DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video and LightRoom

Lhemmerich

Reactions
I find LightRoom does not play my MP2 videos well...they stutter....but play well with the Mac player.
What other catalog methods are being used for video?

Lhemmerich: Adobe Lightroom is mainly a still image editing app with very limited video editing capabilities. Adobe's answer to that is Premiere Pro CC, and other ancillary software.

Reactions: dcrist66
Lhemmerich: Adobe Lightroom is mainly a still image editing app with very limited video editing capabilities. Adobe's answer to that is Premiere Pro CC, and other ancillary software.
Yes...I found that out...what do drone flyers use for video?

I find LightRoom does not play my MP2 videos well...they stutter....but play well with the Mac player.

I have a hack for to use Photoshop to edit video. You can actually edit videos directly in Photoshop but you need a really powerful computer to do it.

For the rest of us with average computers you can export a frame from your video and import into photoshop. Select the layer and make it a background layer
Layer>
New layer from background>

Then you can use adjustment layers in photoshop(note this does not work for anything that is in the “filters” menu of photoshop. Only adjustment layers)

So you can use levels, curves, saturation, vibrance etc.

When done you go to file>export> lookup tables and it will save as a LUT!

You can then apply the LUT to the video using Adobe Media encoder, Premier Pro, After Effects, or any other video editor that can apply LUTs and your video will look the same as in Photoshop!

This technique uses very little processing and if you are use to the layout and tools in photoshop you’ll probably find it easier.

Nifty trick, I’ll have to try that

I have both Photoshop and Lightroom CC. Photoshop will edit video, but it's limited in function and seems to bog down my PC. I ended up trying several products with their trial versions. I initially thought I would get PowerDirector but discovered the video it produced wasn't quite as smooth as Adobe Premier Elements 2019. I also checked out Corel Video Studio but the video rendered contained too much artifacts (scrambled video). So far I am relatively satisfied with Adobe.

I have a hack for to use Photoshop to edit video. You can actually edit videos directly in Photoshop but you need a really powerful computer to do it.

For the rest of us with average computers you can export a frame from your video and import into photoshop. Select the layer and make it a background layer
Layer>
New layer from background>

Then you can use adjustment layers in photoshop(note this does not work for anything that is in the “filters” menu of photoshop. Only adjustment layers)

So you can use levels, curves, saturation, vibrance etc.

When done you go to file>export> lookup tables and it will save as a LUT!

You can then apply the LUT to the video using Adobe Media encoder, Premier Pro, After Effects, or any other video editor that can apply LUTs and your video will look the same as in Photoshop!

This technique uses very little processing and if you are use to the layout and tools in photoshop you’ll probably find it easier.

Interesting. The last time I used Photoshop for video editing was six years ago, when I had CS6. I used Photoshop to straighten perspective in clips shot with a DSLR and an ultra-wide lens. Batch processing (leaving PS to do its stuff) worked but interactive editing did not. Inspired by this thread, I fed my M2P clips to modern Photoshop. Editing H264 clips, even in 4K, looked like a plausible option, at least when I clicked the cogs (settings) icon to playback at 50% resolution. 4K playback at 100% resolution suffered from stutter. But at 50% resolution playback was smooth even when I had two Photoshop layers (a curve adjustment layer and a hue/saturation/lightness layer) active and PS rendered the video in real-time. However, Photoshop refused to open my H.265 clips. I normally use Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate for video editing.

Interesting. The last time I used Photoshop for video editing was six years ago, when I had CS6. I used Photoshop to straighten perspective in clips shot with a DSLR and an ultra-wide lens. Batch processing (leaving PS to do its stuff) worked but interactive editing did not. Inspired by this thread, I fed my M2P clips to modern Photoshop. Editing H264 clips, even in 4K, looked like a plausible option, at least when I clicked the cogs (settings) icon to playback at 50% resolution. 4K playback at 100% resolution suffered from stutter. But at 50% resolution playback was smooth even when I had two Photoshop layers (a curve adjustment layer and a hue/saturation/lightness layer) active and PS rendered the video in real-time. However, Photoshop refused to open my H.265 clips. I normally use Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate for video editing.

That’s because you didn’t export a frame like I said ?. Export a frame from whatever you use as for NLE. If using a Mac, the photos app can actually do this real easily.

You were editing the actual video in photoshop and so you are gonna find when you try to export that video it’s gonna take FOREVER to render out because photoshop sees videos as a batch of still images. At 24 FPS a 5 minute video has 7200 still images. Just imagine how long it would take photoshop to stitch together a 7200 image panorama and that’s roughly how long it will take to to render a 5 minute video in photoshop. BTW you need to make the layer a smart object or it’s gonna just render the current frame over and over again when you try to export.

Using my trick you don’t actually use photoshop to render you are basically just creating a universal “pre-set” in the form of a LUT which then can be rendered in a program that is better suited to render video.

Although I have video editing software (cyberlink power director) windows media player does a fine job to just view on my pc before editing.

That’s because you didn’t export a frame like I said ?. Export a frame from whatever you use as for NLE. If using a Mac, the photos app can actually do this real easily.

You were editing the actual video in photoshop and so you are gonna find when you try to export that video it’s gonna take FOREVER to render out because photoshop sees videos as a batch of still images. At 24 FPS a 5 minute video has 7200 still images. Just imagine how long it would take photoshop to stitch together a 7200 image panorama and that’s roughly how long it will take to to render a 5 minute video in photoshop. BTW you need to make the layer a smart object or it’s gonna just render the current frame over and over again when you try to export.

Using my trick you don’t actually use photoshop to render you are basically just creating a universal “pre-set” in the form of a LUT which then can be rendered in a program that is better suited to render video.

Brett, I don't think we're understanding each other. I admit that I didn't "export a frame from whatever I use as for NLE [in order to] use adjustment layers in photoshop". My point was that I could use adjustment layers in Photoshop without exporting/importing any frames for BG layer, and Photoshop was able to render the video in real time (as opposed to "forever"). My problem was that Photoshop didn't open H.265 clips. I didn't study the matter further because I use Pinnacle for NLE.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa