DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vacation Destination (Re-Calibration Question)

SatDoug

Reactions
Hi All:
I am looking for some advice on what would have to be re-calibrated (if anything) in order to fly safely outside my normal home area of New Jersey. I will be taking a trip to Hawaii early 2018 and want to take my Mavic, but also want to minimize any surprises. So I'm trying to build a checklist of things to do/not forget (specifically to the flying of the Mavic (ex.- update any software/firmware (though I know it can still change while away), etc. Should I plan on compass calibration once in Hawaii (and again when I return home). What about any other internal calibrations that I may not be aware of? Thanks for any words of wisdom!

You shouldn't need to recalibrate anything.

Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more details on when the compass should be recalibrated.

Thanks msinger. I did see another thread mentioning to do it if travel from home location is more than 250 miles, so that was my main reason for asking. I did think not the IMU, etc.

Not a calibration issue, but I recommend you lock down your phone/tablet so it will not auto-update Go 4. Nothing like getting hosed by an unexpected/un-asked for update.

Reactions: Flycaster
Did he forget to confirm that the "Home point has been updated, please check it on the map"???

Should not have to calibrate anything, unless asked for by the app. Also, when flying in a new location (even more than 250 miles), let the AC grab all the gps sats, and you will be good. I have never calibrated anything, been flying it right out of the box, from Calif to Idaho. Oh, and by the way, still on .400 for the AC, and and older version of the Go4 app....

Just don't go and do something "silly" like updating anything just before you leave on vacation. Invites "issues".....

Not sure what system you are using, but you may need to download the offline map for Hawaii.

I would definitely calibrate the compass. If the unit may have been banged around in travel, I would do the IMU and Gimbal as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15