DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vision Positioning Over Water

PhotobyWD

Reactions
While reading the online manual for the DJI Go 4 app I read to "enable vision positioning unless flying over water". I am interested in hearing if any pilots experienced in flying over water enable or disable vision positioning for flying over water. Thanks in advance for your response.

How far away from the surface of the water will you be flying?

Others will chime in what they do but I fly over water more than land now and I keep my sensors off.
Do anyway except with the M2P which they come on in modes but never are using one low anyway .
I always try and stay at least 10' above water and just pan my camera down to make it look like I am lower .
Is what I do anyway .

Others will chime in what they do but I fly over water more than land now and I keep my sensors off.
Do anyway except with the M2P which they come on in modes but never are using one low anyway .
I always try and stay at least 10' above water and just pan my camera down to make it look like I am lower .
Is what I do anyway .
Thanks for your reply I wouldn't fly lower then 10 ft doubt if I would even fly that low. I have a MA and have never flown over water, just want to be sure I get it right. Thanks again

Reactions: dirkclod
I recently was hovering over a calm creek about 6 ft off the surface with the sensors on and did notice that the mavic would drift. When i had my mavic 1 i would leave the sensors on and fly over water all the time with no issues. I think if you are moving over the water its not an issue.

I wouldn't fly lower then 10 ft doubt if I would even fly that low
The downward sensors are only able to detect the ground (or water in this case) at up to an altitude of about 26 feet. If you're flying higher than that, those sensors will not be used. If flying lower than that, you likely won't run into any trouble unless you're attempting to hover in place over the water and the downward sensors aren't able to detect the water. And at that point, the worst that'll happen is your Mavic won't be able to hold its horizontal position as precisely.

While reading the online manual for the DJI Go 4 app I read to "enable vision positioning unless flying over water". I am interested in hearing if any pilots experienced in flying over water enable or disable vision positioning for flying over water. Thanks in advance for your response.

I don't find that information anywhere in the manual. Most I found was it stating that caution should be used. When I search the manual for your quote, nothing shows up. When I search for "water", 6 entries are found and, as mentioned, it only recommends caution.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf

The OP is flying a Mavic Air. But, you're right, the DJI manual does not suggest disabling the downward sensors when flying over water. However, it might be the appropriate thing to do in some cases (like @Mavic Ray's example above).

I fly over water 99.9% of the time, that’s my flying ground or should I say my flying water;). I’ve got a M2P, I don’t turn any of the sensors off and to date had no problems at all. I hovering 10/15 foot from the water a lot of the time trying to get a nice photo, still with no problems.

The only thing you must watch and be conscious of is the battery life, I’m monitoring that all the time, very important, more so over water.

I’ve also got another landing place just in case I do come into any problems.

It’s just like flying over land but a bit wetter;);)

Last edited:
The first time I flew my MP it was over water in the Maldives lol. I didn’t turn any sensors off but did notice that it wouldn’t hold its horizontal position that well.

I have flown my MA over water to a lighthouse 1 Mile out. I didn't turn off any sensors but flew at approx. 50 Ft.

The statement I made is in the online manual. I copied it in my "before you fly notes", I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't read it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun