DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of Drones at Colorado State Parks

My Colorado research has shown me that there is no broad regulations for the State parks. There can be local and county regs as I have discovered on the Parks and Rec website of certain municipalities.

I was referred to the State Parks rules and regulations brochure when I called Ridgway State Park this AM:
"AIRCRAFT 15. To land or take off with any type of aircraft on any Parks and Outdoor recreation lands and waters except as specifically authorized by these regulations or in case of emergency. “Aircraft” means any device or equipment that is used or intended to be used for manned flight or to otherwise hold humans aloft for any period of time, including powerless flight, and specifically includes, but is not limited to, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons, hang gliders, parachutes, parasails, kite boards, kite tubes, zip lines and other similar devices or equipment."

Since I am not planning to take a ride on my Mavic Pro, it is hard to understand why this applies.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: georgeannandale
I was referred to the State Parks rules and regulations brochure when I called Ridgway State Park this AM:
"AIRCRAFT 15. To land or take off with any type of aircraft on any Parks and Outdoor recreation lands and waters except as specifically authorized by these regulations or in case of emergency. “Aircraft” means any device or equipment that is used or intended to be used for manned flight or to otherwise hold humans aloft for any period of time, including powerless flight, and specifically includes, but is not limited to, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons, hang gliders, parachutes, parasails, kite boards, kite tubes, zip lines and other similar devices or equipment."

Since I am not planning to take a ride on my Mavic Pro, it is hard to understand why this applies.

I had the same question and found the section that refers to the Colorado Revised Statues. As you stated, they only address manned aircraft.

However, I recently watched a video of a guy flying his Mavic at Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge and got a $200 ticket delivered to his house by a Ranger (sorry I tried to find the site but no luck). Since it is now State Parks and Wildlife I would assume they are using the same rules.

Seems to me he might have some legal recourse to get the charge dropped. It would be nice to have some clarification on this issue.

Last edited:
I did find this in the 2016 State Park Land and Water Regulations brochure page 12:

"Models
G. It shall be unlawful to operate radio-controlled and/or fuel-propelled models, except in designated areas."

I also viewed the video you were referring to. Bummer for him.

Reactions: cgfriberg
Here is the video -

By the way there is a model aircraft aerodrome at Chatfield State Park.

Thanks for the video. Very interesting. Now I'm more interested in the story that he just barely touched on about his friend flying out in the middle of the CO wilderness and "someone" telling him that he can't fly there. If I'm not buzzing wildlife or flying around people, airports or sensitive areas (military, etc), then I really don't think I could take it if some a-hole told me I couldn't fly there.

I did some research into this years ago and again a couple years ago when I started flying drones.

Colorado State Parks ONLY allows Radio Controlled models in designated areas. This has been around for many years. I learned this over 10 years ago when I tried to launch an R/C boat in Cherry Creek Res. The Ranger was very polite and told me it was against State Park Rules to operate any R/C vehicle in a State Park unless in a designated area like the model airport.

I also owned an HPI Baja 5B rail. I was running it on the outskirts of the city in an open space area where I had many times before. Finally one time a Park Ranger stopped and talked to me. Said that ANY Park or Open Space Area that is managed by the State Park system falls under State Park rules which the below "quoted" rules apply. I mentioned there was nothing on the sign at entrance to the Open Space. He pointed out that on the sign it did say something to the affect that all State Park rules apply...

So you cannot legitimately fly a drone in a State Park or State managed-open space unless the area is designated as such. I've also found that some city parks and city managed opens space also do not allow R/C vehicles. I can't recall which park in Parker it was, but their sign mentioned "No Park Flyers", calling out the lipo motored airplanes...

I did find this in the 2016 State Park Land and Water Regulations brochure page 12:

"Models
G. It shall be unlawful to operate radio-controlled and/or fuel-propelled models, except in designated areas."

I also viewed the video you were referring to. Bummer for him.

I've flown in Rifle Gap State Park and the two rangers told me "drones" were not allowed in State Parks. They were fairly nice and I showed them my screen while I was up in the air. They let me fly for a few more minutes but told me that if I really wanted to fly over the lake, I could drive a mile down the street to BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land and take off from there.

I've flown several times at the lake, with a Phantom 3, but as long as I take off from BLM, they're fine.

So by those standards, for my benefit, I took it to mean that I can't take off from or land in State Parks, but can fly "over" State Parks.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
I had the same question and found the section that refers to the Colorado Revised Statues. As you stated, they only address manned aircraft.

However, I recently watched a video of a guy flying his Mavic at Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge and got a $200 ticket delivered to his house by a Ranger (sorry I tried to find the site but no luck). Since it is now State Parks and Wildlife I would assume they are using the same rules.

Seems to me he might have some legal recourse to get the charge dropped. It would be nice to have some clarification on this issue.

Yes, but note that the ticket was given for disturbing wildlife, not for breaking a drone flying regulation. And when you watch the video he's referring to, you see he does get up close to Bison and Deer. Close enough to make them stare and move, so in the eyes of some ranger, he was disturbing wildlife..... Shame as it was a great little video...
Ian

I know the National Parks are no fly zones but what about all the wilderness areas in CO? Is it safe to assume where people are four wheeling and MTN biking that the use of drones are okay too? I know the Congressional designated wilderness areas are off limits to drones, bicycles, snowmobiles and vehicles.

sent from mobile device

Yes, but note that the ticket was given for disturbing wildlife, not for breaking a drone flying regulation. And when you watch the video he's referring to, you see he does get up close to Bison and Deer. Close enough to make them stare and move, so in the eyes of some ranger, he was disturbing wildlife..... Shame as it was a great little video...
Ian
You are quite right but I think it was the water fowl that were disturbed, the Bison and Deer seem more curious than disturbed. With a simple search on the park's name they could have come up with far worse examples to emphasis there point.

I do think how he handled the situation was very good (there was a video of him explaining about the ticket) and should serve as an example. I does not serve the drone community well when people go into a rant and call agencies and there employees names on public media when they get called out for doing something like this.

On the other side of the coin I think agencies could do a little more, like post a temporary sign at the entrance stating that dones are prohibited. Looking at drone forums it's apparent that a LOT of people do not do due diligence when deciding where to fly.

I know the National Parks are no fly zones but what about all the wilderness areas in CO? Is it safe to assume where people are four wheeling and MTN biking that the use of drones are okay too? I know the Congressional designated wilderness areas are off limits to drones, bicycles, snowmobiles and vehicles.

sent from mobile device
The term "wilderness" gets used a lot in the forums and sometimes I think people consider it anyplace that you can't see a house and there is no McDonalds within 5 miles.

Stop at a Forest Service / BLM office that are scattered about and pick up a free map that shows all the different land use areas for the state and ask your questions there.

You are correct that Wilderness designated areas are off limits to motorized travel (including bicycles and drones) but people do disregard this at times so you would be better off knowing what is and isn't wilderness and acting appropriately.

I plan on using the law of common sense while keeping in mind the 'spirit' of these regulations. They are in place to protect people's experience at these sites, the wildlife and safety. That means I'm not going to be flying tourist sites, etc. But if I'm way in the backcountry and there are no people around, I'm going to fly.... even if it's technically within the bounds of Rocky Mountain National Park (for example). Yeah, I guess there's a small possibility that I could get busted by an overzealous ranger... but I guess I'll take my chances.
I also wouldn't post a video on YouTube saying "hey look, this is RMNP!". I think the ranger was forced into action over that guy's video because he was publicly announcing his video was taken at the park.... they needed to set an example to let everybody know that it wasn't OK or else there would soon be drones swarming their sky.

Reactions: Helo
Something people should keep in mind is that even if you don't see wildlife being disturbed, doesn't mean you aren't disturbing wildlife

A flying object will change the behavior of a bunch of different animals even if you don't directly see it, which should be avoided in national parks as much as possible

In that case, people shouldn't visit national parks either.

It's public land, the national parks system was created so that people could enjoy them while at the same time preserving their ecology. They have to strike a balance between the two, hence needing permits for back country camping

It imposes on the vast majority of people who visit national parks, people should fly over BLM or forest service land that's not as heavily managed

Reactions: Coskier and Helo
It's public land, the national parks system was created so that people could enjoy them while at the same time preserving their ecology. They have to strike a balance between the two, hence needing permits for back country camping
I understand. But your presence still alters animals behavior.. permit or not. I was only responding to what you wrote regarding that topic.

Reactions: RC5728
I understand. But your presence still alters animals behavior.. permit or not. I was only responding to what you wrote regarding that topic.

True, but that's the logic behind rangers saying it affects wildlife. I've seen other posts with people thinking they are completely harmless where wildlife is concerned but that's not the case

Even something as innocuous as a telephone pole in an area can completely stop some birds from breeding

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams