DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting USA (New York). Should I register my drone?

dsmpampis

Reactions
In about two weeks I'm planning to visit New York for the first time and it will be awesome to make some Videos and Photos of the Big Apple but in order to be allowed to fly my Mavic should I register it first or/and should I have an FAA registration?

** off topic **
I'm gonna need also a pre paid SIM card, can someone recommend one.?

Thanks in advance!

In about two weeks I'm planning to visit New York for the first time and it will be awesome to make some Videos and Photos of the Big Apple but in order to be allowed to fly my Mavic should I register it first or/and should I have an FAA registration?

** off topic **
I'm gonna need also a pre paid SIM card, can someone recommend one.?

Thanks in advance!
Trying to do this in a general way:

1) Assuming you are doing this for fun, not for income, then you do not register your drone. At one time you needed to register yourself, and your number needed to be on the drone. Earlier this year this was tossed out by a US district court due to procedure, not particularly do to the concept. So today, when flying for fun, you do not need to register.

2) Laws can and do change. To the best of my knowledge, this is the current bill with a laundry list of new drone rules for the USA:

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr2997/BILLS-115hr2997rh.pdf

This is what we call a bill. A bill can not be inforced until it becomes a law. So, how does a bill become a law? Okay, about half the members here between 45 and 60 years old are going to get mad because as soon as they click this link, this song will be stuck in their head. ;-)

3) In the USA, our president gets a no fly zone that travels with them. Most of Manhatten is a no fly zone when the president is in town or restricted operations all the time. President Trump lives in Manhatten just south of Central Park, although he spends a lot of time at other locations such as his vacation home in Florida and the presidential mansion called the White Hourse in Washington DC. Honestly, he's almost never staying at the White House. He doesn't like it, and he really doesn't like the presidential aircraft, a Boeing 747 that uses the call sign Air Force One when the president is onboard. His own jet, a very capable 757 and his own homes are nicer then the 747 and White House. USA is a confusing place, we have layers of laws and local ordnances. I have flown my drone in New York State but not in New York City. Most of the Manhatten drone videos you see onYouTube were taken before current laws or shot from New Jersey or Brooklyn with the Manhatten skyline in the background or were filmed illegally.

4) If your going to New York City as a tourist you are likely going to Manhatten. If you are a tourist in Manhatten, at some point you are likely going to go to Time Square. If you go to Time Square, you will see large red steps at one end. Walk past them. Behind the red steps is a M&M's World candy store. Keep walking for another two city blocks to 1666 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. Finally (insert the sound of angels harmonizing here) you will see a store with three letters.... DJI

Now go inside, but try not to drool on anything.

....and have fun! IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6545.JPG

Last edited:
Trying to do this in a general way:

1) Assuming you are doing this for fun, not for income, then you do not register your drone. At one time you needed to register yourself, and your number needed to be on the drone. Earlier this year this was tossed out by a US district court due to procedure, not particularly do to the concept. So today, when flying for fun, you do not need to register.

2) Laws can and do change. To the best of my knowledge, this is the current bill with a laundry list of new drone rules for the USA:

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr2997/BILLS-115hr2997rh.pdf

This is what we call a bill. A bill can not be inforced until it become a law. So, how does a bill become a law? Okay, about half the members here between 45 and 60 years old are going to get mad because as soon as they click this link, this song will be stuck in their head. ;-)

3) In the USA, our president gets a no fly zone that travels with them. Most of Manhatten is a no fly zone when the president is in town or restricted operations all the time. President Trump lives in Manhatten just south of Central Park, although he spends a lot of time at other locations such as his vacation home in Florida and the presidential mansion called the White Hourse in Washington DC. Honestly, he's almost never staying at the White House. He doesn't like it, and he really doesn't like the presidential aircraft, a Boeing 747 that uses the call sign Air Force One when the president is onboard. His own jet, a very capable 757 and his own homes are nicer then the 747 and White House. USA is a confusing place, we have layers of laws and local ordnances. I have flown my drone in New York State but not in New York City. Most of the Manhatten drone videos you see onYouTube were taken before current laws or shot from New Jersey or Brooklyn with the Manhatten skyline in the background or were filmed illegally.

4) If your going to New York City as a tourist you are likely going to Manhatten. If you are a tourist in Manhatten, at some point you are likely going to go to Time Square. If you go to Time Square, you will see large red steps at one end. Walk past them. Behind the red steps is a M&M's World candy store. Keep walking for another two city blocks to 1666 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. Finally (insert the sound of angels harmonizing here) you will see a store with three letters.... DJI

Now go inside, but try not to drool on anything.

....and have fun! View attachment 21687 View attachment 21688

Thanks a lot for your answer! To be honest I don't want to fly my Mavic in the middle of NYC and I'll try(if the weather gonna be good) to make some photos and videos of the Skylines from the Brooklyn side.

I also have my name and my address on my drone because here in Germany it's a obligation to have that on the drone and of course an insurance.

As I understand I don't need anything else (except for having my number and my address on the drone that I already have).

Definitely I'm going to visit the store!

Once again thanks for your help!

Reactions: DougAles
IMG_8797.JPG Hope you have a great time.

My tips:

Dont walk from Manhatten to Brooklyn over the Brooklyn bridge. Take the subway to Brookly then walk back. This way the Manhatten skyline is in front of you. You will find many photo opportunities.

If you are coming before Christmas, consider checking out my YouTube video about NYC at Christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsmpampis
View attachment 21693 Hope you have a great time.

My tips:

Dont walk from Manhatten to Brooklyn over the Brooklyn bridge. Take the subway to Brookly then walk back. This way the Manhatten skyline is in front of you. You will find many photo opportunities.

If you are coming before Christmas, consider checking out my YouTube video about NYC at Christmas.

Thanks a lot for the tips.
We will be in NYC next Saturday and we are gonna stay one week(I hope it's enough...)

Reactions: DougAles
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78