DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPhone w/o Removing Case

MavicFlyer

Reactions
I’m trying to figure out the best way to use my iPhone to fly my Mavic Air, without removing the case each time...it’s a Catalyst case which is waterproof, and it’s not good to keep taking it on/off.

I usually use one of those mounts that are used for tablets - a plate fits between the two arms, and phone is held in place on a spring loaded adjustable clip

This arrangement has worked well for me, but the problem arises when I want to use a sunshade

My first thought was to get a shade where the sides of the phone fit into the “slots” on the sides of the shade. Without the case on, it works OK except that it’s dry difficult to access the home button...with the case, it doesn’t work at all.

My most recent effort was to buy a shade that is held in place attaching to the antenna. The problem here is that it requires putting the phone between the fold out arms of the controller, and with the case, the phone doesn’t fit.

Question: how are the rubber inserts held in place? How difficult are they to remove, and then replace? My iPhone, in the Catalyst case, seems like it may fit between the arms without the inserts.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to use my iPhone to fly my Mavic Air, without removing the case each time...it’s a Catalyst case which is waterproof, and it’s not good to keep taking it on/off.

I usually use one of those mounts that are used for tablets - a plate fits between the two arms, and phone is held in place on a spring loaded adjustable clip

This arrangement has worked well for me, but the problem arises when I want to use a sunshade

My first thought was to get a shade where the sides of the phone fit into the “slots” on the sides of the shade. Without the case on, it works OK except that it’s dry difficult to access the home button...with the case, it doesn’t work at all.

My most recent effort was to buy a shade that is held in place attaching to the antenna. The problem here is that it requires putting the phone between the fold out arms of the controller, and with the case, the phone doesn’t fit.

Question: how are the rubber inserts held in place? How difficult are they to remove, and then replace? My iPhone, in the Catalyst case, seems like it may fit between the arms without the inserts.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use the second sunshade you have posed with the device mount you normally use. It’s adjustable so I don’t agree with your assumption you have to use it with the built in device holder.

A big heavy case on an iPhone causes a heat problem. If the phone starts to over heat it will automatically reduce the brightness of the display to try to reduce its heat output. It would be better to find a case that’s easier to take off and fly without the case.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use the second sunshade you have posed with the device mount you normally use. It’s adjustable so I don’t agree with your assumption you have to use it with the built in device holder.

A big heavy case on an iPhone causes a heat problem. If the phone starts to over heat it will automatically reduce the brightness of the display to try to reduce its heat output. It would be better to find a case that’s easier to take off and fly without the case.

If I understand you correctly, your suggestion is shown below:
Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG
Am I right? The problem with this setup is that the phone is “high”, which provides very little shading.

One possibility might be to “slide“ the shade up along the antenna, by “thickening” the lower halves of the antennas with rubber bands.

As to heating, I’ve never had a heat issue with this case. I’ve had bulkier all weather cases, but this Catalyst is the slimmest waterproof one I know of.

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, your suggestion is shown below:
View attachment 83754 View attachment 83755
Am I right? The problem with this setup is that the phone is “high”, which provides very little shading.

One possibility might be to “slide“ the shade up along the antenna, by “thickening” the lower halves of the antennas with rubber bands.

As to heating, I’ve never had a heat issue with this case. I’ve had bulkier all weather cases, but this Catalyst is the slimmest waterproof one I know of.
Alright I was wrong. That one sits the device up higher than mine

I removed the screws, but the rubber pieces still won't come out.

Note that I have a Mavic Air, so my controller has a slightly different layout than the one for Mavic Pro; instead of 3 screws from the bottom, I have two screws from the inside (when the arms of the RC are open).

snap.jpg

When these screws circled in red are removed, the arm with the rubber insert separates from the bar (blue arrow) and the controller body. The two screws go through a bracket , and anchor into the plastic of the arm. I tried prying the rubber inserts out, but no luck - I couldn't even get a tool between the rubber and the plastic of the arm; I'd like to remove the rubber intact.

This is a Mavic 2 controller but it's how I solved it. The mount is from Amazon and included a bracket for a crystal sky monitor. I did some tweaking and attached a phone mount magnet. Now I mount my phone the same way I do in the car.

1d9e111bb33186a9a75cbcbb14bff9a1.plist
f63b2906870160cdecb0c95205257465.plist
d919eb7a178726df1503c34915ecf96f.plist
I have a similar mount that puts the plate between the arms, but the problem is that effectively raising the iPhone interferes with the hood I have.

[/QUOTE]
I use an Amazon Fire tablet and the extra mount. Tablet was 49 bucks. Works pretty good. Other than that, I can barely squeeze my IPhone in the case into the RC, but it's clunky. Third option, which I haven't tried is to use an older iphone with no service, place it in Airplane mode and use it like a small tablet.. maybe? That's all I got..

.....Any other ideas would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143