DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

under investigation

So what happens when I want to sell my drone ?
I'm not on here to find trying to find ways to beat the system. If I did something wrong I'll own it , but I would like to alert fellow flyers that just because you didn't crash it seems your flight logs can be requested by the authorities at any point .
Because this is in the news at the moment any complaint about drones is going to hyper analyzed.

Drone over Clonmel crash site ‘disrespectful’ to families and emergency workers

Reactions: Torque
Just for reference, the logs on the drone are not only encrypted, as has been mentioned, but they are of relatively short life span, old logs are over written. I think the most I have seen is 16 to 20 on a M2P, I don't remember if the mini's/FLY App drones provide a break down.
With regards to logs on a phone or controller etc. they can as has been mentioned be deleted and if they have not been synced or backed up that's them gone.

Why is there so much discussion of FAA rules and regs?

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out why this thread got derailed with unnecessary and unhelpful pedantry about Part 61 vs Part 107.
Because your opening line was "The ignorance in this thread is astounding" and you then proceeded to link to rules that don't apply to UAS pilots.

Wow, not sure how I missed out on this thread! So much has already been said, guess I don't have much to contribute at this point. Can't tell you which side I'm on because so many are all over the board and so much said that is just flat out wrong. Either way, the OP is not in America so I cannot advise him other than to say just remember you don't have any right so you may as well bend over. I've said it so so many times, if you vote for all these laws and/or you are ok with having all these laws on top of you and your hobby, don't be shocked when they end up working against you when you get thrown into the big leagues. After all, that's what they were designed for....the basically jam you up. Logbook? 🤣

For example, I always say the local law enforcement has no/limited authority, please drone community let's strike this from the list. Nobody listens. "They're fine, let them have it. We need them." Imagine if this case was about the state police and not a federal agency. You wouldn't stand a fair chance. :mad:

Ok let me clarify , I was reported by a Karen who took offence to a drone flying in her neighborhood.It was not a restricted no fly area and I observed the controlled airspace altitude limit of 30m I did not crash into anyone nor collide with anything or do anything reckless. I did nothing unsafe to deserve being reported . I have fully complied with all requests to date . Yes one of the flight logs might show me flying a bit beyond vlos . I know bvlos is a touchy subject here but flying BVLOS is like masturbation. 90% deny the ever do it and the other 10% are liars .

Oh ya , all proper logos and contact details.
Sounds like you are getting a sort of form letter asking you some things they need to fill out a report and nothing more they probably don't want to investigate the incident they just want to complete some paperwork.

Anyone one on here ever been asked to provide their flight logs to a aviation authority ?

Yes, a chap in New Zealand, quite a while ago.

That OP of that thread had a very long hiatus from the forum after that post, never did update it from memory.
He's been back in more recent times I have noticed, so might have survived the (NZ) CAA onslaught.

Reactions: Torque
Ok let me clarify , I was reported by a Karen who took offence to a drone flying in her neighborhood.It was not a restricted no fly area and I observed the controlled airspace altitude limit of 30m I did not crash into anyone nor collide with anything or do anything reckless. I did nothing unsafe to deserve being reported . I have fully complied with all requests to date . Yes one of the flight logs might show me flying a bit beyond vlos . I know bvlos is a touchy subject here but flying BVLOS is like masturbation. 90% deny the ever do it and the other 10% are liars .

Oh ya , all proper logos and contact details.

Surely on that basis, the UK CAA should give you a reason for wanting the logs ?
If they can just request them due to some probable frivolous report they received, and a little digging on YouTube, then they have more powers than the police !
If the airspace was ok to fly, then it's normally up to authorities to prove someone flew outside any 'rules'.
The person doing the reporting could have (of course) embellished the circumstances, but still . . .

That's an area well beyond my scope of knowledge. But I wouldn't assume it's never been litigated. It doesn't even have to be under the same act or regulations for a precedent to apply. There are many examples of exemptions to 4th amendment protections, especially where public safety is at stake, the penalties are not punitive or criminal in nature, and the activity regulated is something one voluntarily participates in.
I don't know if it counts as an "exemption," but yes, essentially you don't have a "right" to fly a plane. Congress would've delegated the rulemaking and enforcement of pilot licensing and all that to the FAA when it created the agency. And as part of its rules and responsibilities for pilots, the FAA can compel pilots to produce their logs (provided the FAA goes through the proper process outlined by Congress to promulgate such a rule). Basically, pilot licensing is a federal function and obtaining and using one comes with certain obligations that Congress can put in place (in this case via the FAA).

As of right now, the FAA doesn't require 107 pilots to keep logs, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't. It's also not clear to me whether or not the bits about having to produce your license and all that in Part 107 apply while you're not operating a UAS...you have to be "caught in the act," so to speak (I think).

I know of people, yes. At least the FAA.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Can you simply call the closest office, tell them you received the request, and simply ask them if there was a complaint or reported violation, or ask the reason for the request?

Reactions: AnzacJack
Let's keep this thread civil and on topic. Several posts have had to be removed.

Reactions: BigAl07
So much blissful ignorance and hubris proudly on display here. This is why IMHO this hobby is doomed. Expect more and more regulations, boys.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
How did they know who you were? Also, people in the US complain about the FAA but I don't think they have any authority to just demand UAS pilots produce things like flight logs without some sort of evidence of a violation (but I could be wrong).
you are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa