DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

uncontrolled crash

There is something odd about the file you submitted. Did you open the .DAT in an editor and then save it as a .txt? If so, the procedure you want to use is to direct the File Manager to change the extension from a .DAT to a .txt.

Is this better? taken direct from my phone to my desktop and then file type altered by file manager

Attachments

• 18-09-03-03-21-42_FLY026.txt
    4.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 18-09-03-03-21-42_FLY026.txt
    4.7 MB · Views: 4

Attachments

• 18-09-03-03-58-24_FLY027.txt
    105.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 18-09-22-06-06-13_FLY030.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
hopefully these are better

Attachments

• 18-09-03-04-16-20_FLY029.txt
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Didn’t finish the update and skipped over some of it?
Was it firmware or software?
Not that it matters but that was probably a mistake You should reboot the AC if it updates before you fly. And you should restart the app if it updates. But I am thinking bad compass reading is the issue here. Sounds familiar

Pretty sure it wasnt firmware as it notifies you on the app when you connect that it needs to be done, im assuming it was a little software update of sorts - was a blue screen with little fireworks like icons moving around for a few seconds and then it was done

Is this better? taken direct from my phone to my desktop and then file type altered by file manager
Yes, that's better. I'm curious though. What procedure did you use for the first set of files?

BTW, when using something like WeTransfer it's not necessary to change the file extension.

Yes, that's better. I'm curious though. What procedure did you use for the first set of files?

BTW, when using something like WeTransfer it's not necessary to change the file extension.

First time i took them from my phone and tried to open them in notepad and them save them as txt from in there. If those ones are in the format people need I will upload them again individually for people to look at.

I appreciate the time and assistance from everyone on the matter as well - I am a complete newbie to drones (got it earlier this year) - I am a photographer usually and just wanted to add to my equipment/toys :)

Did you manage to open 18-09-22-06-06-13_FLY030.DAT?

OK - those were readable except for the one that probably matters, 18-09-22-06-06-13_FLY030.txt, if that was the only flight you made on 9/22.
That one requires Invalid DatHeader OK

1538190432420.png

that was my only flight on the day

so do i download the software to convert that?

Reactions: sar104
Maybe your persist file is corrupted. Try removing
<HomeDir>/.datCon

Same result. And without the "Invalid DatHeader OK" flag set it returns not a valid DAT file, but with that set it just seems to ignore the file and doesn't put any message at all in the log.

OK - thanks to @BudWalker's donation of the converted DAT file the answer seems pretty clear. The aircraft was launched without a GPS position lock, and so it was in ATTI mode once it lost vision positioning:

gps.png

After that it was at the mercy of stick inputs and wind currents. It crashed at 55.4 seconds, but there were no IMU problems:

pitch.png

and no compass problems:

yaw.png

Despite the lack of GPS positioning, the GPS velocity data appear credible. Integrating those with respect to time yields the following flight track:

track.png

Does that track seem consistent with the actual flight? Not that it changes anything, but I'm curious to know how accurate the GPS velocity data are.

So the system did not ask me to re-calibrate the compass before taking off despite never flying from this particularly location before.

Think of the river basically going east-west - took off from the platform under the restaurant facing north - flew north out from under the platform above the river and the drone swung up river towards the west a bit, i assumed it was the wind so turned it around myself and starting flying up wind to see how it would handle the breeze if i tried to film the on going festival. I walked out from under the platform and started walking down the walkway to have a better line of sight as it flew easterly up the river before it all went bad.. that is when i got the status change and it turned itself around and took off back into the restaurant

So the system did not ask me to re-calibrate the compass before taking off despite never flying from this particularly location before.
You don't need to recalibrate the compass to fly at different locations.
This incident had nothing to do with the compass.
You launched from a position where the Mavic's GPS receiver had it's skyview blocked and could not get any GPS position data.
Without GPS data, your drone is in atti mode, has no position holding ability and is at the mercy of the wind.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes.

If you go back to post #7 and follow the instructions, you'll get a display of the flight data in a form that you can understand.

Think of the river basically going east-west - took off from the platform under the restaurant facing north - flew north out from under the platform above the river and the drone swung up river towards the west a bit, i assumed it was the wind so turned it around myself and starting flying up wind to see how it would handle the breeze if i tried to film the on going festival. I walked out from under the platform and started walking down the walkway to have a better line of sight as it flew easterly up the river before it all went bad.. that is when i got the status change and it turned itself around and took off back into the restaurant

Based on the sparse GPS data, the flight looks like this:

screenshot214.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam the Slam