DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also register with Reclaim Drone. They have stickers (FAA reg and other info you designate and laminated pilot cards. The stickers have contact information for you and a URL to display the info you designate for your drone. Here’s mine for example;
4328C0DA-53DE-4740-9A80-49C78C6EA16A.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't see the point of this new rule. Supposedly for "safety" of first responders, etc. from a booby trapped drone, but really. Who seriously thinks that a criminal, terrorist, etc. is going to actually put self-identifying information on their drone ANYWHERE? Not that I personally care one way or the other, but this new rule is just plain stupid.
I agree!

I don't see the point of this new rule. Supposedly for "safety" of first responders, etc. from a booby trapped drone, but really. Who seriously thinks that a criminal, terrorist, etc. is going to actually put self-identifying information on their drone ANYWHERE? Not that I personally care one way or the other, but this new rule is just plain stupid.

But you've just proven the PURPOSE of this law. If there is an external Reg# on the aircraft then LEO can get the owner's information in a matter of minutes and verify the SAFETY of the sUAS.

If they happen upon a unit with NO markings they then can assume sinister motives and not handle/manipulate the aircraft until appropriate personnel are on scene.

Yes only the Good Guys follow the laws but just like missing license plates on a car will bring that vehicle into question a missing Reg# on a sUAS will be a reason to excercise additional caution.

But you've just proven the PURPOSE of this law. If there is an external Reg# on the aircraft then LEO can get the owner's information in a matter of minutes and verify the SAFETY of the sUAS.

If they happen upon a unit with NO markings they then can assume sinister motives and not handle/manipulate the aircraft until appropriate personnel are on scene.

Yes only the Good Guys follow the laws but just like missing license plates on a car will bring that vehicle into question a missing Reg# on a sUAS will be a reason to excercise additional caution.
...and there will always be the issue of a stolen or made up FAA number matching another (legitimate owner’s) number. However, flight logs in the authentic bird will prove the truth. That’s assuming the bird with the false number had it’s registration radioed or photo sent to distant receiver before it blew up. In order to work for LEO safety they would need to contact the owner of the number before getting close to or handling the drone.

That said it should create minimum inconvenience to the real owner while safeguarding life and limb of the officers involved. Just the state of the world we live in. Be upset with the criminal, not the FAA. I have 3 firemen and 2 LEOs among my children and want tbeir risks minimized!

I have no problems with external markings. I've marked mine with the registration number and my phone number externally since I first started flying.

I take issue with the reasoning the FAA gave for the rule change. "Concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a drone’s registration number."

A person using a drone for nefarious reasons isn't going to (knowingly) leave a paper trail back to themself. Secondly, if there's a concern about explosives, nobody's going near the thing and they're especially not opening compartments. They will send a robot and immobilize the device. That's what we were taught in the Marines and I'm sure law enforcement was as well.

A trick of insurgents (going back several armed conflicts), is to boobeytrap an item a person will interact with/let their guard down around. I guess a marked drone makes it safe.

The FAA could have just as easily made this rule change by saying externally mark your drone so we can quickly identify the owner. There's no reason to try and sell a nonsensical terrorism angle for a rule change.

I have no problems with external markings. I've marked mine with the registration number and my phone number externally since I first started flying.

I take issue with the reasoning the FAA gave for the rule change. "Concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a drone’s registration number."

A person using a drone for nefarious reasons isn't going to (knowingly) leave a paper trail back to themself. Secondly, if there's a concern about explosives, nobody's going near the thing and they're especially not opening compartments. They will send a robot and immobilize the device. That's what we were taught in the Marines and I'm sure law enforcement was as well.

A trick of insurgents (going back several armed conflicts), is to boobeytrap an item a person will interact with/let their guard down around. I guess a marked drone makes it safe.

The FAA could have just as easily made this rule change by saying externally mark your drone so we can quickly identify the owner. There's no reason to try and sell a nonsensical terrorism angle for a rule change.

Did you read my comment above?

No a crook isn't going to leave a paper trail (intentionally anyway) back to themselves but a drone with NO markings is suspect.... therefore handle with care and call the Bomb Squad to investigate.

Also, they used that wording (IMHO) partially to push it through more quickly/easily without having to wait on NPRM being involved.

Did you read my comment above?

No a crook isn't going to leave a paper trail (intentionally anyway) back to themselves but a drone with NO markings is suspect.... therefore handle with care and call the Bomb Squad to investigate.

Also, they used that wording (IMHO) partially to push it through more quickly/easily without having to wait on NPRM being involved.

Yes I read your comment above. Did you read mine?

The reasoning the FAA gave is not based on reality. You're not fitting an explosive device (which is the FAA's reasoning for the rule change) inside a battery compartment on consumer grade drones. It will be externally carried. In which case, you're not approaching the device. That's if there is a device left.

Whether a drone is marked or not doesn't determine the response. An unmarked drone hanging in the powerlines won't generate an aggressive response. However, a marked drone sitting unattended in Times Square will.

I realize I'm not going to change your opinion on this. Again, I'm not affected by the rule change either. I just don't like being bs'd by the government!

All 79 posts.. or just some of them? I guess no one can argue with that... since it's so general and incorrect. For example, my reasons are discussed above. They don't invalidate my argument.

It might be good for you to review all of the posts.

Yes I read your comment above. Did you read mine?

The reasoning the FAA gave is not based on reality. You're not fitting an explosive device (which is the FAA's reasoning for the rule change) inside a battery compartment on consumer grade drones. It will be externally carried. In which case, you're not approaching the device. That's if there is a device left.

Whether a drone is marked or not doesn't determine the response. An unmarked drone hanging in the powerlines won't generate an aggressive response. However, a marked drone sitting unattended in Times Square will.

I realize I'm not going to change your opinion on this. Again, I'm not affected by the rule change either. I just don't like being bs'd by the government!

Ask a First Responder what they think about it?

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000