DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wavy video on Mavic Air

sehyunpc

Reactions
Just picked up Mavic Air yesterday and took it out for a flight. I noticed something strange. The video started with a weird color (from the beginning until 22nd second) and it had wavy/jello effect (3rd second and 19-20s).

In the 22nd second of video, color turned normal. Is this due to the sun or should I bring my Mavic Air back for a different model?

Thank you for your time!

What are your exact video settings? (Manual, Auto, Shutter speed, etc.)

What memory card are you using exactly?

Can you see this in the original footage or only after uploaded to YouTube?

That should help narrow it down.

Thank you for your reply
I was using auto setting since it was my first time flying

Samsung EVO plus 64GB Micro SD Card

I see it in the original footage as well.

I had the weird video exposure too, and i was using the same card as you. I swapped the card for a Sandisk Extreme Plus, and the issue is gone. Didn't get any warning about the Samsung card while in use, but swapping it for the sandisk resolved the problem

Waviness was sun through the props, color was sun at bad angle into lens. The MA's camera easily gets that ugly purple cast anytime the sun hits it.

Reactions: sehyunpc
Thank you for your reply
I was using auto setting since it was my first time flying

Samsung EVO plus 64GB Micro SD Card

I see it in the original footage as well.

It's probably your micro SD card because the Samsung EVO Plus only has a minimum sustained write speed of 10MB/s and 100Mbps 4K video requires 12.5MB/s in order to write properly and not drop frames. Pay no attention to the names of the cards like "Extreme" or "Pro" and whatnot - it means absolutely nothing and manufacturers are putting those same names on many different grades of cards. The maximum theoretical transfer speeds they advertise on the cards like "Up to 100MB/s" also mean nothing for these purposes. Ignore all that. The only thing you need to look for is a "U3" or "V30" symbol indicating that the minimum sustained write speed is 30MB/s which is more than enough to cover you off. And stick to name-brand cards (Sandisk, Lexar, Samsung, Sony, etc.)

Second, learn to use Manual mode as AUTO is going to give you really uneven footage as it constantly tries to adjust the shutter speed and ISO to even out your exposure. You mention it's your first time flying so don't be discouraged at all - I think everything you saw that you didn't like in your video will be resolved by doing the two things I mentioned above.

See my more detailed explanation of memory cards and how they interact with the Mavic Air here:
Tips for New Flyers

Thank you everyone for your responses!!! Very helpful. I just picked up a memory card this morning and as I was reading your response I was worried that I picked up a wrong card, but it has “U3” and “V30” on it (thankfully)!!

I will try to use manual mode next time I’m out.

Happy flying everyone!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Check my post, Occasional Shadow Flutter...... I think it’s what you’re seeing. Caused by sun on the props in certain angles. Similar to what a couple others have said here. The solution is ND filters. I just got mine but have not tested it yet.

Check my post, Occasional Shadow Flutter...... I think it’s what you’re seeing. Caused by sun on the props in certain angles. Similar to what a couple others have said here. The solution is ND filters. I just got mine but have not tested it yet.

ND filters will actually not help anything if there is intermittent light hitting the lens. All they do is reduce the exposure at a constant rate across the entire frame - if you have the drone set for a proper exposure to begin with, a sudden burst of light is going to result in a flicker or positive exposure change regardless of if there is a ND filter on the camera or not.

ND filters will actually not help anything if there is intermittent light hitting the lens. All they do is reduce the exposure at a constant rate across the entire frame - if you have the drone set for a proper exposure to begin with, a sudden burst of light is going to result in a flicker or positive exposure change regardless of if there is a ND filter on the camera or not.
A member named Kloogee replied to my post about prop shadow/flutter, and seemed to be very informed, with regards to this issue. Here's the thread link: Occasional shadow flutter in shot Kloogee posted his detailed reply, along with a video he made that demonstrates how an ND filter would reduce this type of prop shadow. I have since tried my filter and have not seen the problem in my resulting video footage. But, you obviously know something about this, so maybe it's not a cut and dry solution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada