DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No drones allowed signs

Dangerly

Reactions
I have a collection of photos I've taken of "No drones allowed" signs in famous places, where it should be so obvious that of course you shouldn't fly a drone there, but they have a sign for those people who for whatever reason don't know any better. That said, wouldn't it be amazing to fly a drone at the Grand Canyon or the Golden Gate Bridge?

20231012_115644.jpg

No Drones.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Poogan and Torque
Reactions: asditty
Any tourist attraction here in California is a No Drone zone and they sometimes post signs and sometimes not.
Mostly they are Local safety laws and such BUT If you are Part 107 You can get permission if you have the TIME, Insurance, and can Work thru all the other Gov. Red tape. I know a few guys who's companies have gotten them permission to fly in some pretty crazy places that you would think no one could ever fly at. One of these guys even got to fly his Drone at LAX { Near a very small way off hanger with officials all around, and get this: It was tethered at that! But Still cool.
The guy that took the bridge photos could have had permission It is actually a National recreation area and if you start flying your drone in the area I can promise they are on their way to tell you to stop. There are many Attractions besides the bridge so anywhere near the bridge is a No-No.

Reactions: LOkayaks and Torque
I don't know why they would not want drones flying around the Golden Gate bridge or Grand Canyon.

Reactions: mihaildorian
Many reasons I suppose. The Golden Gate bridge has cameras down the whole length of it and all around the perimeter To keep someone from adding there name to the suicide list.
I can imagine there is a very long list of drone offenders they have had to ask to leave the Area.

Reactions: Torque
You can't take off, land or operate from the Presido or the Park on other side. But you can fly from outside those areas. They can't do anything to stop you there.

The bridge is not in a NFZ. I checked Air Control. The land area around it isn't either.

Irrelevant.

The flight in that second video was massively in violation of many important rules for the safety of unaware people on the bridge driving their cars. And the risk taken flying through the narrow openings at the tops of the towers, and directly over the road surface in between the support cables were extremely dangerous.

All it would take is a strong gust, which happen all the time in that locale, and crash.

Stunning footage.

Footage that should be punished. And if you knew me well, you'd understand how significant it is for this generally libertarian person to be saying that.

The guy that took the bridge photos could have had permission It is actually a National recreation area and if you start flying your drone in the area I can promise they are on their way to tell you to stop. There are many Attractions besides the bridge so anywhere near the bridge is a No-No.

Watch the second video. You can not get permission to do that. No exceptions.

I don't know why they would not want drones flying around the Golden Gate bridge or Grand Canyon.

Pretty much because the ratio of people that want to enjoy these things for their beauty and wow-factor, to those that want to enjoy them for capturing cool video and stills is roughly thousands to 1.

So, when rules, ordinances, etc. are crafted to address this issue, guess who's opinions prevail?

Democracy.

Reactions: Sparc343 and Torque
Footage that should be punished. And if you knew me well, you'd understand how significant it is for this generally libertarian person to be saying that.
Not my footage BTW, I don't have those kinds of skillz and I value my drone (I would crash for sure). So, what would you propose as the appropriate punishment for publishing such a heinous video to youtube?

Libertarian? :oops:

Irrelevant.

The flight in that second video was massively in violation of many important rules for the safety of unaware people on the bridge driving their cars. And the risk taken flying through the narrow openings at the tops of the towers, and directly over the road surface in between the support cables were extremely dangerous.

All it would take is a strong gust, which happen all the time in that locale, and crash.

Stunning footage.

Tell the truth, I didn't watch the second video before my post. Yes, that one was highly illegal. I watched it on YouTube and left a comment to that effect. Yes, I know how libertarian you are.

I have a collection of photos I've taken of "No drones allowed" signs in famous places, where it should be so obvious that of course you shouldn't fly a drone there, but they have a sign for those people who for whatever reason don't know any better. That said, wouldn't it be amazing to fly a drone at the Grand Canyon or the Golden Gate Bridge?

View attachment 169325

View attachment 169327
It is disappointing - as you say, some locations are obvious why not, yet I don’t understand others.

On the bridge, I would think people would fly too low to the cars and bridge itself. So I think that's why they don't want drones there.

On the bridge, I would think people would fly too low to the cars and bridge itself. So I think that's why they don't want drones there.
How about these bridges, should they be off limits too because drones might fly too low to the cars or bridge?

Reactions: shb
Not my footage BTW, I don't have those kinds of skillz and I value my drone (I would crash for sure). So, what would you propose as the appropriate punishment for publishing such a heinous video to youtube?

Libertarian? :oops:

Publishing? Nothing.

For slowly flying directly over cars on the road deck for rather long periods of time, putting the people in them at serious risk should something go wrong, an enormous fine. Like $10,000.

Does not justify jail or anything like that.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne