DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK/Europe - No ADS-B support ?

Airsense works only as ADS-B receiver.
The main reason to wait is because I don't want to pay more for a missing feature

In this case, DJI is ripping off the Europeans! It is really bad. I think they will not install that features.

Maybe you can point me where to find that "legacy aircraft" and .". operated in A2 until 30 JUN 2022".?

From your linked document, it states for the open category (Article 4):

1. the UAS belongs to one of the classes set out in Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 or is privately built or meets the conditions defined in Article 20;

and Article 20:

UAS types within the meaning of Decision No 768/2008/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council2, which do not comply with Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and which are not privately- built are allowed to continue to be operated under the following conditions, when they have been placed on the market before 1 July 2022:

1. (a) in subcategory A1 as defined in Part A of the Annex, provided that the unmanned aircraft has a maximum take-off mass of less than 250 g, including its payload;
  2. (b) in subcategory A3 as defined in Part A of the Annex, provided that the unmanned aircraft has a maximum take-off mass of less than 25 kg, including its fuel and payload.

I'm not a lawyer, but to me this sounds as 800g aircrafts have to be operated in class A3 already from next year on, as soon as the new EU regulations are in place?:eek:

There is also an Article 22 - it’s a 2 year solution:

Transitional provisions
Without prejudice to Article 20, the use of UAS in the ‘open’ category which do not comply with the requirements of Parts 1 to 5 of the Annex to Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 shall be allowed for a transitional period of two years starting one year after the date of entry into force of this Regulation, subject to the following conditions:
(a) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of less than 500 g are operated within the operational requirements set out in points UAS.OPEN.020(1) of Part A of the Annex by a remote pilot having competency level defined by the Member State concerned;
(b) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of less than 2 kg is operated by keeping a minimum horizontal distance of 50 meters from people and the remote pilots have a competency level at least equivalent to the one set out in point UAS.OPEN.030(2) of Part A of the Annex;
(c) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of more than 2 kg and less than 25kg is operated within the operational requirements set out in point UAS.OPEN.040(1) and (2) and the remote pilots have a competency level at least equivalent to the one set out in point UAS.OPEN.020(4)(b) of Part A of the Annex.

Sad thing about the MA2 is the weight of 560 grams. So it is exceeding the limit for a by 60 grams

Thanks for pointing to that!

Yes, so I think the missing C - class classification is by far much more important to us than the missing ADS-B functionality.

In practise - as a hobbiest - I personally would not be too much affected flying in categorie A2 or A3: here in Germany there are too many "drone haters" already, so I normally take my bike and go out to the country side for flying - just to avoid any discussions (and even there if people are stopping in the open field I still get annoying questions: "has this thing a camera"? I normally answer: "yes I'm filming the green grass and the cows")

• Haha
Reactions: TDZHDTV

Yes, so I think the missing C - class classification is by far much more important to us than the missing ADS-B functionality.

In practise - as a hobbiest - I personally would not be too much affected flying in categorie A2 or A3: here in Germany there are too many "drone haters" already, so I normally take my bike and go out to the country side for flying - just to avoid any discussions (and even there if people are stopping in the open field I still get annoying questions: "has this thing a camera"? I normally answer: "yes I'm filming the green grass and the cows")

Filming the green grass LOL

"No camera sir, just a gun"

Are there any issues ordering a Mavic 2 Air from the USA?

There is also an Article 22 - it’s a 2 year solution:

Transitional provisions
Without prejudice to Article 20, the use of UAS in the ‘open’ category which do not comply with the requirements of Parts 1 to 5 of the Annex to Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 shall be allowed for a transitional period of two years starting one year after the date of entry into force of this Regulation, subject to the following conditions:
(a) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of less than 500 g are operated within the operational requirements set out in points UAS.OPEN.020(1) of Part A of the Annex by a remote pilot having competency level defined by the Member State concerned;
(b) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of less than 2 kg is operated by keeping a minimum horizontal distance of 50 meters from people and the remote pilots have a competency level at least equivalent to the one set out in point UAS.OPEN.030(2) of Part A of the Annex;
(c) unmanned aircraft with a maximum take-off mass of more than 2 kg and less than 25kg is operated within the operational requirements set out in point UAS.OPEN.040(1) and (2) and the remote pilots have a competency level at least equivalent to the one set out in point UAS.OPEN.020(4)(b) of Part A of the Annex.

Sad thing about the MA2 is the weight of 560 grams. So it is exceeding the limit for a by 60 grams
Just one more question here: so for Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro and others, this means we are flying in catagory A2 for 2 years - but therefor you need:

- an online training and exam (which you already need for Category A1)
- theoretical test (which probably cost around EUR 300,-)

Or in other words - pay around EUR 1000,- for a new Mavic Air 2, and additional EUR 300,- for flying in category A2 for two years :eek:.. and after that fly in category A3 where you don't need the extra exam anyway..

So the big question now for us "hobby flyers": if we stick to the rules as described in the A3 categories from next year on - do we still have to take (and pay for) the theoretical exam (in case we want to fly in category A2)?

If sticking to A3 category would save me EUR 300,- .. happy to fly 150m away from build up area (which I do already today)..

Do you know any seller in Europe who sells FCC mode DJI Drones? A seller from aliexpress (China) told me that they can send FCC mode drone, however, it will not pass from the duty I am sure. Thanks

Do you know any seller in Europe who sells FCC mode DJI Drones? A seller from aliexpress (China) told me that they can send FCC mode drone, however, it will not pass from the duty I am sure. Thanks

There's no difference in the drone itself that DJI sells. The drone will support both FCC and CE, but will switch into the appropriate mode based on the region its in. Move the drone somewhere else, and the mode automatically adjusts.

Previously, there were some "work-arounds" that may or may not work on the Air 2.

Reactions: Attorney58
Just one more question here: so for Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro and others, this means we are flying in catagory A2 for 2 years - but therefor you need:

- an online training and exam (which you already need for Category A1)
- theoretical test (which probably cost around EUR 300,-)

Or in other words - pay around EUR 1000,- for a new Mavic Air 2, and additional EUR 300,- for flying in category A2 for two years :eek:.. and after that fly in category A3 where you don't need the extra exam anyway..

So the big question now for us "hobby flyers": if we stick to the rules as described in the A3 categories from next year on - do we still have to take (and pay for) the theoretical exam (in case we want to fly in category A2)?

If sticking to A3 category would save me EUR 300,- .. happy to fly 150m away from build up area (which I do already today)..
If you fly your 'Legacy' drone (i.e. one that has not been manufactured to EASA spec's and marked with the EASA Class logo), after 1st November 2020, then you'll still need (here in the UK) a CAA Operator's registration (if over 250g) number, and Flyer registration - so will need to pay the £9 annually for that - but no further payments or qualifications will be required to fly under 'Open Class' sub-category A3.
Note that after 1st November - we are flying our Legacy drones in the 'Open Class' - sub-category A3 ... Even though the Drones you mention are in the C2 Class weight - they can never be classified as such and the rules state - 'no retrospective classifications will be applied'.
The low-speed mode required to operate full sub-category A2, is speed limited to 3 m/sec. I'm not sure what the Mavic 2 Pro Tripod mode limits to, but the Mavic Air 2 limits to 5 m/sec. So this means that all the A2 CofC qualification will get you is a 2-year dispensation to get up to 30 metres from people.

Reactions: Benmavicpilot
The reality is buying a drone has a certain risk that governmental regulations could come in and make them obsolete. I just learned about the drone laws in India. ?

You may not be able to find a retailer (Tier 1) that will ship to you.
I was planning to use stackry or similar forwarder, but purchase from DJI.

I am actually an Aussie, currently living in the UK, so would rather have airsense capabilities, than not (and it's cheaper, incl shipping to get the US version vs the UK version).

Any thoughts on using a forwarder, that I should consider?

Reactions: RuralQuad
I was planning to use stackry or similar forwarder, but purchase from DJI.

I am actually an Aussie, currently living in the UK, so would rather have airsense capabilities, than not (and it's cheaper, incl shipping to get the US version vs the UK version).

Any thoughts on using a forwarder, that I should consider?

There can be issues shipping the drone's LiPo batteries. (especially via air freight)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR