DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waivers for flying at night/ above LAANC limits near an airport

DronyMontana

Reactions
Hi everybody,

I am a Part107-licensed videographer for a University located not far from a Class C Airport. I'm interested in getting authorizations for two things:
-Flying above the 200ft LAANC limit
-Flying at night

I'm a bit confused about what type of waiver to fill out for this.

Should I fill out a single waiver, requesting to fly up to 400ft AGL and check all the boxes in the TIMEFRAME section (sunrise-noon, noon-4pm, 4pm-sunset, night)? Or should I fill out a separate waiver application for the night waiver?

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for samples of what people have entered into the risk mitigation section in order to help assure approval?

I’m trying to be as safe and by-the-book as possible, but all the information can be a bit overwhelming.

Update: So it turns out since the airport I am requesting authorization in is LAANC capable, DroneZone won't even allow me to submit an airspace authorization waiver there. So where do I find the proper place to request authorization?

Hi everybody,

I am a Part107-licensed videographer for a University located not far from a Class C Airport. I'm interested in getting authorizations for two things:
-Flying above the 200ft LAANC limit
-Flying at night

I'm a bit confused about what type of waiver to fill out for this.

Should I fill out a single waiver, requesting to fly up to 400ft AGL and check all the boxes in the TIMEFRAME section (sunrise-noon, noon-4pm, 4pm-sunset, night)? Or should I fill out a separate waiver application for the night waiver?

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for samples of what people have entered into the risk mitigation section in order to help assure approval?

I’m trying to be as safe and by-the-book as possible, but all the information can be a bit overwhelming.
You need to apply for a section 107.29 waiver and once you get it, THEN apply for the airspace authorization through DroneZone.

Not all Class C airspace is 24 hours, so be sure to check the hours of operation. If the airspace is not operational then it isn’t class c airspace at that time and you dont need an airspace authorization. This is one of the most overlooked parts of 107.29 Waivers.

I’m sure you already saw the examples and guidance from the FAA about the risk mitigation?

You need to apply for a section 107.29 waiver and once you get it, THEN apply for the airspace authorization through DroneZone.

Hi Brett,

Just as a test, I tried to apply for airspace authorization through DroneZone as though I already received my 107.29 waiver, and got this message as soon as I selected the airport (see attachment).

From the FAA website:
"LAANC authorizations cannot be combined with Part 107 waivers. For example, if you get permission to fly in Class D airspace through a LAANC application, and you already have a waiver to fly at night, you may not combine the permissions to fly in that Class D airspace at night. In order to fly in controlled airspace using your waiver, you must submit a request for an airspace authorization via the DroneZone."

So what do I do in this instance?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.37.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.37.31 AM.png
    421.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi Brett,

Just as a test, I tried to apply for airspace authorization through DroneZone as though I already received my 107.29 waiver, and got this message as soon as I selected the airport (see attachment).

So what do I do in this instance?
So just press ok and continue with the authorization process.

“Operations at airports where the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is active *that do not require an operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205* should use the LAANC automated capability.”

That is an informative message not an error message. It is telling you that the airport is already LAANC enabled so if you just need a simple airspace authorization “that do[es] not require an operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205” do so through LAANC.

However, you DO need a part 107.29 operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205 to be associated with this authorization so YOU need to continue through DroneZone (which is not LAANC) to get the proper airspace authorization you desire which is to fly in controlled airspace at night.

Be sure to check the box that says YES on the question:
“IS THERE A PENDING OR APPROVED WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROPOSED OPERATION?
F22757BF-5463-46C0-8441-B4F387E00447.jpeg
This is why you’ll need the 107.29 waiver first (or at least already applied for apparently) before submitting your airspace authorization request.

Does that make sense?

From the FAA website:
"LAANC authorizations cannot be combined with Part 107 waivers. For example, if you get permission to fly in Class D airspace through a LAANC application, and you already have a waiver to fly at night, you may not combine the permissions to fly in that Class D airspace at night. In order to fly in controlled airspace using your waiver, you must submit a request for an airspace authorization via the DroneZone."
This is precisely what I am telling you how to do

So just press ok and continue with the authorization process.

“Operations at airports where the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is active *that do not require an operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205* should use the LAANC automated capability.”

That is an informative message not an error message. It is telling you that the airport is already LAANC enabled so if you just need a simple airspace authorization “that do[es] not require an operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205” do so through LAANC.

However, you DO need a part 107.29 operational waiver under 14 CFR 107.205 to be associated with this authorization so YOU need to continue through DroneZone (which is not LAANC) to get the proper airspace authorization you desire which is to fly in controlled airspace at night.

Be sure to check the box that says YES on the question:
“IS THERE A PENDING OR APPROVED WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROPOSED OPERATION?
View attachment 97606
This is why you’ll need the 107.29 waiver first (or at least already applied for apparently) before submitting your airspace authorization request.

Does that make sense?

This is precisely what I am telling you how to do

Tried it and it worked! Thanks so much!

Last question: Would you recommend actually waiting until I get the approval for the 107.29 waiver, or do you think it would be okay to wait a week or two and then submit this airspace authorization waiver? I'd prefer not to wait up to 6 months if I don't have to...

Tried it and it worked! Thanks so much!

Last question: Would you recommend actually waiting until I get the approval for the 107.29 waiver, or do you think it would be okay to wait a week or two and then submit this airspace authorization waiver? I'd prefer not to wait up to 6 months if I don't have to...
I think you need to have at least submitted your 107.29 waiver application before submitting the airspace authorization request.

At the beginning of the waiver application process there is this screenDC5C1336-1AD6-4BD3-8F8E-50999280B6B8.jpeg

The middle option is the one you want to choose and it does not take months to get approved. Days to weeks in normal times but with the way the world is right now that could be longer (who knows, maybe shorter?) but I wouldn’t expect 6 months.

The third option, an Airspace Waiver, is what can take months.

Reactions: DronyMontana
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242