DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a power bank

If you have a power bank that can output 13.2V @ 3.79A sure; but most power banks don't output that kind of power.

I am also experimenting with this, as I want to take my MA2 camping soon, and want to have more than just a couple hours of flying for all that hiking.

I have been successful in using a HALO Bolt 58830 power bank (find it on Amazon) to charge one battery at a time. I have found that using the hub charging station is too much of a draw a makes the power bank shut down. However, even though the power bank is rated at almost 60,000 mAh, after 3 battery recharges it's already drained the entire battery. The MA2 batteries are 3500 mAh.

Maybe I need to get a fold-able solar panel to charge the battery while I fly...

Reactions: basyok
It has occured to me that since the DJI charger will only charge 1 battery at a time, serially, and that it takes well over an hour for a single battery to recharge from abt 20-25% remaining charge, the limitor to nearly continuous flying is either a 4th battery or a separate charging apparatus. I bet the latter when they appear on the market will be cheaper and less heavy than a 4th battery. What do people think?

However, even though the power bank is rated at almost 60,000 mAh, after 3 battery recharges it's already drained the entire battery. The MA2 batteries are 3500 mAh.

Huge power losses.
This is going to be hard to overcome, and require a large bank as you found.

At what stage do you just buy and take extra drone batteries ?
Usually these will weigh less, and be much more travel friendly.

Especially if considering a solar panel, which are still a lot less efficient again for power generation, and require good direct sunlight.
If car / base camping, this wouldn't be so bad, as you can control position through the day, although it requires attention rather than totally immersing yourself off grid.
If walking trails etc, then it's really a waste of time as you will be using a very small panel on a backpack, getting low angles and shade at times, and still all you can do is recharge the power bank, then the power losses charging battery one at a time.

A worthy objective (I'm a bushwalker that takes 6 batts for the M1P) and one that's been the subject of many threads here over the years . . .

These should give you an idea of what's been tried, what might work in some off grid situations, what doesn't work, etc.

(This one above, has info on the Startree charging station, might be worth it for base camping.)

(This one above is another power bank, not sure how efficient these might be.)

Use an Omnicharger powerbank:

Ext_powerBank.jpg

Reactions: basyok
Think this is it, hard to tell how long and how many batteries it might charge . . . it's modified sine inverter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada