DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB C to micro USB - anyone get working?

Nobbie

Reactions
So now am owner of note 8, and trying to work a way to prevent phone charging from the controller, via using the micro USB port.

I have successfully connected via the full size USB on the underside, but this charges phone (as we all know).

I brought a USB C to micro USB cable, which allows me to charge controller via phone, but seems no data is transferred. Anyone been able to get this connection working? The usb options on phone say charge device/midi /mtp transfer, but clicking on mtp transfer causes it to disconnect and reconnect back to charging device.

Yes developers mode is turned on.

Long story short, anyone been successful connecting from phone usb c type to micro USB.

I do have iPad mini I've used majority of times, but it's wifi only and doesn't have gps (so no follow me/dynamic home point).

So please refrain from just use apple comments :p

Thanks in advance.

use a zte zmaxx pro sometimes i use the cable the mavic came with.. the c to micro no problems besides the charging of the phone.

I have a Note 8 as well. I bought a Threeking Mavic pro & Spark Data Cable Remote Control Date Cable Micro USB to Type-C on Amazon and have had no problems.

Reactions: Gray_seagull
Yeah...I found that the micro USB to USB-C cables that say on Amazon they are supposed to work with the mavic controller, don't. The host end has to plug into the RC...and most of the micro USB to USB-C cables I've found have the USB-C side as the host end. I got it working with my Mate 9 by using my older micro-USB to micro-USB cable and plugging the host end into the RC, then getting an Anker Micro-USB to USB-C adapter for the phone end. So far so good...

LP

Reactions: Kilrah
Ok, so with those who have it working, does the controller still charge the phone? Guessing if the controller is the host, then this is still the case.

The reason I was trying the side port was simply to have the phone charge the controller. I did get it working using a different adapter, and have it working using the bottom port. It's a waste cause I brought a cable specifically for that use, but doesn't work. If indeed the special cables work but still charge the phone from the controller no point then.

Thanks for the responses.

I use USBC and yes it charges a device. But the extra 1-2% controller battery drain per flight is utterly insignificant as to not be worth bothering about. I dont think ive ever finished a day of flying with under 60% RC battery.

Reactions: jerryflah
I found the simplest solution it's just stick the phone usb-c into the underside standard USB. Then use a standard USB to micro USB side port to a power charger or a mp battery. If you have lots of battries almost unlimited power especially on a day trip with a car charger. Simple solution and works every time.

I can't see what is not ok with that? If you connect your rc to a powerbank or MP battery and it is giving juice to your phone then you are sweet?

I brought a USB C to micro USB cable, which allows me to charge controller via phone, but seems no data is transferred. Anyone been able to get this connection working? The usb options on phone say charge device/midi /mtp transfer, but clicking on mtp transfer causes it to disconnect and reconnect back to charging device.

Follow up to my response - specifically on this note. Yes, that's what I found as well. Since most of the micro USB to USB-C cables I found on Amazon are wired with the USB-C end as the host, exactly this happens. The phone charges the controller, but no data connection for flying...which is why I went the other way.

LP

As far as I am aware there are two kinds of cable the cheaper ones that are only able to charge and transmit data at a slow rate. The more expensive quality cables can charge rapidly and transmit date at a higher rate. Could be the historical usb 2.0 cheaper ones and the higher transfer 3.0 or 3.1 (C) usb kind. (Soon to be a 3.2) If you have the older ones it's best just to bin them and make sure you get the better quality ones. You can get very expensive heavy duty braided cables. I find them awkward and unnecessary. Samsung and other good manufacturers ship them with their products. Fast charging thinner cables are best. They are fast, light and don't get in the way. Osx and Osi also ship/sell only quality cables as do DJI. If you have a good usb standard (A) to usb micro (B) and need a C connector its cheaper to get the cute little converter.
Sorry to go on about stupid cables so much. But when you have issues you need to know it is not a cable issue, eliminates a factor to hunt down other solutions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato