DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLC Player no longer recommended

I did try MPC-BE, at first I thought it was great but it can’t play some of my video (not necessarily from my Mavic) without purchasing codecs, the free program is no longer free.
It's definately free. It's open source. I've had no problems opening anything with it. Never paid for any codecs either.

It's definately free. It's open source. I've had no problems opening anything with it. Never paid for any codecs either.

Just formatted my PC (was having issues so thought start afresh) I will have to install all my programs again, I will see how it runs when I get everything back up & running.

Reactions: Malcx and Tufargon
If anyone is using VLC I would appreciate some feedback on how it is working for you.

It's working for me, but asking others here for comparison is going to get complicated because of the varied differences in our machines (CPU, GPU, system and video card memory, SSDs, other hardware with drivers, versions of drivers updated on one machine but not the other).

Another thing to note: you might want to test your files through the entire workflow, if you do video editing. That is, if your drone video is just source for video projects, then you might put it through a bit of editing, the save out to the same format / compression you usually save to, to see if the yaw jutter still exists in that footage.

You can also transcode down from your source files in some editors, so the yaw jutter might not happen in your editing environment.

On the other hand, if your main interest is just to play back the video of your flights without editing, that's no help to you.

Chris

VLC player is now out of favour after thinking something was wrong with my M2P.
I posted on another thread that I was having problems with stuttering video when I yaw.
I deleted my last video files in a little temper tantrum because the stuttering was so bad.
I then tested out all the different video settings, still stuttered with yaw.
Thought maybe I should do the latest update for my Smart Controller (what a pain that was)
After the update no different.
The only option left was it must be my PC so I rolled back to a restore point, this resulted in opening video in the default Windows media player and no stutter, YEY.
I attempted to play with VLC and the stutter returned, reinstall VLC but no better.
I have recommended VLC for as many years I can remember but after the frustration is caused it’s off the list now.
If anyone is using VLC I would appreciate some feedback on how it is working for you.

well im glad im not alone. Yes vlc gives stuttery when in full mode. But if not in full mode it wont give stutter

VLC player is now out of favour after thinking something was wrong with my M2P.
I posted on another thread that I was having problems with stuttering video when I yaw.
I deleted my last video files in a little temper tantrum because the stuttering was so bad.
I then tested out all the different video settings, still stuttered with yaw.
Thought maybe I should do the latest update for my Smart Controller (what a pain that was)
After the update no different.
The only option left was it must be my PC so I rolled back to a restore point, this resulted in opening video in the default Windows media player and no stutter, YEY.
I attempted to play with VLC and the stutter returned, reinstall VLC but no better.
I have recommended VLC for as many years I can remember but after the frustration is caused it’s off the list now.
Same with me - using now QuickTime Player and Elmedia on iMac

This is a test shot I know it was windy but it is terrible when I play it in VLC
I tested out all settings on different clips including h265 & h265
I know some of the sky is overexposed but I was only out to test the yaw

There are two things that are uncomfortable reviewing the yaw test.
1. The footage is not fluid, it is missing the cinematic motion blur. Which could be because it may have been filmed at a shutter speed of 1/60s or less. What shutter value was used?
2. There is an uncomfortable random stutter. If I eyeball track the chimney at the beginning, even in the first 10 seconds it is noticeable. It is if as though you have shot at 60fps, and rendered at 24fps, and you have frames dropped

I reviewed the Vimeo footage on a Samsang Tablet, and have no trouble with Netflix & co., others may have better results.

I have never notice issues with players but have had problems with stuttering video with slow SD or damaged SD cards

in the first 10 seconds it is noticeable. It is if as though you have shot at 60fps, and rendered at 24fps, and you have frames dropped

4K, 30 fps, 1/60 shutter, Sandisk Extreme U3.
Haven't had a chance to get out & fly to test things again due to wind, rain, and my leg still playing up after an accidented.

Ditto experience of OP, same in all respects. VLC MP showing annoying stutter on yaw, especially in high res. of course, 2.7K and up; WMP works stutter-free. Who would have thunk it? I've been installing/using/recommending VLC MP for years telling people whose systems I support they never need to think about using any other media player. Well, no longer it seems, or at least not at the moment until VLC does whatever's needed to fix this issue.

I am using VLC Media Player (2.2.6 Umbrella) and I have no problems. I am also using Zoom Player MAX v.9.3 and no problems also.

OS is Win 10 64bit

Last edited:
Have you checked this setting. On playback, what this is set too DOES make a difference. You might need to restart VLC if you change this setting. Try different ones and see what happens.

VLC options.jpg

Make sure you have enough hard drive space to play a 4K video. If you have under 20 GB of space you start to get issues on playback. This still happens even if you’re playing the video from an SD card. FYI.

I use this website to get and test different software that they recommend.
I still have not ran into the problem you have wrote about with VLC.

VLC is still running fine and smooth as ever for me (Win10 / VLC3.0.11).
It's usually a driver issue but perhaps not if the rollback didn't help.

Were the problem files h264 or h265? Do you have a sample one you can share?
How do you change from h264 to h265 or vis versa? I saw a thread couple of days ago with same problem and the switch fixed it.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN