DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vegas, and grand canyon should i bring a drone?

David97

Reactions
I know you can't fly in a national park and vegas is much of the same, i have a mini 2. I will be driving from vegas, hoover dam grand canyon and to sedona arizona.

Is there any point in taking a drone? I have never traveled with it so i would assume you would not be allowed to take off.

I'm just going by the dji fly map.

I have no restricted areas around me so what happens if you start to fly close to one? Does the DJI app warn you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the B4UFly app for restricted areas. There may be others but B4UFly is a good starting point, as least for federal areas.
If you are planning tours, then check with the touring company. If you have your own travel plans, then check out those specific areas.
Are you interested in specific areas for photography or you just want to fly your drone?

Reactions: New England Droning
Check the B4UFly app for restricted areas. There may be others but B4UFly is a good starting point, as least for federal areas.
If you are planning tours, then check with the touring company. If you have your own travel plans, then check out those specific areas.
Are you interested in specific areas for photography or you just want to fly your drone?

I just want to fly the drone, will i get a warning message on the DJI app when i get close to a no fly zone?

I just want to fly the drone, will i get a warning message on the DJI app when i get close to a no fly zone?
Fly will warn you or, not let you take off. However its easier as noted above if you use the B4UFly App and look at the areas you intend to visit and see where you can or cannot fly... saves you the trip unless you intend to visit it and take photos or videos from other devices.

Reactions: WDKZoom
Fly will warn you or, not let you take off. However its easier as noted above if you use the B4UFly App and look at the areas you intend to visit and see where you can or cannot fly... saves you the trip unless you intend to visit it and take photos or videos from other devices.

I do take my Sony A74 the places i am going are right on the border of the no fly spots. It seems any place of interest is a no fly zone.

Generally you can't fly a National Park without permission (and most likely a Part 107). The National Park Service is very specific about this. The same is often (but not always) true of State Parks, but highly variable for City Parks, so you have to check first.

Disney parks and properties are also no-fly.

I travel with at least one drone, just in case. The Mini 3P is so small, I bring far more camera gear and we travel "heavy" anyway, so it's not an issue. You can't fly it if you don't have it.

Reactions: bitsbytes
I'll echo the advice to check in B4UFly now. You can search for "Hoover Dam" and see it's heavily restricted - no fly zone. You'll also see all of Las Vegas is controlled, due to airports, manned air traffic (plenty of helicopters), and other considerations.

We all "just want to fly" our drones. That doesn't relieve us of the responsibility for staying out of restricted airspace.

Stop relying on DJI -- a private company (and a Chinese one to boot) -- to keep you legal. DJI has no skin in the game. You do. It's your responsibility, not some foreign company's. B4UFly is the official source; you should use it before every flight (because there are airports all over the place, including lots of places you would never expect, and because airspace restrictions change constantly).

I do bring my Mini with me when traveling, but I worry about leaving it in the car when I'm not carrying it around. A tempting target for car break-ins.

Reactions: bitsbytes
The Grand Canyon is a total no-fly zone but there are areas around Vegas where drones are allowed. Red Rock Canyon is one area where they are allowed.

As others have said...the Mini 2 is small enough to carry easily.

Bring it you’ll regret it if you don’t

I know you can't fly in a national park and vegas is much of the same, i have a mini 2. I will be driving from vegas, hoover dam grand canyon and to sedona arizona.

Is there any point in taking a drone? I have never traveled with it so i would assume you would not be allowed to take off.

I have no restricted areas around me so what happens if you start to fly close to one? Does the DJI app warn you.

Have you taken the TRUST yet? This course/test, which is legally required now, will go a long way to helping shed some light on basic questions etc.

Have a quick look at:

Las Vegas is a mess of airports so you would need to get LAANC authorizations, especially in the city proper as most of it's 0 AGL.
The Grand Canyon is a Part Time Restricted Airspace. So you might have issues there. Not sure what "part time" is though....
Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 8.27.22 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-08-29 at 8.25.52 AM.jpg

I live in Las Vegas red rock canyon right outside of Las Vegas is an awesome place to fly your drone I draw I fly there very often most of Las Vegas is off-limits though

Reactions: antonebear
Take the drone - ALWAYS. You cannot fly it if you do not have it. Take a real camera and shoot on the LV Strip at night - it's awesome. But since you are driving, you will be going through a lot of beautiful empty spaces where there are no restrictions. Fly your drone! I have not been in LV for several years, but I have been to Red Rock State Park (in my pre-drone life) and it is stunning. IF (you need to check) you can fly your drone there it you could get some really nice shots. And as to being near the edge of the restricted areas - mind your p's and q's but as long as you are outside the restricted area, go for it. Check B4UFLY and have fun!

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
I do take my Sony A74 the places i am going are right on the border of the no fly spots. It seems any place of interest is a no fly zone.
Yep. Seems anything worth taking vids or snapshots of is “off limits” so it’s kinda, what’s the point if you can’t be spontaneous ?? I’m all for safety but, c’mon.

You will find out how your Drone will get shut down if you fly in those restricted Zones! It will warn you to land if it doesn’t at first warn you and it will land your Drone for you! By the way, I have the Mini 1 !

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan