DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble Removing Filters

noosaguy

Reactions
I bought a set of ND & ND/PL filters for my M2P from Freewell and I've been less than happy with them.
They work fine and do what they're supposed to but I find putting them on and ESPECIALLY removing them is very, very difficult.
Is anyone else having this trouble with other brands?
Cheers.

I bought a set of ND & ND/PL filters for my M2P from Freewell and I've been less than happy with them.
They work fine and do what they're supposed to but I find putting them on and ESPECIALLY removing them is very, very difficult.
Cheers.
I have filters from PGYTECH and don't have any problems set and remove.

Reactions: noosaguy
hahahahaha,haven't heard that in a while,let me know if you want the 3d plan

It wouldn't hurt to have the plan and perhaps even the company that produced it thanks mate. I just don't get it... Obviously it's made it easy for you?
I've watched Freewell's video and they easily go on and off. I've used filters 4 times and twice they've seemed almost impossible to get off. I'm worried about damaging the gimbal.

Cheers.
I have filters from Fstop Labs and Skyreat. Both can be changed very easily.

Sometimes less expensive is not the way to go.

I have filters from Fstop Labs and Skyreat. Both can be changed very easily.

Sometimes less expensive is not the way to go.

To be honest I didn't buy the Freewell filters on price so much... they really looked the goods I thought. Hasn't turned out that way unfortunately because I'm so worried about damaging the gimbal I won't use them now.

The bloke at Freewell customer service is very good and a nice bloke and very responsive to issues. He claims the problem is a 'user issue' and that I'm not doing it correctly.
Maybe so but I can get the Hasselblad (DJI) filter on and off every time with no problems and that's not the case with the Freewell's.

Not only that, without knowing what the removal tool looks like I'm not sure it will even work on the filters because Freewell have added a knurled base to the filter to try and enable you to get a firm grip when putting on or off. I've found it of little help.
I've approached them for a refund so I'll soon find out who I'm dealing with.

Last edited:
When I first tried to remove the UV filter I didn't want to force it so I stopped and found articles / video on how-to.
Here are some links on how-to and links to tools. Holding the camera firm is critical. Otherwise you might have to ring up @Thunderdrones

Skyreat - Mavic 2 pro filters removal/changing tools!

-Having Trouble Changing Filters? Try this... - trying these

Easier ND Filter Swap Hack

-How to change filters on the M2P

Tool to change M2P filter / lens cover, removal

M2P filter removal tool – check Amazon

Reactions: Former Member
To be honest I didn't buy the Freewell filters on price so much... they really looked the goods I thought. Hasn't turned out that way unfortunately because I'm so worried about damaging the gimbal I won't use them now.

The bloke at Freewell customer service is very good and a nice bloke and very responsive to issues. He claims the problem is a 'user issue' and that I'm not doing it correctly.
Maybe so but I can get the Hasselblad (DJI) filter on and off every time with no problems and that's not the case with the Freewell's.

Not only that, without knowing what the removal tool looks like I'm not sure it will even work on the filters because Freewell have added a knurled base to the filter to try and enable you to get a firm grip when putting on or off. I've found it of little help.
I've approached them for a refund so I'll soon find out who I'm dealing with.
This guy's response is b/s,,,everyone I know is struggling to change filters thus the removal tool.I also ended up with fingerprints all over my filters which I didn't notice till I was doing post editing,particularly those pre-dawn jobs.

Hey guys. First of all, those little finger protectors I recommended in my video save you from fingerprints. Second, all those inexpensive ND filters have problems of one kind or another. Just for "fun", I filed the cheap filter's pins to work better. They are almost all a couple thousands too wide causing the issues. Now they pop on and off just like the DJI brand filters. My analysis is that the anodizing got away from them at the factory.

If you don't want to mess with that, break out your wallets and pony up for the DJI or Polar Pro filters.I don't have the PPs but the DJIs are absolutely perfect. They're $100, not cheap but they fit and your gimbal guard still works.

I have the Skyreat filters. Only tried the ND16 so far because I just received my M2P. This one was very difficult to put on and was impossible to take off. The DJI glass was very easy to remove. Someone on RCGroups suggested a crescent wrench and it worked without any scratches to filter or camera.

Skyreat is sending me a removal tool but I am not sure it will get here before my 4 month trip.

I have the Skyreat filters. Only tried the ND16 so far because I just received my M2P. This one was very difficult to put on and was impossible to take off. The DJI glass was very easy to remove. Someone on RCGroups suggested a crescent wrench and it worked without any scratches to filter or camera.

Skyreat is sending me a removal tool but I am not sure it will get here before my 4 month trip.

They sent me two sets, one the gimbal guard wouldn't fit and the second had the same problem you have. I'd take a file to them bro, just knock off a small layer from the sides. When I mic'd them vs the original, they came out 3 or 4 thousandths too big. A fine flat file will fix them in a few passes each side.

I have FStop Labs. They work well.
However I always feel like I’m putting stress on the gimbal when I change filters. It’s just the way DJI designed it.

FStop Labs has been fantastic to deal with by the way. Very responsive and quality products.

Will the gimble guard fit on with the fstop filters Rastus? They look like good value filters

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan