DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vegas, and grand canyon should i bring a drone?

You will see something like this in every National Park.....B4UFly only shows TFRs and controlled airspace....the airspace over National Parks is not controlled, unless it is close to an airport
Good reminder that B4UFly and other aids don't show 100% of everything. I know an area controlled by US Army Corps of Engineers that's a "no drone zone". Doesn't appear on apps, though it is posted if you look or check online. It's my responsibility to be aware and do the right thing.

I just want to fly the drone, will i get a warning message on the DJI app when i get close to a no fly zone?
Not necessarily.

DJI's restrictions are close to but not necessarily matching those of the government. At least, that's been the case in the three countries I've flown in so I suspect that is also the case in America. The fact that DJI's software doesn't know about a flight restriction doesn't mean there isn't one. For example, DJI will let me fly my Mavic 2 from my house without any warnings, but as I am in an airport control zone I need an advanced pilot certificate and a special flight operations certificate to do so legally (in Canada).

(I've also had the reverse, where DJI wouldn't let me fly when there was no legal (or safety) barrier — very frustrating as I was out of cell service and had no way to get an unlock.)

Check the DJI map to see where you will need to unlock, but also check an FAA map (or other source such as B4UFLY) to see what the regulations say. Also check for NOTAMs before you launch — some apps check this for you as well. (Drone Pilot Canada does, which is what I use up here.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57
Where you can or cannot legally fly is your responsibility to know. Apps like B4UFLY will help with that, but may not be all inclusive.

But you also need to be aware of what the DJI app will or won't allow. It is not to be relied on as a tool for determining what is or isn't legal. But it can and will interfere with your plans at inconvenient times. Always check the DJI map, and familiarize yourself with what the various coloured zones mean, and how those will affect your flight if you encounter one. www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Fly will warn you or, not let you take off. However its easier as noted above if you use the B4UFly App and look at the areas you intend to visit and see where you can or cannot fly... saves you the trip unless you intend to visit it and take photos or videos from other devices.
The Grand Canyon is a total no-fly zone but there are areas around Vegas where drones are allowed. Red Rock Canyon is one area where they are allowed.

As others have said...the Mini 2 is small enough to carry easily.

I live in Arizona and I was staying at the “Village of Oak Creek” which is just outside of Sedona. I had no problem flying there and got some cool shots of Sedona. I have found that if you use Aloft and look up the local drone regulations, it is easy to find places to fly just outside of the restricted areas. I have also been in Massachusetts and flown very close to Logan Airport. I got authorization to fly in Class B Airspace limited to 50 feet or 100 feet. I have shots where you can see the Logan Airport tower. In general, I have found that there is almost always a solution to fly close enough to the “restricted” areas to still get some great shots.

I live in Arizona and I was staying at the “Village of Oak Creek” which is just outside of Sedona. I had no problem flying there and got some cool shots of Sedona. I have found that if you use Aloft and look up the local drone regulations, it is easy to find places to fly just outside of the restricted areas. I have also been in Massachusetts and flown very close to Logan Airport. I got authorization to fly in Class B Airspace limited to 50 feet or 100 feet. I have shots where you can see the Logan Airport tower. In general, I have found that there is almost always a solution to fly close enough to the “restricted” areas to still get some great shots.
I was in Sedona last week and was able to fly at a few trail starting locations such as Cathedral Rock, Seven Sacred Pools etc with no issues, very scenic. Parking was interesting in some places. but most people were already on the trails and no one even paid attention to my flights..

DJI_0076.JPG
Cathedral Rock.. Mini 3

Reactions: KLRSKIR
If you have a car and don’t mind doing a bit of research there are many great places to fly. I’ve lived here for almost 50 years. we have some extremely beautiful desert.

Hoover Dam, critical infrastructure, no way! Nevada side parking would not even let me park because I had my gun. I even have lockboxes! Had to go to Vegas, get a hotel and store it in the safe and go back! (I had some family from S.Korea with me, so kinda an inconvenience for all of us.)

Grand Canyon, drones permitted so much further east. NPS will not permit drone except in specifically designated areas. The helicopter tours have special FAA flight permissions. Chopper tours not that expensive (back 4 years ago). <$600/4 persons.

Personal Note: Last choppers I rode (military) involved monkey tails and rapid repell! Rule #1: let the gunner in the chopper do the firing, you will spin on repell and if firing you stand a chance of fratricide. Wait until you say “ummmphhh”. 49 years past!

As mentioned above, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is a BLM property and does allow drone flying. With the caveat to “be respectful of wildlife and other visitors”. If any ”Karen” gives you trouble, refer them to this Red Rock link: Frequently Asked Questions | Red Rock Canyon Las Vegas

The strip is basically in the yellowish circle on the left. Without a part 107 license you are not permitted to fly in the majority of the Las Vegas metro area.
1A661232-E641-4678-99B7-A1BB95C6967B.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you taken the TRUST yet? This course/test, which is legally required now, will go a long way to helping shed some light on basic questions etc.

Have a quick look at:
It’s an easy thing to do to, so I’ve done it. But is it required for drones less than 250g?

I know when I started out I really thought it was a hassle, cause places would be like “you HAVE to do this this and this”. Then at the end of the article or video in small text “except if less than 250g”

It’s an easy thing to do to, so I’ve done it. But is it required for drones less than 250g?

I know when I started out I really thought it was a hassle, cause places would be like “you HAVE to do this this and this”. Then at the end of the article or video in small text “except if less than 250g”
TRUST is required to fly period. The 249g exemption is for FAA registration.

Being from the mid Atlantic myself where there is mostly just pine trees, every time I go out west everything is scenic to me. I call it the land of eye candy. Everywhere you go is red rock, deep green with snow capped mountains in the background. In essence, I think you will encounter many opportunities to fly that will make it worth while to have your drone.
Highway 163 as you leave Monument Valley headed toward Mexican Hat has some beautiful views. Which leads to another question. Can you fly on Native American land? Native Americans have soventry on their reservations. The best answer I can find is, contact the Native American police and ask permission. Be prepared to be specific about intent, flight plans, times etx as you can. They are not real keen on those trying to find and steal artifacts. More than likely they will be reasonable if you are.

I know you can't fly in a national park and vegas is much of the same, i have a mini 2. I will be driving from vegas, hoover dam grand canyon and to sedona arizona.

Is there any point in taking a drone? I have never traveled with it so i would assume you would not be allowed to take off.

I'm just going by the dji fly map.

I have no restricted areas around me so what happens if you start to fly close to one? Does the DJI app warn you.
If you don't mind a little travel outside the City, there are two amazing areas. Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire State Park. Both are epic drone locations.

If you don't mind a little travel outside the City, there are two amazing areas. Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire State Park. Both are epic drone locations.
Um...well....no.

"Use of drones is prohibited in Nevada State Parks unless in an area designated for that use by a park supervisor or by issuance of a special use permit for use of a unmanned aircraft."

You can just google this stuff. Not hard.

But seriously, I'd take it along anyway. You'll never know what opportunities (legal ones) you could have.

Reactions: BigAl07
Um...well....no.

"Use of drones is prohibited in Nevada State Parks unless in an area designated for that use by a park supervisor or by issuance of a special use permit for use of a unmanned aircraft."

You can just google this stuff. Not hard.

But seriously, I'd take it along anyway. You'll never know what opportunities (legal ones) you could have.
It's pretty easy dude. Just fly from outside the park boundaries. It's called FAA controlled airspace and is totally legal to fly over State or National Parks as long as you takeoff and land outside the park boundaries. You can just Google this stuff, not hard..... 🤔

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000