DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WA State Drone Law, flying over private property?

wildlifr

Reactions
Can someone clarify for me the rules regarding flying over someones property? I understand there was some fairly strict proposed legislature about this topic, but it's unclear to me if any laws were actually passed. I'm talking about launching from my yard or a friends yard in a neighborhood and passing over nearby properties. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of a good source of information for the most current WA state drone laws?

The DJIGO4 App will alert you to no fly zones as defined by the FAA. It will not allow you to take off if within 5 miles of an airport , heliport, etc.
You can also check the FAA app - B4UFLY . UAV Forecast is a good app to determine flight conditions as well.

Fly at 120 feet AGL and the Mavic Pro is very quiet from the ground. Dont hover over peoples property and you should be in good shape.

FAA has jurisdiction over the airspace. Not some local tin star sheriff.

Hi wildlifr,
So, I am newer to the industry and drone regulations, but I am aware of a couple important things you might consider:

1.) resident-public can ask to get a "no-fly" area or indicator over their property (like on Airmaps), similar to what you would see from other areas such as airports. This is not legally binding, and if pursued by the landowner, they may lose in court. In other words, there are no (current) laws of "flying over" (especially in our great state of WA. These indicators are used to help responsible drone owners to avoid these areas as much as possible...like schools. So if you see one, just be a solid person and show some respect. If someone is complaining try to communicate what you are doing to alleviate worry. That being said you must be careful to not invade privacy ... i.e. - hovering above someone's window or property with intent to 'survey" or "spy". (your flight data can prove or disprove if you do this) Our neighboring state of Idaho has passed special legislation to define spying or surveilling, but they as well as WA, have pretty free and open drone laws (except Seattle area parks).

2.) There are tons of places to find local and state laws, but Sarah Nillson has a website that is chocked full of the most valuable drone information known to man...(maybe a bit of an over exaggeration) ;) here is a link to her website and the Washington Laws.

Main website: Sarah Nilsson - Welcome
(Drone tab) on the main website: Sarah Nilsson - Drone
Washington State laws on her website: Sarah Nilsson - Washington

Hope this helps!
R.J.

Reactions: Bytored
The DJIGO4 App will alert you to no fly zones as defined by the FAA. It will not allow you to take off if within 5 miles of an airport , heliport, etc.
You can also check the FAA app - B4UFLY . UAV Forecast is a good app to determine flight conditions as well.

Fly at 120 feet AGL and the Mavic Pro is very quiet from the ground. Dont hover over peoples property and you should be in good shape.

FAA has jurisdiction over the airspace. Not some local tin star sheriff.
I was looking more for laws regarding privacy. Also, the DJI app will let you take off if within 5 miles of an airport or helipad. It better, considering it's completely legal as long as it's not controlled airspace.

Hi wildlifr,
So, I am newer to the industry and drone regulations, but I am aware of a couple important things you might consider:

1.) resident-public can ask to get a "no-fly" area or indicator over their property (like on Airmaps), similar to what you would see from other areas such as airports. This is not legally binding, and if pursued by the landowner, they may lose in court. In other words, there are no (current) laws of "flying over" (especially in our great state of WA. These indicators are used to help responsible drone owners to avoid these areas as much as possible...like schools. So if you see one, just be a solid person and show some respect. If someone is complaining try to communicate what you are doing to alleviate worry. That being said you must be careful to not invade privacy ... i.e. - hovering above someone's window or property with intent to 'survey" or "spy". (your flight data can prove or disprove if you do this) Our neighboring state of Idaho has passed special legislation to define spying or surveilling, but they as well as WA, have pretty free and open drone laws (except Seattle area parks).

2.) There are tons of places to find local and state laws, but Sarah Nillson has a website that is chocked full of the most valuable drone information known to man...(maybe a bit of an over exaggeration) ;) here is a link to her website and the Washington Laws.

Main website: Sarah Nilsson - Welcome
(Drone tab) on the main website: Sarah Nilsson - Drone
Washington State laws on her website: Sarah Nilsson - Washington

Hope this helps!
R.J.
Yep, that's the type of info. I was looking for. I have no intention of hovering over someones property, but if I pass over the property at say 100ft. or so and he tells me I'm breaking the law, I want to know if that's true. Sounds like it's not. Thanks again.

The rules for not being able to fly within 5 miles of airports or heliports is absolutely BS because there is basically no such thing as being more than 5 miles away from one

You have to be crazy close for most DJI consumer drones to even tell who a person is, so pretty easy not to get into trouble with privacy laws.
We know that, home owners and courts etc don't.

Certainly it would seem privacy issues occur when you invade someones space where they would normally expect privacy.
Outdoor pool / entertainment area, behind a fenced yard, directly into windows, etc, so hovering (even innocently videoing / photographing a distant sunset) for any particular time could be construed by a home owner as invading their privacy.

Whether you could defend this in court with the flight log, the photo / video you were taking, an example of a photo from above you own home at the same height showing just how little can be distinguished, etc, in another matter.

And one best avoided, so I guess fly over, non stop, get any landscape photos etc from over a vacant space (not a lot in the middle of a bunch of homes), and do so from a decent altitude.

If I was ever going to fly near suburbs, I don't think I'd fly 100' over any urban property even briefly, that's like 35 paces, too close to avoid issues.

How high is high enough not to be a nonsense? My thinking would be high enough that the drone isn't heard and it's not loitering over the property.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The rule that you have to see the drone itself is also BS because these drones are so tiny you could legally only fly like 50’ away. I get the line of sight thing but basically make sure I can see the area where the drone is but not necessarily the drone itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato