DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

I am pretty sure this is because you had not locked into GPS for your position to be known to DJI.

I kinda figure the same thing but then if that is the case, why did the little popup window tell me I was in a NFZ and I had to click the acknowledge checkbox to be able to fly. It definitely knew where it was. Maybe it was just being nice to me today!

December 26... DJI support still says firmware and app will be released by end of the month. I would not mind driving a bit to fly the drone but I live in South Florida and prez Trump is down here so half the state is in a blue zone lol. Just my luck.

First flight with my new Mini in a NFZ. Simply acknowledged responsibility and it flew no problems. It was indoors without GPS, ATTI mode only but it knew it was dead center of a Red Restricted NFZ (airport) and only asked me to acknowledge to fly. Not sure if the lack of GPS allowed it to fly or maybe they already fixed the software.

It was due to lack of GPS, because if you have GPS you will be marked as "GEO Zone". I tried to fly on December 24 in the blue zone and I do not leave in the geographical area, disappointing because the fireworks were beautiful. I think people should already press DJI, there are many people who have not been able to fly it since the drone came out and keep in mind that those drones are not cheap for these problems to come out, they had approximately 1 year to make a good drone and first What comes out is that they have to fix with firmwares, seriously disappointing, I expected the update to come out by 25, but no, I bet they will say they will delay the firmware output

Last edited:
December 26... DJI support still says firmware and app will be released by end of the month. I would not mind driving a bit to fly the drone but I live in South Florida and prez Trump is down here so half the state is in a blue zone lol. Just my luck.
Same here and he’s down here like every frigging weekend as well. Kinda sucks not even being able to fly in my yard when he’s down. Still waiting for the unlock. I actually think DJI might be trying to release the update fast, however they have to submit the app update to Apple and Google before they can push the update out. My best guess is that’s why it’s tied up.

What I think is that the priority of DJI is perhaps to collect all the failures that arose with all the people who gave them the drone at Christmas and collect the errors that have been reported and I am almost certain that in this update they will put some new things and Maybe it will improve the DJI FLY application, since it is very poorly optimized and admit more phones (I risk saying that information, since we know that the drone would not contain more things due to overheating), but if it is being very late in the areas geographical, I think it would have been easier to launch the drone for DJI GO 4 temporarily and then on DJI FLY.

What I think is that the priority of DJI is perhaps to collect all the failures that arose with all the people who gave them the drone at Christmas and collect the errors that have been reported and I am almost certain that in this update they will put some new things and Maybe it will improve the DJI FLY application, since it is very poorly optimized and admit more phones (I risk saying that information, since we know that the drone would not contain more things due to overheating), but if it is being very late in the areas geographical, I think it would have been easier to launch the drone for DJI GO 4 temporarily and then on DJI FLY.
Don't hold your breath, DJI is going to be swamped with returns for the next month or two, I for one have a defective transmitter, I though I had a defective drone, come to find out after many many tries, it was the transmitter not turning on, I had to restart it a dozen times before it really turned on, it would indicate that it was on, but it wasn't. hopefully I can get a replacement.

Reactions: Th3DroneroGT
I don't know. I think we hear complaints because people with positive things to say are less likely to post. I, for one, can say that I live outside of a NFZ and have flown quite a bit since I got my Mini on Christmas. It has exceeded my expectations. The battery lasts forever. The range blows away my MA, Spark and Anafi. It's been a real pleasure. I just cannot wait to see what improvements might come, particularly after folks like Litchi get their hands on the SDK. Also, after seeing yesterday's FAA proposed RID rules, it seems that DJI was way ahead of the curve on a sub 250 gram drone.

Reactions: tmiller
I don't know. I think we hear complaints because people with positive things to say are less likely to post. I, for one, can say that I live outside of a NFZ and have flown quite a bit since I got my Mini on Christmas. It has exceeded my expectations. The battery lasts forever. The range blows away my MA, Spark and Anafi. It's been a real pleasure. I just cannot wait to see what improvements might come, particularly after folks like Litchi get their hands on the SDK. Also, after seeing yesterday's FAA proposed RID rules, it seems that DJI was way ahead of the curve on a sub 250 gram drone.

I don't think people post to complain so much , as to post that they have a problem, and hope some one has a similar problem and may have a fix. plus (THE SQUICKY WHEEL IS THE ONE THAT GETS THE GREASE). if no one complains, DJI won't no there is a problem, and my never fix something if it's broke.
my nickles worth
happy new year

Reactions: Scottalmas
Not that DJI has been doing anything about the many firmware update complaints - other than sending out the same canned messages and vague empty promises to everyone...
They really dropped the ball on that one for sure... (Or they just don't want to admit that they have towait with the release due to some extra Christmas gifts from an almighty regulatory body...)

Not that DJI has been doing anything about the many firmware update complaints - other than sending out the same canned messages and vague empty promises to everyone...
They really dropped the ball on that one for sure... (Or they just don't want to admit that they have towait with the release due to some extra Christmas gifts from an almighty regulatory body...)
I agree I don’t understand why DJI released a product that does not allow unlock of NFZ. I’m a PM in a R&D facility, I can only image the order can from above (CEO) to release the product. I also know from experience that software validation is no simple task, let’s just hope they don’t drop the ball and also include some features to keep those of us happy that haven’t had any issues to date.

I agree I don’t understand why DJI released a product that does not allow unlock of NFZ. I’m a PM in a R&D facility, I can only image the order can from above (CEO) to release the product. I also know from experience that software validation is no simple task, let’s just hope they don’t drop the ball and also include some features to keep those of us happy that haven’t had any issues to date.

It boils down to money folks, they wanted to get this thing out before Christmas. Always was, always will be. Companies are in business to make money, without a profit, they wouldn't be in business. The CEOs always look at the bottom line, All companies operate like this, it's a balancing act, trying to make as many costumers happy, and make as much profit as possible. with out upsetting their customer base. "Most" customers will be happy (the drone is out before Christmas) and some will be unhappy (there were some problems) Question? if you were the head of a large company, what would you do? I"ll answer that for you, it's bottom line folks.

Your reasoning does make sense, of course.
But I have a question for you: Do you also have a semi-dead Mavic Mini sitting at home just because you live in a "No Fly Zone" forced on you by DJI (just like many of us who do)?

+1 in blue zone.. not many days left until famous end of december

I don't think people post to complain so much , as to post that they have a problem, and hope some one has a similar problem and may have a fix. plus (THE SQUICKY WHEEL IS THE ONE THAT GETS THE GREASE). if no one complains, DJI won't no there is a problem, and my never fix something if it's broke.
my nickles worth
happy new year
Exactly....... a few hundred complaints a day would get their attention

Your reasoning does make sense, of course.
But I have a question for you: Do you also have a semi-dead Mavic Mini sitting at home just because you live in a "No Fly Zone" forced on you by DJI (just like many of us who do)?

yep I do it's been setting there, but guess what, I took it out to my street in front of my house after Christmas, and it flew,
I also have Two DJI Sparks, two DJI p3 pro drones, I gave two DJI p2 drones to my son. my other drones will fly in the NFZs with the app that DJI has, plus they will fly with the litchi app that I'm sure DJI will give up "some day". Do I like it (NO), but I'll wait, DJI will up the fly app when they get it ready, "soon" I hope. am I'm flushed "yes". All good things come to those that have patience.
And "no" I don't feel forced, I knew what I what getting when I ordered the mini.

New to the forum, but I thought I'd add my experience with the DJI no fly zones. I live in Canada & get my zones directly from Transport Canada through a browser. It displays a map & no-fly zones for drones in Canada. I am completely in the clear where I live, however the DJI no fly zone shows up in the dji fly app & won't let me fly my Mavic Mini. With my Spark, I was able to tick the box & all was good. I hope that DJI either releases a patch or update (I'm sure it will come sometime), or adjust their no fly zone maps somehow.

robert2, well, I am one of the unfortunate ones who DID NOT know what I was going to get when I ordered the Mini as there was no information about the forced NFZ "feature", even though I tried to research things beforehand.
Besides, this is my very first and only drone since I am one of the plebs who cannot afford several drones - not even a more advanced one than the Mini is.
Otherwise I do agree with you. Let's just wait patiently and see - there is no other option, anyways.

New to the forum, but I thought I'd add my experience with the DJI no fly zones. I live in Canada & get my zones directly from Transport Canada through a browser. It displays a map & no-fly zones for drones in Canada. I am completely in the clear where I live, however the DJI no fly zone shows up in the dji fly app & won't let me fly my Mavic Mini. With my Spark, I was able to tick the box & all was good. I hope that DJI either releases a patch or update (I'm sure it will come sometime), or adjust their no fly zone maps somehow.

I am in the same boat Redmann. Clear from any Transport Canada restrictions but the DJI app does not let me fly with the app even in my own home. (Although I was able to try it with just the remote without the app, but that is way far from the real thing.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1