DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warm Batteries in Storage

kitsap2

Reactions
Something I noticed today regarding the batteries. I keep my MA2 Fly More Combo inside the, Lykus M1 backpack. When I opened the backpack today to charge the batteries for flight, I reached in, pulled out a battery and noticed that it was warm. This definitely alarmed me. I pulled another battery out and it was warm, too, just not as warm as the first (both batteries indicted three steady led's with the fourth led in blinking status). The third battery I pulled was cold, but it had drained to just one led indicator. I had charged all three using the combo charger about 4 days ago to full capacity (I have only flown on two occasions, so far).

Right now, I'm charging the nearly dead battery via the single, charging cable, not the combo charger. I don't think I'll be storing my batteries inside the Lykus M1 unless I'm on my way to fly the MA2.

Anyone else experience warm batteries while in storage. I know they are "intelligent" and slowly bleeding off capacity, as they are intended to do.

Something I noticed today regarding the batteries. I keep my MA2 Fly More Combo inside the, Lykus M1 backpack. When I opened the backpack today to charge the batteries for flight, I reached in, pulled out a battery and noticed that it was warm. This definitely alarmed me. I pulled another battery out and it was warm, too, just not as warm as the first (both batteries indicted three steady led's with the fourth led in blinking status). The third battery I pulled was cold, but it had drained to just one led indicator. I had charged all three using the combo charger about 4 days ago to full capacity (I have only flown on two occasions, so far).

Right now, I'm charging the nearly dead battery via the single, charging cable, not the combo charger. I don't think I'll be storing my batteries inside the Lykus M1 unless I'm on my way to fly the MA2.

Anyone else experience warm batteries while in storage. I know they are "intelligent" and slowly bleeding off capacity, as they are intended to do.

Perfectly normal. The batteries are designed to discharge by about a third of capacity after a set period after charging. It is intended to prolong the life of the batteries that degrade if left fully charged or worse - flat.

The heat is a result of the energy being safely released.

The latest firmware update reduced the number of days before the discharge process begins to two. It can be manually set up to and including 10-days.

Reactions: kitsap2
Perfectly normal. The batteries are designed to discharge by about a third of capacity after a set period after charging. It is intended to prolong the life of the batteries that degrade if left fully charged or worse - flat.

The latest firmware update reduced the number of days before the discharge process begins to two. It can be manually set up to and including 10-days.

Thanks, SkyeHigh, appreciate your input. Sorry you're stuck away from home.

Anybody know where and how you change the discharge process of batteries eg from two days to more with MA2? I know, it is probably in the manual, just me avoiding ploughing through it again, your probable accusations re me being lazy will be accepted with grace, I'm just short of time at present due to a wife job list!

Anybody know where and how you change the discharge process of batteries eg from two days to more with MA2? I know, it is probably in the manual, just me avoiding ploughing through it again, your probable accusations re me being lazy will be accepted with grace, I'm just short of time at present due to a wife job list!

The discharge process is not adjustable.

You can't. 24 hrs without use - discharge to 96%. 5 days without use - discharge to 60%. That's it, no option to change.

Correction:
The latest firmware update for the Mavic 2’s reduced the number of days before the discharge process begins to two. It can be manually set up to and including 10-days in the Go4 app.

As the hardware and logic already exists in the Air2 to perform the discharge function, I see no reason why this feature should not be added to the Go Fly app in a future update.

One additional battery "feature": when it has auto-discharged to 96% at the 24 hour mark, you cannot top it off to 100% unless you first bleed it down to 95%! That's what the iUSB battery adapter is best used for, included in the Combo kit! Plug your phone or iPad into briefly it for charging! Get it down to 95% or below, and then top that sucker off to 100% before flight on the AC charger!

Interesting, I knew about the batteries getting warm during self-discharge but did not know they won't fully charge 100% unless they are below 95%. Thanks for sharing that. Proof positive "ya learn something new every day" :)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I found this forum looking for an answer to why my batteries were warm. To paraphrase Victor Kiam*, I liked it so much, I decided to join.

*Does anyone else remember him.?

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic