DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to properly co-ordinate with heliport. What's the protocol?

Keisersozze

Reactions
I recently had a strange occurrence where I was unable to get a hold off the person in charge of a heliport at a hospital. I talked to several people at the hospital such as security, maintenance etc and no one was able to give me the correct contact info. I finally after about 1 hour was able to get a number but no one answered and no one ever called me back after leaving a message. I have done heliport coordinations before and never had I such an issue. I was always able to coordinate within 5 minutes. I left my contact info and my planned time of flight with those I spoke with at the hospital. I have an advanced drone pilots licence. Is there a protocol for such a situation when the hospital and or heliport is not co-operating?

According to the latest AIM document, 'aerodrome operators cannot forbid the use of airspace surrounding a registered or certified aerodrome, airspace access is regulated through the CARs, and any aircraft and pilot meeting the requirements therein could use the airspace'.

Edit: I contacted NAV drone support Canada. They were also unable to fully answer the question and recommend I contact the regulator, Transport Canada.

Last edited:
Am not up on the rules in America as I live overseas, but seems that if they didn't answer, I would call the local Air Traffic Controller's office to inform them about the flight(s) and approximate location, so they can act accordingly.

Mark Lent

Am not up on the rules in America as I live overseas, but seems that if they didn't answer, I would call the local Air Traffic Controller's office to inform them about the flight(s) and approximate location, so they can act accordingly.

Mark Lent
Air Traffic Controller for the hospital helipad? That doesn't exists. Assuming you mean any nearby ATC? This is not required when flying near a Heliport, there also isn't an ATC anywhere near by so it would be pointless and if there was they don't want to hear from drone pilots unless it's an emergency, in Canada anyway. So in short yes I need someone familiar with Canadian rules to answer this. Or maybe even someone who had this happen as there likely isn't rules for this type of situation. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Is it controlled airspace though ?
Heliports probably not, but might be restricted ?

Here in Australia, almost all heliports are not restricted in any way, you just have to land asap if ou become awae of any aircraft in the vicinity.
I'm wondering if it's similar in Canada (or the US).

You have a job to do in the airspace ?

Perhaps a call to a nearby T.C. office or Nav Canada office would get you some clarification on this matter.
Good luck with your inquiry.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is it controlled airspace though ?
Heliports probably not, but might be restricted ?

Here in Australia, almost all heliports are not restricted in any way, you just have to land asap if ou become awae of any aircraft in the vicinity.
I'm wondering if it's similar in Canada (or the US).

You have a job to do in the airspace ?
It's not in controlled airspace. The regulations just say "co-ordinate flight with heliport" and as far as I know it's not restricted airspace, unless for example it's a military heliport which it's not. Yes it's for a job.

The procedure for controlled airspace is quite simple actually using a new government app.

Why is everyone but Canadians answering in the Canada forum haha?

Last edited:
  • Love
Perhaps a call to a nearby T.C. office or Nav Canada office would get you some clarification on this matter.
Good luck with your inquiry.
Yeah seems I will need to contact NAV Canada with this problem. I doubt anyone on this forum (Canadian) has had this issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve never been involved in this particular issue, but if the helipad is owned by the hospital, then they should be the controlling agency. Someone in administration at the hospital has to be responsible for the helipad.
(I’m from Canada 🤣)not that it helps in any way.

If it is a hospital Helipad then it should be marked on the Drone site selection tool. Right clicking on the Helipad on the map will give you some info. Here in Thunder Bay this is what I get. Looks like you might need the Canada Flight Supplement (CFS) to get more info.

screenshot-nrc.canada.ca-2021.11.23-12_36_58.png

I have the CFS. If you tell me which heliport you need info for I can screenshot that page and send it to you. Let me know.

I have the CFS. If you tell me which heliport you need info for I can screenshot that page and send it to you. Let me know.

If it is a hospital Helipad then it should be marked on the Drone site selection tool. Right clicking on the Helipad on the map will give you some info. Here in Thunder Bay this is what I get. Looks like you might need the Canada Flight Supplement (CFS) to get more info.

View attachment 138930
This doesn't help in my case when the person in charge of the helipad doesn't respond or get back to me as per my original post. To me it seems the hospital in unwilling to corporate, I think they might think they can deny permission when in fact they legally can not. Thanks anyway.

This doesn't help in my case when the person in charge of the helipad doesn't respond or get back to me as per my original post. To me it seems the hospital in unwilling to corporate, I think they might think they can deny permission when in fact they legally can not and should be co-ordinating instead of ignoring me. Thanks anyway.

The only flights coming and going from that heliport should be from Ornge air ambulance service. Find where they are stationed in that area and see if you can get some info from them that way.
Good luck.

Reactions: Keisersozze
I tried to find some info on the Facebook groups and found one guy who was having the same problem. Seems he ended up doing this.

"hi everyone: to follow up I have found that usually engineering is in charge of the heliport and if you call the main operator and ask to be connected to the manager of engineering or facilities you will usually get the correct person."

Hope this helps

I tried to find some info on the Facebook groups and found one guy who was having the same problem. Seems he ended up doing this.

"hi everyone: to follow up I have found that usually engineering is in charge of the heliport and if you call the main operator and ask to be connected to the manager of engineering or facilities you will usually get the correct person."

Hope this helps
Interesting. Thanks.

Air Traffic Controller for the hospital helipad? That doesn't exists. Assuming you mean any nearby ATC? This is not required when flying near a Heliport, there also isn't an ATC anywhere near by so it would be pointless and if there was they don't want to hear from drone pilots unless it's an emergency, in Canada anyway. So in short yes I need someone familiar with Canadian rules to answer this. Or maybe even someone who had this happen as there likely isn't rules for this type of situation. Thanks anyway.
Well, you didn't mention your country, so there's that. If a helicopter goes anywhere there will be regular air traffic control guiding it outside of the helipad. My suggestion was that if the people at the Helipad don't respond, maybe call the local flight control and give them all of your pertinent information- day, time, location and how long you will be in that airspace, giving them the information may provide them with the information needed to avoid having the helicopter vector into your immediate area. Just a suggestion though, but if I were close to this kind of environment, I would want anyone who might have a say to be well informed. Just me though.

Cordially,

Mark

Ya his location was not in the first post but since he posted in the Local and Regional Discussions Canada section I would say it was pretty much a given. LOL
I gave him pretty much the same suggestions. I mentioned since Ornge air ambulance service is the only company who will be flying in or out of a hospital Helipad at least here in Ontario Canada to give them a call to zero in on the right person to talk to.
Where I live there is a rural helipad in every township. None of them are marked. Its a night mare planning a flight sometimes.

Well, you didn't mention your country, so there's that. If a helicopter goes anywhere there will be regular air traffic control guiding it outside of the helipad. My suggestion was that if the people at the Helipad don't respond, maybe call the local flight control and give them all of your pertinent information- day, time, location and how long you will be in that airspace, giving them the information may provide them with the information needed to avoid having the helicopter vector into your immediate area. Just a suggestion though, but if I were close to this kind of environment, I would want anyone who might have a say to be well informed. Just me though.

Cordially,

Mark
This is posted in the Canada forum, thought it was obvious, but maybe it shows up somewhere else as well... According to NAV drone Canada (this is the organization that makes the drone app which needs to be used to fly in controlled airspace in Canada) I need to contact the regulator which in this case is Transport Canada, if there is anyone that might know the answer it will be them NAV Canada said. Maybe they will respond back but their email states that due to a high volume of correspondence they are unable to respond to every inquiry.

Last edited:
This is posted in the Canada forum, thought it was obvious, but maybe it shows up somewhere else as well... According to NAV drone Canada (this is the organization that makes the drone app which needs to be used to fly in controlled airspace in Canada) I need to contact the regulator which in this case is Transport Canada, if there is anyone that might know the answer it will be them NAV Canada said. Maybe they will respond back but their email states that due to a high volume of correspondence they are unable to respond to every inquiry.
Was in the "New Post", so does not really indicate the specific forums. Not so obvious. Anywaay, will let you figure this out. Good luck.

Mark

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78