modes, and options for flight control are never a bad thing, even if the audience for them is not big. These are not cheap toys and need to have pro level control. I will sign the petition, but you know: Yelling: "You CANNOT petition DJI with TRIPOD MODE" - okay maybe 3 people on here will get that reference, LOL.

Here:

I mention Autel and everyone who signs the petition should as well. DJI must get really annoyed with mentions of Autel, once a tiny sliver of a splinter in their big toe, but slowly becoming a more painful thorn in their side, that pokes at them, ever more apparent.

Before 2020, DroneAnalyst reports told a story of DJI firming its grip on the industry. While there was a small, 5-point drop in the company’s dominance last year, this year, DJI has witnessed a drastic 15-point drop in the global commercial drone market according to DroneAnalyst.

DJI MArket Share.jpg

DJI’s commercial market share now stands at 54% (by units), with Autel Robotics emerging as the biggest beneficiary of the market shakeup. In 2021, Autel rose to take up a 7% market share, 4 points above any other competitor, with a product suite focused mostly on public safety and creative sectors with products similar to DJI’s.

Interesting reporting - perhaps explaining the eye watering prices we are seeing on Mavic 3. Note that the shakeup has been in the commercial sector and DJI probably isn't losing much sleep about the consumer market just yet. But having the bulk of any market is not good for us as consumers, for obvious reasons. So hopefully things continue to get shook up, and the M3 release missteps are going to add to the drama, in some way yet to be measured, if it is measurable at all. It sure LOOKS significant, but looks can deceive. All I know is, it seems DJI is putting more focus on profits than previously, and that may, ironically backfire, which is the outcome I want to see. Not a mortal blow, but for a company already said to be somewhat stressed financially (said to... whatever THAT means) - it would be sooo nice for them to look at this situation and say "Hmmm. When we offered exceptional value in products, we DID better in profits. When we pushed hard to make more, we did worse. Maybe we should revaluate!" Then they will put a charger perhaps... maybe even an extra set of control sticks in the RC Pro Package that's $1200 and comes with neither. Right about the time monkeys come flying drones out my butt. Apple might get away with this stuff, hopefully DJI and other don't succeed at these kind of incessant profit motivated everything.

A simple free hack that works very well is posted in the software mode section of the forum. You need to ask permission to join this section. Look in your settings to join software modes.
The very simple mode will give you from 5 meters per second (16.40 ft/s) to 1.5 meters per second(4.92126 ft/s) in Cine mode. Been using this mode for a few months now and just love it.
Like I said you need to join the software mode section to find it.
If you cannot figure out how to join this section then ask a moderator to help you out.
Not sure if this will work on the new Mavic 3, sorry I have no experience with that drone.

Isn’t the old Go4 Tripod mode now known as Cine mode on the newer Fly app drones ?
The M3 supposedly has Sport, Normal, and Cine flight modes.
Pretty much. In fact, when you fly in Cine mode on the M3 and look at your flight log, the log will indicate Tripod mode rather than Cine mode. However, as other posters on this thread have stated, the Cine mode isn’t as good as the old Tripod mode.

Tripod mode allowed a maximum speed of 1 m/s.. it enabled much smoother video capture and control. Cine mode runs up to 5 m/s and consequently, particularly with the M3, which is twitchier to begin with, is no substitute.

Wow, I was really excited about putting in my order for the Mavic 3 Cine Combo, but what a huge climax when I discovered it did not have Tripod mode ! I have cancelled my order as a result. Not having Tripod mode makes no sense, it's vital for pro users for small scale moves be it little tracks and jibs. Why launch this product with wonderfully improved 5K quality and all the other improvements, but take away one of the most basic and vital modes ! When DJI come to their senses, I'm crossing fingers that Tripod mode can be achieved with a future software update and then I will certainly buy it. In the meantime I'll stick with my P4 Pro Plus and where tripod mode is frequently used.

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow, I was really excited about putting in my order for the Mavic 3 Cine Combo, but what a huge climax when I discovered it did not have Tripod mode ! I have cancelled my order as a result. Not having Tripod mode makes no sense, it's vital for pro users for small scale moves be it little tracks and jibs. Why launch this product with wonderfully improved 5K quality and all the other improvements, but take away one of the most basic and vital modes ! When DJI come to their senses, I'm crossing fingers that Tripod mode can be achieved with a future software update and then I will certainly buy it. In the meantime I'll stick with my P4 Pro Plus and where tripod mode is frequently used.

WELCOME to the forum Trevor.

Reactions: Trevor Pleco
What exactly is it doing differently?
when flying around boats when I am transitioning from the side to the front of a boat going over 15MPH. The Mavic 3 is an extreme safety hazard if you are in normal mode, especially when the speeds go over 20MPH. So the only option is sports mode. The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom is a dream to fly around boats in normal mode as I can get nice and low and close. Nobody takes better video of boat's than I do! Nobody! so I know what I am talking about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes