DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using two controllers for 7 mile river crossing

Yes, you can. It even says it in the DJI video. Primary controller always has priority. If you release the stick, then the secondary controller can take over after a 2 second wait. Same for gimbal dial.

The video only refers to controlling aircraft orientation - i.e. yaw to control the camera view. Did you actually succeed in having the secondary controller fly the aircraft - right stick forwards, backwards, sideways and left stick throttle?

The video only refers to controlling aircraft orientation - i.e. yaw to control the camera view. Did you actually succeed in having the secondary controller fly the aircraft - right stick forwards, backwards, sideways and left stick throttle?

Yes, I gained full control with secondary controller. The video I just posted shows the same behavior.

Also this video shows how it works. It's pretty cool:

Interesting - that does show the secondary with full flight control. That wasn't supposed to be possible, at least on the MP. Now you just need to figure out if the secondary can power up and link during a flight. Interesting concept.

Interesting - that does show the secondary with full flight control. That wasn't supposed to be possible, at least on the MP. Now you just need to figure out if the secondary can power up and link during a flight. Interesting concept.

I tried the power up in mid flight with the primary controller. I am sure it works with secondary as well, but will test it.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I’ve done this with the MP1 and it works well...I wish the M2E birds had this capability in the Pilot app for training new pilots.

One thing to test/consider...IF this works like the Inspire series dual controls the second controller only talks to the primary controller...the primary remote talks to the aircraft. This implies the two remotes must be in close proximity.

If this is the case with the MP2 then any significant separation between the remotes and a ‘hand-off’ is likely not feasible.

I’ve done this with the MP1 and it works well...I wish the M2E birds had this capability in the Pilot app for training new pilots.

One thing to test/consider...IF this works like the Inspire series dual controls the second controller only talks to the primary controller...the primary remote talks to the aircraft. This implies the two remotes must be in close proximity.

If this is the case with the MP2 then any significant separation between the remotes and a ‘hand-off’ is likely not feasible.

That's an interesting potential wrinkle too. The instructional video above showed both RCs being linked via the link button on the aircraft, but that doesn't rule out that the secondary is subsequently communicating via the primary. Switching off the primary RC is going to show whether that's the case, as well as testing what would happen in actual use when the aircraft loses link with the primary.

I will be interested to hear about his results...it seems we’re always learning about ‘undocumented features’ in our systems lol...

It may be that the secondary remote pairing to the a/c needs confirmation (punching the pairing button on the bird) to tell it “and by the way, THIS remote ID can also control you as the authorized secondary”.

And yes...primary remote power-off needs to be part of the test; just make sure RTH parameters are set first if things go awry!

Last edited:
That's an interesting potential wrinkle too. The instructional video above showed both RCs being linked via the link button on the aircraft, but that doesn't rule out that the secondary is subsequently communicating via the primary. Switching off the primary RC is going to show whether that's the case, as well as testing what would happen in actual use when the aircraft loses link with the primary.

I shut off the primary remote to restart it, because the video feed wasn't showing (bug on SC), and the secondary remote was still receiving video and I was able to steer the drone, so it must be connected directly to the drone

I shut off the primary remote to restart it, because the video feed wasn't showing (bug on SC), and the secondary remote was still receiving video and I was able to steer the drone, so it must be connected directly to the drone

That seems conclusive. Have you checked if you can link the secondary after takeoff?

That seems conclusive. Have you checked if you can link the secondary after takeoff?

I have successfully tested this scenario: Started the drone with the primary controller only, in this case the Smart Controller, took off and flew away a little. Then I turned on the M2P remote with my attached iPhone and it connected without any issues.

Next: Will try this soon with the drone being further out to see if it connects on longer distances

It is possible to use two RC controls ... one main and one "slave" ... The main pilot pilots the ship taking preference in the orders sent to the aircraft (if the secondary sends down order and the other one different, the preference will be order of the main RC command ..) and the secondary one would be designed more for camera control and image recording ... Long distance shipping tests have been done with dynamic RTH (see video: https: // youtu. be / Tebor2xDgY8 .. You can give it to the translator and that's it) But I don't know if the secondary command could be moved and function as such ...
Also here in Spain / Europe to perform this flight / mission you are required to issue an aeronautical NOTAM ...

It is possible to use two RC controls ... one main and one "slave" ... The main pilot pilots the ship taking preference in the orders sent to the aircraft (if the secondary sends down order and the other one different, the preference will be order of the main RC command ..) and the secondary one would be designed more for camera control and image recording ... Long distance shipping tests have been done with dynamic RTH (see video: https: // youtu. be / Tebor2xDgY8 .. You can give it to the translator and that's it) But I don't know if the secondary command could be moved and function as such ...
Also here in Spain / Europe to perform this flight / mission you are required to issue an aeronautical NOTAM ...

Thanks for the input. I have already performed some shorter distance VLOS flights with 2 remotes and it works fine. Need to do more testing, such as "emergency" take over, in flight switching, etc in case that one remote malfunctions during the crossing. I am also talking to the FAA to get permission for this flight, plus added insurance for that day, and a camera team in boats to cover the "century event" :) We're currently filming the "making of" and "behind the scenes" of the test flights, the calls to the FAA and other things that happening right now during the planning phase.

Thanks everyone here on MavicPilots, your input has been very helpful. I'll keep you updated about the project and will provide information about the film, once it's ready.

Thanks for the input. I have already performed some shorter distance VLOS flights with 2 remotes and it works fine. Need to do more testing, such as "emergency" take over, in flight switching, etc in case that one remote malfunctions during the crossing. I am also talking to the FAA to get permission for this flight, plus added insurance for that day, and a camera team in boats to cover the "century event" :) We're currently filming the "making of" and "behind the scenes" of the test flights, the calls to the FAA and other things that happening right now during the planning phase.

Thanks everyone here on MavicPilots, your input has been very helpful. I'll keep you updated about the project and will provide information about the film, once it's ready.

Congratulations and encouragement with your project, Marcbyron

Long distance shipping tests have been done with dynamic RTH...

It is possible to use two RC controls ... one main and one "slave" ... The main pilot pilots the ship taking preference in the orders sent to the aircraft (if the secondary sends down order and the other one different, the preference will be order of the main RC command ..) and the secondary one would be designed more for camera control and image recording ... Long distance shipping tests have been done with dynamic RTH...

That might work with the Mavic but not with Mavic 2.
Mavic 2 doesn't have the dynamic homepoint feature.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev