DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Walking on frozen lake in Sweden - Lessons learned

logge

Reactions
I recently visited Sweden and since it was -15 degrees C (5 F) the nearby lake was completely frozen over. A great opportunity to go for a walk and of course to take the Mavic for a spin. In the video you'll also see the traditional Swedish ice transportation device: The Kick (Spark)

Lessons learned from flying in such low temperatures

The Mavic itself worked wonderfully despite the cold. I didn't even notice a big drop in battery time.
  • Check that your phone can handle the cold. My old iPhone 6s shutdown after just a few minutes of use meaning I had to control the Mavic without the video feed. Difficult when filming. My new Android phone (OnePlus 5T) worked flawlessly however, not having any problems with the cold (30+ minutes use).
  • Flying with gloves is terrible. I ended up using a small pen for touch screens which made it possible to enable automatic flight modes and change settings without taking off the gloves all the time.
  • The cold might have affected the gimbal somewhat. I noticed weird leaning images and jerkiness when stopping the Mavic that I didn't see before (could be a coincident).
  • Automatic flight modes work really great thanks to the high contrast with the snow :)
  • Swedish parents are not great at spelling

Feedback is welcome

I really liked the diagonal shots where you were gaining altitude and using course lock to keep the camera pointed in the direction of your intended subject. You needed a few sled dogs for that "kick" thing. :)

I really liked the diagonal shots where you were gaining altitude and using course lock to keep the camera pointed in the direction of your intended subject. You needed a few sled dogs for that "kick" thing. :)

Thanks!

I agree, a couple of dogs would really have kicked up things a notch :D

Same place in the summer, pretty different!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78