DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vibrating Motors In Cold Temperature

Pretty cold here (haven't flown it yet, and not planning on doing so)..

Djii clearly states operating temps (not to be flown below 0c) so not sure why people still testing them in freezing temps.

Also based on the user manual, has anyone tried this ? Insert battery and turn on for 1-2 minutes (guessing just turn on with button, without actually turning props on)

**Read the exclamation point**
It says the same thing in dji's user manual for spark , mavic and p4 p4pro ....they dont have this problem. You are always supposed to keep batteries warm and let aircraft warm up as a rule of thumb...problem is the air shakes while other aircraft don't.

It says the same thing in dji's user manual for spark , mavic and p4 p4pro ....they dont have this problem. You are always supposed to keep batteries warm and let aircraft warm up as a rule of thumb...problem is the air shakes while other aircraft don't.

I understand that the others Don't.. but people still trying them outside the recommended temperature range.

Let's say the air for whatever reason shuts off completely while flying in sub zero temps.. are we going to blame dji ? Because their other drones don't or didn't?

I doubt dji will care since they clearly mentioned operating temp limits.
Point is the air is functioning 100% normal while flying in its set limits (which is all it has to do really)

Reactions: Alan M
That's exactly what others said before and confirmed works.
Ok great. I obviously didn't read all the replies. Good to hear that DJI included these adjustments, that it seems to be helping, and on a personal level that my first instincts were apparently correct.

For what it's worth, I just did my very first short flight. It was at night and very dark so it was little more than a short 15' hover and a bit of wiggling of the sticks to get a bit of a feel. No wagging. 20F.
Excited for a real maiden flight tomorrow.

I understand that the others Don't.. but people still trying them outside the recommended temperature range.

Let's say the air for whatever reason shuts off completely while flying in sub zero temps.. are we going to blame dji ? Because their other drones don't or didn't?

I doubt dji will care since they clearly mentioned operating temp limits.
Point is the air is functioning 100% normal while flying in its set limits (which is all it has to do really)
Listen...u dont have to explain yourself thousands of people already do this. Fly in the cold ... Your point is not justifiable also, especially when dji's other line up does not behave this way. Im just stating the facts none the less. Its a gain or imu issue ....p.s search youtube its happening above 32° . The one video the guy said it was 40

Listen...u dont have to explain yourself thousands of people already do this. Fly in the cold ... Your point is not justifiable also, especially when dji's other line up does not behave this way. Im just stating the facts none the less. Its a gain or imu issue ....p.s search youtube its happening above 32° . The one video the guy said it was 40

Dont need to be so offensive looool .. anyways thousands or millions of people "doing it" does not change the fact....

Dont need to be so offensive looool .. anyways thousands or millions of people "doing it" does not change the fact....
Im not being offensive sorry if i came off that way.:)

I haven't any vibrating/shaking with my Air, though I haven't flown it very much due to cold/windy weather. With that said, I would have to concur with some others in that DJI does clearly state operating temp. I think that it could be quite humorous to file a warranty claim with support and tell the Tech that "it was 10 F outside when this occurred". I not saying that its normal for the AC to vibrate, I've flown my MP in 5 degree temps. But there is obviously a reason why they (DJI) state an operating temp range. Just my 2 cents!

upload_2018-2-7_6-45-30.png

I haven't any vibrating/shaking with my Air, though I haven't flown it very much due to cold/windy weather. With that said, I would have to concur with some others in that DJI does clearly state operating temp. I think that it could be quite humorous to file a warranty claim with support and tell the Tech that "it was 10 F outside when this occurred". I not saying that its normal for the AC to vibrate, I've flown my MP in 5 degree temps. But there is obviously a reason why they (DJI) state an operating temp range. Just my 2 cents!

View attachment 30732
Agree but who says anyone is going to make a warranty claim like that...cant believe yall are trying to justify that...we all have flown are aircraft and lower temperatures in 32 degrees Fahrenheit but oh now it's what the manual says so it's okay? Nah dji just need to see what's going on in fix it point is it's not normal... it's not because of the temperature because other DJI aircraft would be doing this it's the gain or the IMU..... I guarantee if DJI does fix this with a firmware update you guys will be flying in lower temperatures than 32 degrees.... I'm just saying so now temperature is a big deal when we fly our Mavic air when it wasn't with other aircraft?

People have reported this issue in 40F. You guys are getting all bent out of shape. Clearly DJI just set the gain too high. And stop with this crap about ' the manual says never fly in the cold'. DJI flew it over and around glaciers in Greenland for their promo footage.

People have reported this issue in 40F. You guys are getting all bent out of shape. Clearly DJI just set the gain too high. And stop with this crap about ' the manual says never fly in the cold'. DJI flew it over and around glaciers in Greenland for their promo footage.
Thank you! My point precisely! Right that promo vid tho!

I agree with what others have been saying...just because DJI states 32 does not mean that it will stop working at 31. Thats the recommended range, and its pretty bad engineering if they just stopped working properly at "31 degrees."

With that being said my specific issue was happening at 35 degree outside temperature. Looks like this issue probably kicks in somewhere under 50 degrees, which should not be happening. Either way no other DJI drones show this behavior, so its clearly an issue.

I should be able to test the gain fix soon, an hopefully I can cancel my replacement that has been approved (I'm assuming all Airs are effected by this so no point in replacing it).

Flew out of the box today 0C 32F temp. Came from inside the house (21c 70F) and then it was powered on for 2 or 3 minutes before take off. zero issues.

Replying from sunny Sydney, Australia. Finding these below 0 stories interesting. Thankfully not having the same issues. It's just above room temp everywhere (and long sunny days).
Have come across these awesome videos:

Reactions: JakeS
Replying from sunny Sydney, Australia. Finding these below 0 stories interesting. Thankfully not having the same issues. It's just above room temp everywhere (and long sunny days).
Have come across these awesome videos:

Lol thanks! It’s been fun flying the air out there. I can’t imagine dealing with the heat you do there!

This is fixed as of 02/09/18. The firmware update adjusts the PID, increasing the IMU tolerance for cold weather. Mine works perfectly now!

I fly in negative degrees all the time. I've been flying DJI since the P1, including ones I've built. The only detrimental affect sub zero cold has on your drone is sucking the power out of your batteries dramatically. I literally had a P1 zip up, hang in the air 2 seconds then started emergency landing at 100ft. This was 2013 though lol. Unless its blasting cold with water, I really don't see any negative affects in my 5 years of flying DJI.

Also my MA can only fly for about 10 mins when the weather is in the single digits.

This is fixed as of 02/09/18. The firmware update adjusts the PID, increasing the IMU tolerance for cold weather. Mine works perfectly now!
Woot! i knew it had to be something like that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002