DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using DJI Goggles on an Airplane

Wr4ptr

Reactions
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. So I got some DJI goggles. They are, indeed, sweet and a blast to use with the Mavic Pro. Howeve, when I travel with them, I'd like to use them to look like a pretentious dork while I watch movies mirrored from my phone or iPad. I've got all the adapters and it works like a charm. However, I am assuming that the goggles emit radio frequency (as opposed to being just a receiver when being used with the drone). So, first, please confirm that the goggles emit as well as receive. If that is true, then does anyone know how to place the goggles in "airplane mode" to make them complaint to use on an airplane. Please don't bother with discussions on whether or not it matters to have your devices in airplane mode when traveling on planes. It's a tangential topic. I really just want to confirm that the goggles emit RF and, if so, how to disable that in order to be compliant.

The goggles should be OK on the airplane although they will look really silly lol. I do not believe the goggles transmit cellular signal which is the problem with air transportation.

I could of course be wrong on this.

I dont own goggles, but i remember reading they have a head track feature? That would require some type of transmit to the drone from the goggles, anything that transmits anything is not recommended on a commercial flight.
That being said, it would take a pretty sharp flight attendant to know that. You will probably be able to get away with it. BUT, If the plane starts plummeting towards earth while you are using them, discreetly shut them off :D

Reactions: Wr4ptr
DJI Goggles work on the 2.6GHz ISM (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) Band...not cellular. And yes, they transmit.

The complete FCC technical data can be found here:

FCC ID SS3-G1S1612 DJI Goggles by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

They essentially operate on the same spectrum slice as Wifi adapters and Bluetooth devices; the listings also include other devices that operate on the same or similar frequencies...(some so funny I’m still laughing).

It is not immediately obvious HOW to turn the transmitters off...it could be that if you hardwire in (or insert an SD card for local mode) the transmitters shut off...but I cannot find a statement so far that indicates that condition. I have goggles, but without a spectrum analyzer or comm test bench monitor at hand I can’t say this is the case...perhaps a call to DJI tech support can get you that answer.

In a quick read of the compliance test reports the transmitter(s) in the goggles can operate from 1mW to 100mW, depending on what channels are used...this is in line with the Wifi output of some laptops, which operate on different channels in the 2.4GHz band; 802.11 b/g/n Wifi channels are slightly higher than Occusync frequencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wr4ptr
Have you actually watched an entire film with them. I've never used them before or even handled a set. Wouldn't that just give you a headache wearing them for that long?

They transmit while in wireless use with an MP but they probably don't if an aircraft isn't paired and powered on.

It would also be fair to assume the wireless part is off when in HDMI mode... but nobody here will know for sure.

Some good info and I appreciate the replies, but mostly conjecture about how the goggles actually work while in HDMI mode and not connected to a drone. I find it difficult to believe that this is such a mystery topic! So, I am taking a commercial flight again this weekend and wanted to pose the question again. Does anyone know?

I’ve not watched a whole movie but have tested them out. The picture is great, with sound, and I am betting that, on a plane, I could find a comfortable position to lean back and support the goggles...they aren’t uncomfortable on the face...just a bit heavy in the long run without support.

The great thing about looking like a dork while wearing them is that you can’t see the stares you’ll be getting. Plus, they cover so much of your face that no one will recognize you later as “that person who was watching a movie on those huge goggles”...lol!

Reactions: kentfin and MavicCF
I dont own goggles, but i remember reading they have a head track feature? That would require some type of transmit to the drone from the goggles, anything that transmits anything is not recommended on a commercial flight.
That being said, it would take a pretty sharp flight attendant to know that. You will probably be able to get away with it. BUT, If the plane starts plummeting towards earth while you are using them, discreetly shut them off :D

...or quickly look up

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard