DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I rude?

You can get them on Amazon as Dale stated but some of the ones on Amazon are made by Kwiksafety. If you go tho their website they will custom print them for you. HERE is a link to their web.
Also ThinkDsignPrint will custom print them. HERE is a link to their web through Esty. I am sure a Google search would bring up other options. I actually have an order in for one for my V.O.

Customization on KwickSafety minimum order 6 pieces
I’ll keep looking

Had a guy approach me while I was flying
[/QUOTe
If it were me, I would just kick myself for picking the wrong location to fly from. Not the wrong place. I think if you try you can always find a spot to launch from without drawing attention.
If someone were to just start asking questions..I would say...I have an extremely low threshold of concentration..I can't talk right now.
I sure don't want to turn a future droner off..and I figure anyone that gets up close to one is going to want one. I did.

Reactions: Thewrightstuff
Here is a screen shot from the 2nd link- I like the one that says Drone Photographer do not disturb for $29 USD

But frankly, I think that this will invite attention! I try to keep as covert as possible. The less people around the better. Prefer to have no human beings anywhere in sight when I fly!

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 11.41.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-09 at 11.41.05 AM.png

I have used this now for years : " Works like a Charm.

Level 1 :
Im practicing for Search and Rescue to see if this area should be considered.

Level 2 : Im searching for my Target

Level 3: I only have 30 minutes to find it.

I have never got to level 3 , lol

It also helps to have a Drone that looks like a Search and Rescue , lights, Wet Suit ,hook, just not a lizard sticker ;)

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain. Float on Water or Ready for Search and Rescue.

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot from the 2nd link- I like the one that says Drone Photographer do not disturb for $29 USD

But frankly, I think that this will invite attention! I try to keep as covert as possible. The less people around the better. Prefer to have no human beings anywhere in sight when I fly!

View attachment 110051View attachment 110051

I am the same way, the problem with this is most assume that this means when the drone is taking off and landing , so when when they do not see the drone , your open to any one curious and there our many. with this much attention do to those Neon Signs.

I find that whenever I launch a drone people appear from nowhere as if by magic.
@THE CYBORG This had me really laughing this morning as I was enjoying my coffee. That's definitely been my experience on many occasions as well.

You aren't being rude at all but are you really concentrating that hard to fly something that will hold its position if you let go of the sticks? Stop and take a bit to share our hobby. I fly FPV now and people stop in my park. I cant just stop but I do have an extra pair of goggles so if they can wait for a minute so I can land and set them up. People LOVE when they get to see what you see and I get ZERO slack from people about flying in the park. They smile and wave when they walk by the next time :)

I mean, it's a Mavic...

So why not just let it hover nearby, inform people of the awesome technology before them.

This has happened to me a couple times and usually I say, "one second, let me get settled here". I follow this by bringing the drone nearby and explaining RTH, the gimbal stabilized camera and the whole lot.

Usually they leave looking at the DJI website, or this website! ?? Even if they were apprehensive at first.

I've had two people now who's wife said, after they both saw the footage, "hey, you have to tell me what drone this is because if I get him this, he'll let me get ________".
Exactly what I do and have had similar feedback - people are generally very interested when you take some time to show them the capabilities of the technology - “what did you say the name was again.......Mavic??” ?

I had a situation the other day that I wondered if anyone could help me understand if I was in the wrong ?

There is a new skate park in the city I live in for skaters and kids on bikes. They do tricks and ride throuhout the different features. There were about 15 people actively using the park when I arrived.

I parked way back in the back of the parking lot, away from everyone - put my drone up and took some footage of the kids riding thru the park. In one instance, I was at about 200 feet above and off to the side of the park, not directly over anyone - and I wanted to do a few hyperlapse shots - so, While "parked" I did one or two hypershop series - and when battery was low, returned to home.

While packing up the Drone, a couple of "kids" - probablyabout 20 years old came over (about 200 yards walk from where they were skating to where I was) and in a threatening manner approached me in an intimidating manner saying I was "uncool" for filming the video. I tried to difuse the situation explaining that my Son is a skater (who lives in Connecticut) and I was only trying to get some footage I could show him - I explained that I was 200 feet up too far to see faces or anything more than general activity in the park. I appologized if I had offended them - tried to show them the videos I had created - and after calling me a "PERV" the kids finally walked away, muttering some unpleasant things as they did.

So - trying to be unobtrusive, I obviously upset these guys - I did not ask permission from the large group of skaters only because I didn't think I needed to - and the group was large enough and so actively involved in skating, it was not really possible to do so.

So - I am curious - did I do anything wrong ? How should I have handled this if I did do something wrong?

At all times I was polite, attempted to show them what I was doing - apologized for whatever it was that had upset them - and so on.

Thoughts?

Twenty year olds are generally......

Oh, and I did forget to mention, I had just taken off in a parking lot, and my drone was high enough to avoid any possible oncoming cars, but was still at a height where a vehicle larger than an average car might've struck it. I told him that I couldn't speak as I had to keep my attention on the drone, in case I didn't make it clear. I would've been ok with talking, but I'm not sure if he expected me to stop what I was doing to talk with him.

When I fly allone (wearing a blue vest with "Pilot" printed on it) and people aproache me, I tell them just to wait untill the drone is back "safety first, you know..." and that then I will take all the time to answer questions. I also have some printed cards with my contact data and a refence to my youtube chanel.
When someone is wiht me, mostly my wife, she has also a blue vest with "Observer" printed on it. If apraoched, she will tell the people that as soon as the drone is in, we have time to talk.
Like someone else mentioned, I also have some ready edited footage on my tablet to show people and if I still have enough battery (second or third battery), I will give them a short demonstration and let them look at the tablet. People will then realize, that the average droney willnot be able to buy the drones you see being used in the movies. Helps to take away some fears people have.

Reactions: Mrveronn
Sow what?
Sow kindness and the fun of your toy!!

Share your experience and knowledge to help put our industry in a better light. The more most people know the less mystery and "worry" they have about it.

Why not just take a moment, hover in a safe position, and show off your fun and exciting toy?

There is a new skate park in the city I live in for skaters and kids on bikes. They do tricks and ride throuhout the different features. There were about 15 people actively using the park when I arrived.

Shortly after getting my drone, I made a video in a skate park full of the 20 somethings. But I took a different approach, I starting by surveying the park and talking with the skaters. Telling them I had a drone and asking who would like to make a fun video. Some people were not into it (one dude says he was wanted by the police), but others were okay with it and even recommended one of the tricksters who was happy to be in the video. It sounds like this skate park is smaller than Geekser's park and was easier to talk to a smaller group. Part of the park is hidden by being under an interstate, I asked those who did not participate to stay away under the interstate to avoid flying near them or filming them. I only had one battery, so we were done filming in 20 minutes. But overall the vibe was positive. Most who didn't want to participate didn't think their skills were up to filming.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure