DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK/EU flying rules - is the hobby still alive? CofC not worth it?

Heindrich1988

Reactions
I recently returned to the UK from China, where drone regulation is quite relaxed and public attitudes are generally positive. Finally got around to checking out the new EASA regulations, mostly via @Ian in London 's videos (thanks mate), in place since the start of the year. Immediate reaction... "Oh crap".

Unless I have missed something, I don't see how it's possible to fly compliant in Europe if you are not flying a Mini(2). My Air 2 is now a legacy drone over 250g, so it has instantly become an A3-only drone.

I got my Flyer ID and Operator ID, but as I understand, I can only fly in A2 conditions if I spend £100 on CofC training, and even then, my Air 2 will be relegated to A3 status at the start of 2023, so £100 for just a year.

I guess this post is mostly a frustrated vent. It's very annoying living opposite Durham Castle and finding out that there is no way I can legally fly my drone anywhere near it. But also, out of curiosity, what is the state of the hobby in Europe? The new regulations have surely been quite crippling? Fellow flyers in the UK, if you fly sensibly and carefully, are the rules being enforced?

Reactions: old man mavic
@Heindrich1988 you can still fly your present drone under the transitional period till the end of next year and then as you say it will become a legacy drone and can only be flown in the A3 class of the open category ,but if you wanted to, you could obtain your GVC which replaced the old PFCO certificate and then you could fly your Air2 in the specific category after the end of 2022
in order to fly a C class drone over 250g from the first of January 2023 in the open A2 category then you will need the A2 C of C anyway ,there are currently no C rated drones available yet and when they will become available ,is still to be seen
as far as the rules being enforced, then this will vary on how much the powers that be are interested in enforcing them ,the rules are law and are on the statute books ,so if you are caught breaching them ,then you can bet that the punishment for such breaches will make headlines
if you are being sensible and fly with regards to others then the chances of prosecution are very unlikely , but if you do stupid things and disregard the rules ,then you can not complain if they make an example of you to others, and dish out the maximum punishment possible
we are in this unfortunate situation, because of the few people who have no regard for the law ,and now we all have to suffer because of their actions,that get reported in the media , even if they are not always correctly reported ,people believe what is said

@Heindrich1988 you can still fly your present drone under the transitional period till the end of next year and then as you say it will become a legacy drone and can only be flown in the A3 class of the open category ,but if you wanted to, you could obtain your GVC which replaced the old PFCO certificate and then you could fly your Air2 in the specific category after the end of 2022
in order to fly a C class drone over 250g from the first of January 2023 in the open A2 category then you will need the A2 C of C anyway ,there are currently no C rated drones available yet and when they will become available ,is still to be seen
as far as the rules being enforced, then this will vary on how much the powers that be are interested in enforcing them ,the rules are law and are on the statute books ,so if you are caught breaching them ,then you can bet that the punishment for such breaches will make headlines
if you are being sensible and fly with regards to others then the chances of prosecution are very unlikely , but if you do stupid things and disregard the rules ,then you can not complain if they make an example of you to others, and dish out the maximum punishment possible
we are in this unfortunate situation, because of the few people who have no regard for the law ,and now we all have to suffer because of their actions,that get reported in the media , even if they are not always correctly reported ,people believe what is said

I just had a look at the GVC, it looks like it costs £350 (from UAVHub) and you still have to pay £253 to the CAA for Operational Authorisation to fly in Specific category.

I'm not a professional drone pilot with £thousand jobs lined up, nor flush with cash burning a hole in my pocket to spend £500+ on bureaucracy for a hobby. Sadly, my it looks like if I want to be 100% compliant, my Air 2 is basically relegated to flying in the middle of nowhere.

*sigh*, now I wish I waited a few months and got the Mini 2 instead. Sad times. :(

there are a lot of new under 250g drones coming on to the market now simply so as to enable them to be flown within the new rules and regs ,and i am sure that DJI and other drone manufacturers will be bringing out C rated drones in 2022 that are heavier than 250g, because they will forgo a large part of their sales base if the don't

I recently returned to the UK from China, where drone regulation is quite relaxed and public attitudes are generally positive. Finally got around to checking out the new EASA regulations, mostly via @Ian in London 's videos (thanks mate), in place since the start of the year. Immediate reaction... "Oh crap".

Unless I have missed something, I don't see how it's possible to fly compliant in Europe if you are not flying a Mini(2). My Air 2 is now a legacy drone over 250g, so it has instantly become an A3-only drone.

I got my Flyer ID and Operator ID, but as I understand, I can only fly in A2 conditions if I spend £100 on CofC training, and even then, my Air 2 will be relegated to A3 status at the start of 2023, so £100 for just a year.

I guess this post is mostly a frustrated vent. It's very annoying living opposite Durham Castle and finding out that there is no way I can legally fly my drone anywhere near it. But also, out of curiosity, what is the state of the hobby in Europe? The new regulations have surely been quite

crippling? Fellow flyers in the UK, if you fly sensibly and carefully, are the rules being enforced?

@Heindrich1988 you can still fly your present drone under the transitional period till the end of next year and then as you say it will become a legacy drone and can only be flown in the A3 class of the open category ,but if you wanted to, you could obtain your GVC which replaced the old PFCO certificate and then you could fly your Air2 in the specific category after the end of 2022.

This is confusing me again.
According to all the reading I have done you need to have passed your A2CofC if you wish to fly in the A2 category with anything over 250g right now in the transitional period?
After that it's A3 unless you pass what you suggested.

@ashyt16 the two year transitional period that ends in 2022 was done to allow time for the C rated drones to become available ,and it allowed the heavier mavics to be flown ,in the transitional period ,in the A2 subcategory of the open category ,with as you say the A2 C of C certificate in place
this is why i chose to do my A2 C of C so i could enjoy my MPP for longer

Reactions: Baq Paq Jaq
@ashyt16 the two year transitional period that ends in 2022 was done to allow time for the C rated drones to become available ,and it allowed the heavier mavics to be flown ,in the transitional period ,in the A2 subcategory of the open category ,with as you say the A2 C of C certificate in place
Understood, it's just that your reply seemed to infer that it could be flown without the A2CofC in A2 in the transitional period.

Reactions: old man mavic
Ian in London’s YT vids are excellent and his one which covers A2 C of C etc is to the point and very well presented. You can fly without A2C of C until the end of next year as I understand it but if over the weight limit, only in A3 areas. As always fly with care and regard for others. The Drone Code here is very clear, we are a small country size-wise and there are lots of people around so it aims to keep them safe. Not sure if I’ve added anything but I second your frustration. I live in a big City and finding somewhere to fly that is interesting and photogenic is a challenge.

Reactions: Heindrich1988
I'm lucky I live in Cumbria and surrounded by nothing, but acres of open fields, hills, fells, bays and coastline.
I often fly just in front of my house as there is fields as far as the eye can see and also not far away a massive golf course.

If anyone is near I suggest coming up because there's so many places to fly.

Reactions: twickers14
there are a lot of new under 250g drones coming on to the market now simply so as to enable them to be flown within the new rules and regs ,and i am sure that DJI and other drone manufacturers will be bringing out C rated drones in 2022 that are heavier than 250g, because they will forgo a large part of their sales base if the don't
With more sub 250g drones coming onto the market, how long do you think it will be before the legislation is changed yet again So that it will require <150g to fly in this category. I think the government either wants the hobby closed or to make more money from it. No licence required for a dog that can do a lot more damage than a drone.

Ian in London’s YT vids are excellent and his one which covers A2 C of C etc is to the point and very well presented. You can fly without A2C of C until the end of next year as I understand it but if over the weight limit, only in A3 areas. As always fly with care and regard for others. The Drone Code here is very clear, we are a small country size-wise and there are lots of people around so it aims to keep them safe. Not sure if I’ve added anything but I second your frustration. I live in a big City and finding somewhere to fly that is interesting and photogenic is a challenge.

Yeah, his videos were very good. I got 39/40 in my Flyer ID registration test after just watching his videos and briefly scanning through the written guidelines.

I've been agonizing over what to do with my Air 2. If I sold it, I could buy a new Mini 2 and have a little change left over, but I'd basically be swapping a superior drone for an inferior drone (albeit new) purely to comply with regulation that may change again in the future the moment some idiot flies a Mini 2 into a member of public and causes injury or property damage.

The Mini 2 is fantastic, but I still want to stick with my Air 2 for countryside flights. But it really sucks to not being able to fly in towns and cities, especially when I'm currently living in a beautiful historic city with lots of interesting architecture.

Reactions: twickers14
I'm lucky I live in Cumbria and surrounded by nothing, but acres of open fields, hills, fells, bays and coastline.
I often fly just in front of my house as there is fields as far as the eye can see and also not far away a massive golf course.

If anyone is near I suggest coming up because there's so many places to fly.

I'm not all that far from you (Durham) and there are some nice rural places to fly near here too, but sadly I don't have a car right now, which is making these new regulations all the more frustrating, since it's very hard for me to actually reach anywhere that's A3 compliant.

It is not the size that people complain of it is the camera on the drone and privacy that is their problem. I do not have an answer to this dilemma. Except that I never stay too long in one spot. I would buy a Mavic 3 because I like the latest new things!

I'm not all that far from you (Durham) and there are some nice rural places to fly near here too, but sadly I don't have a car right now, which is making these new regulations all the more frustrating, since it's very hard for me to actually reach anywhere that's A3 compliant.
That's a shame, it's a bummer when you can't get anywhere.
I don't normally upload videos, thought I'd upload this one I made of the view in front of my house where I live.
Apologies as I'm not the greatest cinematic movie maker or the best editor.
Please change the player quality to 720p if not already. Don't know why it defaults to 360p?
Also please excuse the Homer Simpson PJ bottoms at the end lol.

It is not the size that people complain of it is the camera on the drone and privacy that is their problem. I do not have an answer to this dilemma. Except that I never stay too long in one spot. I would buy a Mavic 3 because I like the latest new things!

I don't understand why people are so touchy about drones being flown responsibly in the West. In China, I literally flew my Air 2 in the centre of a city of 10+million people and nobody cared. The vast majority of interactions with members of the public are positive. The only time I faced any trouble was in Hainan, which is probably due to its political sensitivity (lots of military bases on the island) with regards to the South China Sea dispute, even there, I was able to fly in Sanya city with a bit of care.

Unless you are growing illegal stuff in your garden, what harm can an overhead camera do you? (Assuming you're not just covering at low altitude.)

Oh yeah, I'd love a Mavic 3, but it's way beyond budget and faces the same regulatory problems as my Air 2.

That's a shame, it's a bummer when you can't get anywhere.
I don't normally upload videos, thought I'd upload this one I made of the view in front of my house where I live.
Apologies as I'm not the greatest cinematic movie maker or the best editor.
Please change the player quality to 720p if not already. Don't know why it defaults to 360p?
Also please excuse the Homer Simpson PJ bottoms at the end lol.

You do live in a lovely location for drones! Hopefully I'll get a car soon-ish, I really want to go to the Lake District with my Air 2.

Hi, I have a MMP, and hearing it will be a "Legacy Drone" in Jan 2023. I have A1/A3 and am registered in EU as I live in Spain. I'm interested in your comment about A2 c of c to enjoy your MPP for longer... does this mean with an A2 c of c, I can fly it after 2022? Yes, I am thoroughly confused by it all, so any straightforward advice is really appreciated! Thanks Jackie

@Baq Paq Jaq i cant really comment on the specific rules in Spain,what i meant by longer with regards to my MPP is that with the A2 C of C it means i can still fly it ,as if it were an A2 ,till January 2023,without the A2 Cof C it would have to be flown in the A3 category from the start of 2021 ,it will only be able to be flown in the A3 category from January 2023 in the open category
and the other reason for having an A2 C of C is because without it then you wont be able to fly a C rated drone in the A2 category ,with all the benefits that affords with regards to separation distances, unless you have an A2 C of C after the end of 2022

Reactions: Baq Paq Jaq

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga