DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK/Europe - No ADS-B support ?

Did I see something about manned aircraft not turning on ADS-B until a certain altitude?
I'm not sure about that, but I have seen some info about ADS- B not being used by military and police - both who fly low level.

Yes. In the area where I use to fly my drones legally under 150m, some airplanes and helicopters use to fly illegally under 150m :). I guess it's for training purposes. But according to the legal maps published by the french autorities, it's illegal. Doesn't mean that they have ADS-OUT, but it could help.
and I'm 100% sure it's not police nor army

Yes. In the area where I use to fly my drones legally under 150m, some airplanes and helicopters use to fly illegally under 150m :). I guess it's for training purposes. But according to the legal maps published by the french autorities, it's illegal. Doesn't mean that they have ADS-OUT, but it could help.

Neither of which you want to encounter.

In the US, helicopters can fly pretty much at any altitude, so ADS-B will be very useful here to help avoid that traffic.

Reactions: swooshdave
I was planning to use stackry or similar forwarder, but purchase from DJI.

I am actually an Aussie, currently living in the UK, so would rather have airsense capabilities, than not (and it's cheaper, incl shipping to get the US version vs the UK version).

Any thoughts on using a forwarder, that I should consider?
I was also thinking of shipping U.S version. However, I’m worried there might be a frequency issue like the mini. For example us mini only works of 5ghz so can only fly 500m in U.K.

Would this be an issue with ocusync? Can anyone advise?

I was also thinking of shipping U.S version. However, I’m worried there might be a frequency issue like the mini. For example us mini only works of 5ghz so can only fly 500m in U.K.

No, in terms of transmission there should be no issue, the hardware is the same. There is just a switch of power depending on your GPS position.
The difference of hardware between US and other countries concerns just the ADS-B PCB, which is missing outside US (at least for the moment)

if you fly your drone without breaking the rules you don't need ADS-B
that's true - I guess I'd rather have a feature set that 90% of all Mavic Air 2s will have (rather than look back in two years thinking, "if I had waited").

Taking their comms at face value, this is purely a logistics issue - and they will phase in ADS-B for the next run - which makes me wonder - why not delay the European launch, rather than manage the software variance for what will become .

My answer would be no. After all that would mean a lot of US customers would find their expensive drones useless when they visit UK/Europe!

Also Occusync 2.0 is the main reason I’m buying this. Mavic Air was useless as soon as you tried to circle a building...

Reactions: Neel194
that's true - I guess I'd rather have a feature set that 90% of all Mavic Air 2s will have (rather than look back in two years thinking, "if I had waited").

Taking their comms at face value, this is purely a logistics issue - and they will phase in ADS-B for the next run - which makes me wonder - why not delay the European launch, rather than manage the software variance for what will become .

My answer would be no. After all that would mean a lot of US customers would find their expensive drones useless when they visit UK/Europe!

Also Occusync 2.0 is the main reason I’m buying this. Mavic Air was useless as soon as you tried to circle a building...

The number of US MA2 owners who would travel to Europe and take their drone is minuscule when you look at raw numbers.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
That's exactly the problem: in Europe, ADSB-B is only mandatory (from June 2020) for all aircrafts with a weight > 5.7t and max speed > 250 knots. Depending on what kind of planes you encountered - the small ones (under 5.7t, 250 knots vmax) won't have ADS-B anyway.

And I just did another test looking at "flightradar24.com: I tried spotting small aircrafts (private machines, 4-6 person in size): very few are visible, and if they are visible, they don't use ADS-B, most of them I spotted there use MLAT - another technology, which a MA 2 equipped with ADS-B won't sense :(

So my take on that: in Europe, small aircrafts which we might encounter, won't be visible even with an ADS-B receiver, and bigger aircrafts most of the time don't fly so low that they may "invade" our drone airspace.

For the U.S. it is a different story, just found this article:

at the end you can read an interesting statement:

Why will it do the "most good" in the US? "In Europe, there aren’t so many manned aircraft under the permitted 400ft for drone users. In the US, however, this is a completely different story," the DJI spokesperson explained. A big reason for this is the large number of agricultural pilots operating in the US. As Andrew Moore, Executive Director at the National Agricultural Aviation Association in the US, said: "The aerial application industry has over 3,500 agricultural pilots that help farmers grow over 28 percent of our nation’s commercial cropland. They are flying 10 feet off the ground at speeds of over 100 miles per hour.

So yes - makes absolutely sense for the U.S.: nobody wants to "get in contact" with an aircraft flying 100 miles per hour 10 feet above the ground,

As soon as Europe will make ADSB-out mandatory for ALL aircrafts, a MA 2 with ADS-B makes sense.

So has anyone ordered the u.s version and had it shipped outside the u.s?
I think drone nerds may ship internationally

I'm stiil undecided if its worth ordering this model or just order locally and don't bother with the airsense????

The import costs to the UK added an extra £230 onto the cost...

• Wow
Reactions: dawgpilot
Does anyone have any info about when the ADS-B version will be available in Europe? Seems pretty low of Dji to ask the same price for the drone which has the receiver and the one who doesn't.

ADS-B ok i dont have it on my EU drone, but hey if u think about it im better off without it..

and here is why..

it doesnt serve much at all that warning, i mean if u maintain all regulations your good.... and 2nd and the most important of all,

dont u think that little device scanning ADS-B will run without taking extra energy out of your batteries? offcourse it does!!!

not even to mention the CPU resources it will take of your drone while flying

in other words it will drain your batteries faster when u have the US drone which have ADS-B on board..

so actually yes im glad its not implemented in my EU drone if u think about it from that angle. im i wrong or? i dont think so.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
so actually yes im glad its not implemented in my EU drone if u think about it from that angle. im i wrong or? i dont think so.
Are you also glad you paid for something you did not receive? lol

Theoretically even the sd card you put in will consume power, but nobody will run the drone on the internal memory alone, right? This seems like the story with the fox and the sour grapes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423