DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use phone with RC Pro ?

Steve56303

Reactions
If I have an RC Pro remote could I hook up a phone to it and use the Fly app on the phone instead?

Or does using a phone require the basic controller?

Thanks,

As far as I know you would not be able to hook up your phone to the RC Pro in that way.

Excuse me for asking but why would you want to do that? The whole point of the RC Pro is to A) Not use your phone, and B) Not use the basic controller that comes with the standard and flymore versions of the Mavic 3.

If I have an RC Pro remote could I hook up a phone to it and use the Fly app on the phone instead?
The Fly App is already installed on RC Pro. It's the app that supports Mavic 3 and gets updated on RC Pro every time it gets updated for Android. I'm also wondering what possible benefit you are seeking. The RC Pro has additional Zoom wheel, Programmable C1/C2 and 5D Joystick, a 1000 nits brightness screen, and eliminates needing... a phone, which can add a huge number of variables when controlling the Aircraft. I'm struggling to understand what adding a phone BACK I to the mix would accomplish. If using a high end phone or tablet is your goal, then RC Pro is not the way to go.
Or does using a phone require the basic controller?

The point being: It's not what the phone requires, but what the Aircraft requires. It requires a controller, and additionally an application to manage camera settings, recording, autonomous flight modes and safety. The phone is providing FPV and management, the controller provides throttle, pitch, roll and yaw using ESC.

I am trying to imagine what attaching a phone might bring other than the display. There is Mini HDMI out on the controller you could potentially use with another display if that was your goal. It would be nice but add weight, and change the balance and convenience of a having an all in one device.

Last edited:
As far as I know you would not be able to hook up your phone to the RC Pro in that way.

Excuse me for asking but why would you want to do that? The whole point of the RC Pro is to A) Not use your phone, and B) Not use the basic controller that comes with the standard and flymore versions of the Mavic 3.
I like the RC Pro but there are some fpv options I can set up with a phone that I can’t do with the built in screen.

I’ll just get a second basic controller. Thanks.

I like the RC Pro but there are some fpv options I can set up with a phone that I can’t do with the built in screen.

I’ll just get a second basic controller. Thanks.
Hi Steve
There will be quite a few Mavic 3 owners who also purchased the new RC Pro, so there should be quite a few stock controllers up for sale here and online.

Reactions: Bones311
I also cannot understand the OP’s motivation for using a phone, but perhaps the concern is about updates. Can the RC Pro receive updates over 4G or 5G? Or, strictly over wired or wireless connection?

Reactions: waternut13134
Does the RC Pro allow you to cache maps in Fly (the Smart Controller doesn’t in Fly, though it does with Go4)? If not, using a phone as a hotspot would be the only reason I could think of.

I am interested in using my iPad Mini with the RC Pro to get a larger screen - I have been flying Phantoms with an iPad Mini for six years, so the small screen is a huge adjustment, not to mention it is my first encounter with an Android device. External HDMI screens like the Tripletek are a bit to bulky and heavy.

I also am accustomed to the built-in cellular, and hoping DJI will release a module to fill the empty compartment in the US.

That said, the standard remote feels and works like a toy, so I will continue to adjust to the RC Pro for its solid feel and capabilities such as the two-click dedicated photo trigger and custom function buttons underneath.

Reactions: Point Zero
I have the RC Pro & it is a huge step up in performance compared to my M2P & Smart Controller V1, very smooth, no crashes (software!) but as I'm in UK it's limited to CE power outputs & I have had a few disconnects when the M3 goes just a touch too low behind a dense patch of old trees near me, especially when they are wet. I tried using the original RC-1 controller that came with my M3 & used my Samsung S9+ so the screen size is almost the same as the RC-Pro, the benefit of using my phone was I could load in a modified version of DJI-Fly that enables my M3 to fly with FCC power outputs which makes a big difference when behind the same section of trees, now getting no disconnects so eagerly awaiting the day when I can do the same hack to the RC-Pro.

I have the RC Pro & it is a huge step up in performance compared to my M2P & Smart Controller V1, very smooth, no crashes (software!) but as I'm in UK it's limited to CE power outputs & I have had a few disconnects when the M3 goes just a touch too low behind a dense patch of old trees near me, especially when they are wet. I tried using the original RC-1 controller that came with my M3 & used my Samsung S9+ so the screen size is almost the same as the RC-Pro, the benefit of using my phone was I could load in a modified version of DJI-Fly that enables my M3 to fly with FCC power outputs which makes a big difference when behind the same section of trees, now getting no disconnects so eagerly awaiting the day when I can do the same hack to the RC-Pro.
Drone Hacks should have a patch for the Mavic 3 at some point in the near future. I never heard of them before seeing it mentioned here on the Mavic 2 forums. Looks pretty good. Wish I still had my trusty old M2P!

Edit: Just checked and they already have one for the Mavic 3!

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman