DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS Reality Check

Actually, what he says is true especially about Night Flying! I’ll look up and check my Mavic Pro 2 out at night but when you fly at night, you’re basically on your own! No Sensor help and you may run into something you can’t see!
That's where situational awareness comes into a play. As you mentions, sensors don't work at night. You have to compensate for that by flying higher than normal, or making sure you know what your MOCA (minimum obstacle clearance altitude) is.

But BVLOS can be extended at night with correctly positioned lighting. The FAA doesn't allow it, but for all practical reasons, it can be used under a waiver application.

Reactions: maggior
I was always taught when you can see both navigational lights, say the phrase; Red-Right-Return.

Works on land, in the sea and air. ;)
If you see both the read and the green, something is heading directly toward you.

Red, right, returning will lead your vessel inbound in a marked channel.

With respect, are you suggesting that there is an acceptable death rate for non involved people stemming from the use of something that, for probably the vast majority of users, is an entertainment or passing phase for those users?
Maybe for Poms, but for Aussies, I think the acceptable death rate should be zero ....

With respect, are you suggesting that there is an acceptable death rate for non involved people stemming from the use of something that, for probably the vast majority of users, is an entertainment or passing phase for those users?

Far more people have already died as a result of being hit by either a baseball or a golf ball, the use of which is purely for entertainment.

How often are baseballs hit into crowded grandstands, or golf balls launched out of sight (BVLOS) over trees into the next fairway, etc? And yet society has somehow come to accept that risk as normal and acceptable.

Pretty much any sport or entertainment activity will already have demonstrated a greater rate of fatality compared to the ZERO deaths attributed to the recreational use of multi-rotor drones, even those that have been blatantly flown BVLOS.

Far more people have already died as a result of being hit by either a baseball or a golf ball, the use of which is purely for entertainment.
Maybe for Poms, but for Aussies, I think the acceptable death rate should be zero ....

Poms and Aussies can substitute even more lethal cricket balls for the baseballs in my previous post. :)

If you see both the read and the green, something is heading directly toward you.

I was responding to @vindibona1 when he said "if I could remember that when facing me green is on the left and when away it's on the right".

The Phrase 'red-right return' is to remind us that when red is on the right, it (the vessel/aircraft) is returning/coming towards us - I agree. It is a means to distinguish direction.

Stay on topic!

Reactions: Vic Moss
I'll give you can find it in the sky, but at 2000', in the dark, can you VISUALLY tell orientation or attitude? Where are the red and green lights that denote starboard and port?The FAA rule does not allow using the display to gain that info.
In addition to the Firehouse strope on the top plus I use 2 more Firehouse color strobes on the arms. One faces forward on the left and the other backwards on the right. I simply yaw the drone and can tell its orientation.

I fly BLVOS regularly. And I have no qualms about who knows it. Even the FAA folks I am good friends with know this. I fly monthly stockpile flights that are 90% BLVOS, and 100% safe.

The FAA knows this is safer that regs allow at the moment. And we are working on ways to help the FAA expedite BVLOS rule changes. Our report will be ready to present at the March AAAC committee meeting.

Kenji and I will also be releasing the application process of our BVLOS waivers next month. That should also help get more BVLOS folks in the air legally as well.
Can you explain to me how, under FAA rules, it is possible to fly an FPV drone like an Avata with goggles. other than indoors or without a waiver? It would seem that flying in this way is by definition a violation of the VLOS rules.

Can you explain to me how, under FAA rules, it is possible to fly an FPV drone like an Avata with goggles. other than indoors or without a waiver? It would seem that flying in this way is by definition a violation of the VLOS rules.
I have a waiver for that. One of three in the country. For the moment. We're releasing the process next month so others and get theirs.

Easy, you must have a Visual Observer "co-located" with the PIC. It's spelled out.

Easy, you must have a Visual Observer "co-located" with the PIC. It's spelled out.
Co-located for recreational, but not for 107. Under 107, both the VO and the RPIC must maintain the ability of VLOS, and be in communication with each other.

Reactions: Tufargon
How does the RPIC maintain VLOS while wearing goggles?
You have to maintain the ability. You have to be able to take the goggle off and see the drone. But there are waivers that give you permission to fly FPV w/o a VO.

Reds on the left, greens on the right. if you somehow see red on the right it's not coming towards you. Maybe in water channel but not air.

You have to maintain the ability. You have to be able to take the goggle off and see the drone. But there are waivers that give you permission to fly FPV w/o a VO.
This is why I asked this if you, Vic, with your in depth knowledge of the regulations. Does this mean that as a Part 107 pilot I could fly recreationally and use a VO while wearing goggles? Or am I forever banned from this type of operation without a waiver?

Reds on the left, greens on the right. if you somehow see red on the right it's not coming towards you. Maybe in water channel but not air.
aircraft_lights.png

If you see both a red and green light on an airplane or a boat, it's coming toward you.
(Marine navigation lights are visible through a 112.5 degree arc from the bow.)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique