DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use ND/PL filter to record movie in 30fps. But for pics the shutter speed is a bit too low.

elroy

Reactions
Using Mavic Air with Neewer ND/PL filters. The ND(16) makes it possible to record 1/60th on a sunny day. But this shutter speed is a bit too slow for pictures.
is it possible to use ND/PL4 for faster shutterspeed and to post-proces an output of 30fps or is the result different from native 30fps?

We also own a 5D MarkIII with a B+W pol filter. This gives much stronger polarization effect when adjusted. Is this due to the Mavic or is it just a quality difference between the filters?

But this shutter speed is a bit too slow for pictures.
Unless you particularly want to force a slow shutter speed, there is no reason to use ND filters when shooting stills with a drone.
You'd be better off avoiding them.
We also own a 5D MarkIII with a B+W pol filter. This gives much stronger polarization effect when adjusted. Is this due to the Mavic or is it just a quality difference between the filters?
Polarising filters are a nuisance to use with a drone because to use them properly, they would need realignment any time you change direction.

Yes for stills there is no need. But most of the time i want to shoot pics and film. I am afraid to put the filter on and off all the time. The gimbal is fragile. When using the 5D i hardly ever adjust the pol filter. I don't use the maximum and off course the angle to the sun determines the effect.

So apart from the pol. is also have just ND filters. But according to;

there is a negative affect processing to 30fps from 1/120th. I only have one try to shoot footage and pics. Anybody experience with this ?

Yes for stills there is no need. But most of the time i want to shoot pics and film. I am afraid to put the filter on and off all the time. The gimbal is fragile. When using the 5D i hardly ever adjust the pol filter. I don't use the maximum and off course the angle to the sun determines the effect.

So apart from the pol. is also have just ND filters. But according to;

there is a negative affect processing to 30fps from 1/120th. I only have one try to shoot footage and pics. Anybody experience with this ?

Shoot pictures in manual mode and increase your ISO which will force a higher shutter speed when shooting photos.

Increasing ISO isn't great for anyone wanting image quality.
Leaving a dark filter on isn't a good idea for stills.

Increasing ISO isn't great for anyone wanting image quality.
Leaving a dark filter on isn't a good idea for stills.

Going from 100 ISO to 200 ISO or even 400 ISO isn’t going to increase noise to a noticeable level. 800 ISO is generally when noise starts becoming a factor. Also noise is pretty easy to deal with in a photo if using a raw file.

Reactions: Rich55
Going from 100 ISO to 200 ISO or even 400 ISO isn’t going to increase noise to a noticeable level. 800 ISO is generally when noise starts becoming a factor. Also noise is pretty easy to deal with in a photo if using a raw file.
But having a 4 stop filter would necessitate increasing ISO from 100 to 1600.
It's not going to help his photography,

Reactions: kjcbid54
That's what I did raise ISO. Haven't seen footage yet. But I prefer low ISO.

But having a 4 stop filter would necessitate increasing ISO from 100 to 1600.
It's not going to help his photography,

Yea well somethings got to give. Either shutter speed or ISO or a combo of the two. Pretty straight forward really there’s no magic button to remove the filter mid air really. There has to be a compromise made to do what the OP wants.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980